Virtuous PvP

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Kain3, Jan 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

I wouldn't be so bold as to generalize with terms like "Trammel crowd" and the likes.
    As for your reason to keep virtues out of PvP camp, I would like to counter that if you want to make a healthy game which balances both camps, you have to give incentives for people to not only participate but also to feel that PvP reflects who they are and who they want their characters to be. That way you win some more people since it doesnt end up being another "lets-beat-each-other" game (as far as PvP is concerned).

PvP camp isnt misunderstood, its just that it gives off an image of a one-track mind.
    FYI I like PvP, but beating each other does get boring after a while if it doesnt actually affect your character as a person.

vjek and Umbrae like this.
  2. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

No the PvP camp is definitely misunderstood, because we don't all want constant fighting. We just want a world with the option available to us. Also it creates a world of consequences, unpredictability, and one of those consequences is that you might get ambushed on the road to Britney if you're traveling alone. Another type of PvP consequence is if you murder somebody you might get a bounty put on you and other people will come after you for your head. Other than that the world will be the same, buying, selling, adventuring, questing, and whatever else one might do in non-pvp land.

The good thing about SotA is that PvP is optional. So there shouldn't be any problem on either side of the coin. This should please both sides. Selective Multi-Player will allow for both sides of the coin to play the way they like. Having one centralized server means there will be enough players in both modes so we don't have to worry about trying to recruit PvPers. Just play as you like to play.

Ara, Lord Baldrith and Skalex like this.
  3. Skalex

Skalex Avatar

I use the term 'trammel crowd' for lack of a better term. I feel it's appropriate. Feel free to give me the appropriate title. I mean no disrespect.

As for the PvP 'Feluca' camp being misunderstood and having a one track mind. That's a matter of perspective. I see the blind sided one track mind coming from both sides and both camps are guilty of mud-slinging. Tho, I would say that one camp has always been more sensitive.

I wish people would aim for middle ground and I see this thread as your attempt at reaching this middle ground.

But I guess my main point is. Some players want to be evil. Kill for the sake of it, reap terror in the land, pillage and loot.
    So any proposed system should include that evil player. Can't have heroes without anti-heroes. (Whether you feel his love of murder and senseless looting is RPing or not..)

4. Skalex

Skalex Avatar

I agree with you, I just hope that the PvP friendly world will be dynamic (That middle ground achieved) and not just be KOS...

A middle ground can be reached. I hope SOTA attempts this.

5. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Well it is attempting this. We have no words for certain what PvP will be like, but PvP is totally going to be optional. If you flag for PvP it should be an open world type PvP experience not just zone based like we've seen in other games.

6. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

I happen to be both RP and PvP player and have experienced both extensively, both in open and selective modes (guild wars). Its not a matter of feeling safe. If you noticed the reason why I suggested the Virtues to be applying in PvP (because thats the actual subject of the thread, not the "Trammel crowd is scared of PvPs") as well, is to entice people who might have been have heard of or even been affected by the "doom and gloom" of PvP (which is basically stories about how PvP ruined the experiences of others), by making PvP part of who they are. Essentially making it part of the story/game in a more integrating manner.

7. Skalex

Skalex Avatar

I get it dude. I am not calling you as an individual the trammel crowd.

I KNOW what the title of the thread is thanks. But to find and discuss a system that will draw more people in. (Which is the trammel crowd that needs to be drawn in, since the PvP crowd is already drawn in) we must be able to discuss both camps and their concerns.

Again, Evil players need to be included. Their love of loot should be included. senseless killing should be included.
    Tie it however you want with virtues or anti-virtues.

Trammelites or those have never experienced the "doom & Gloom" or even the "Joys and thrills" of PvP will still hate dieing, being looted etc. regardless of how it is tied in to virtues.

I support your mission tho, I have tried to be positive. I have tried to give you some feedback.

I am just saying we must consider BOTH sides. Evil included.

8. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

I have mentioned Antivirtues somewhere on the thread. I know I speak of Virtues and omit mentioning the Anti-Virtues much, and I apologize for this. So yea "evil" players, the bad guys, are good to have in any game and while Virtues apply to players to follow them, Anti-Virtues apply to players who choose to follow the opposite path.

9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

This has been mentioned before. I hope this eases your tensions about drawing in new PvP recruits. Most games have multiple servers hosting only a fraction of the player base. SotA is planning on having a single primary server to host everybody. That means if only 10% of the player base is PvP then the full group of PvPers will all be on the same server anyway. So if only 300,000 players are in the game 30,000 of them will all be flagged for PvP which would be like a full server in another game.

So if we get 5,000,000 players in year one we would have 500,000 PvPers to meet up with in selective multi-player, and if it's only a sad 5% who PvP then 250,000 will be PvPers. We won't have to worry about not having enough PvPers, and there will always be a few curious players that join PvP over time anyway.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  10. Owain

Owain Avatar

I think it is premature at this point to even talk about incentives, since we don't know if any are required. Test the PvP, see how many participate voluntarily. If there is a healthy PvP population, then potential economy unbalancing 'incentives' won't have to be considered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.