Voice in Game...

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Lord Baldrith, Jan 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I would like to see the Fallout approach of voice acting for key NPCs and scenes, but not all over the place. It would be cost prohibitive.

Also, I wouldn't mind seeing some crowdsourcing of this. Allow community members to try and contribute.

2. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

Finally got a chance to have a listen to your story. Great story and even better voice, looking forward to more! :)

majoria70 and Lord Baldrith like this.
  3. Alazar

Alazar Avatar

Totally necessary in this century.

Better communication, better organization, better experience.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  4. gtesser

gtesser Avatar

For me, music in an RPG is more important than voice. If the game has excellent music, and a well-written story, I really don't mind reading text. I expect to hear Lord British himself though, and cinematics should be voiced as well.

ngavarta and Myth2 like this.
  5. Kal

Kal Avatar

i don't care for voice in a game at all and i don't much care for quests in general.

the reason i want to play this game is because it's going to be a virtual world sandbox with a player economy where the main interaction is going to be between real people, not some voiced npc.

and of course that it's done by the guy who created the first such game which was ultima online. and the housing of course as the basis for this world and economy.

6. DarkSharrt

DarkSharrt Guest

I'm a fan of ambient vocals, such as people selling things on the street or dockworkers singing or cussing at each other. Planescape Torment did this well.

7. DimwitTheWise

DimwitTheWise Avatar

One idea I think would be interesting is the incorporation of a "background voice" gently permeating your home. So when someone is strolling past, they could just occasionally hear you as they make their way in front of/behind your home. Very similar to the voices in the background as you walk a city or a tavern, but this would be recorded by yourself. Gives a more personal, light, backgroundy ambiance from your home.

Lots of logistics to make it work, but as I was reading this thread I kept going back to that idea. I've also done acting/singing/etc, so would be fun to have some fun with it. Maybe allow sound pack addons or download your friends soundpacks or something.

8. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

We actually have a foley artist who is a backer who would be able to record ambient noise for things like in your home or in a tavern. All it would take to make it work right is audio triggers which unity does quite well. :)
    @melchiormeijer

3devious and Sir Stile Teckel like this.
  9. melchiormeijer

melchiormeijer Avatar

hello peeps! , thanks Mystic :)

Mystic and 3devious like this.
  10. enderandrew

Hopefully we will see more opportunity to submit crowd sourced assets beyond models/textures.

11. melchiormeijer

melchiormeijer Avatar

we're working on it :)

Lord Baldrith and Mystic like this.
  12. Holt

Holt Avatar

Music, definitely. There's been talk of SFX. When I get the information I will definitely share what can be shared!

13. melchiormeijer

melchiormeijer Avatar

I think we will be working on those sound effects soon , i have a temporary list of sounds from an inside person ;) i will share this with the people that will be doing SFX aswell, ( so far ember as i know of )

My first Brainstorm SFX sound for all to hear :
    http://www.avastudios.com/music/necroSpell01.mp3

the rest of my work will be a surprize ;)

untill then: HELIMUNJAARUM! ENCHAINE SERAS! ©™®

Mystic likes this.
  14. Jamet

Jamet Avatar

The game should feature voice communication, akin to how it is done in DayZ / Arma. Push to talk, 40 meter range, gets less audible the further you stand away from the source. How else can you have casual conversations with your old friends and introduce yourself to total strangers?

DimwitTheWise, AvatarAcid and Holt like this.
  15. enderandrew

I wouldn't mind this, but I wonder how difficult this would be for them to add to the game, and how much it would add to server overhead.

16. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

I'd volunteer as I have some voice acting experience but I don't think most would be able to submit quality recordings, it would be time consuming and if it caused any other part of the game to suffer or for a release to be pushed back I'd say no thanks, we can deal with text based NPC interactions. As horrible as SWTOR gameplay/questing is during the beta I didn't skip any of the story and it did give the game a depth that wouldn't have exist w/out voice acting but that game had a 50million dollar budget so they could afford to hire professionals and professionally record it. The 150mil remaining budget of SWTOR went to LucasFilm licensing, advertising and EA executives.

Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
  17. enderandrew

Source that they only spent $50 million on development, and $150 million on licensing and executives?

18. Holt

Holt Avatar

Even if only a tiny fraction of the community has voice acting experience, or the right equipment, I feel strongly that it is as doable as music and sfx which poets circle has had some success with. If you'd like to drop me a line I can put you in touch with some of our members equally interested in this and willing to contribute and learn. Get in touch!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.