Waiving taxes until launch - hurt or help?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gideon Thrax, Sep 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lollie

lollie Avatar

Why would anyone care if the tax free deed they were wanting to sell is worth less than expected in real dollar value and people who have taxable deeds suddenly could sell for much more in real dollars?

Everyone would care.

2. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I wouldn't. The Devs better not care.

3. lollie

lollie Avatar

Great, what's good for you is clearly good for everyone else amirite?

4. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Kickstarter backer:
    [​IMG]

Marketplace side effects of persistence:
    [​IMG]

amirite?

5. lollie

lollie Avatar

What's done is done, that was the model of this game and it can't change now. Gave you a very good reason for not removing taxes and even you agreed on the same outcome.

When ep2 comes out make sure you've saved up so you can feel better about all this.

Tahru likes this.
  6. Curt

Curt Avatar

My thoughts about taxes assuming 10% owns 90% of the gold.
    Don't base taxes on average income but median and similar measures.

• Taxes for city lots - aim so top 10% can afford it
    • Taxes for town lots - aim so top 25% can afford it
    • Taxes for village lots - aim so top 50% can afford it
    • Taxes for Row lots - aim so top 75% can afford it.

Anvar, Apollyon9515 and Tahru like this.
  7. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

I have warned avatars not to claim lots until they can prove to themselves they can afford taxes. IMO a level 1 avatar has no real use for a home.

Of course,everyone sees all the houses and the "keep up with the others" kicks in. It is sometimes this illogical thinking in real life that causes people to overextend themselves and possibly lose everything. Basic principles hold true here,if you can't afford the taxes,don't claim a lot. I am not against avatars having housing,but some need to be renters, not owners. Maybe some need to get with their best friends or guildies and share a space. And many need to not do anything until they can grasp how and what to generate gold to cover taxes,gear repair and basic needs in the game.

Removing taxes until launch is a bad idea. This sounds like a Lord British bail out for home owners,which I do not think he would ever consider. SotA is a long distance race, not a sprint. I personally believe that any developer and Lord British himself would say this very thing. Although the store had pledges,and still has bundles and deeds available, in my mind I cannot believe that they expected everyone to purchase them.

This issue is like buying a car and then saying, "I can't afford insurance, gas and upkeep." So I think waiving taxes until launch will help no one,it is only going to cause folks to relax about their taxes and put off what might need to occur now, if you can't afford it and are overwhelmed, let go of the lot until you can get to the place of being able to afford it. In life many rent for a time before they buy or can afford a place of their own. How can people not see this is the very same thing?

Anvar and lollie like this.
  8. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I don't agree so much as I acknowledge your statement that resale value for deeds could be affected. Truth is, I don't care if they're affected in a good or bad way in the player market. My first concern is and will remain a desire for a fun game with a healthy player base.

Anvar and Apollyon9515 like this.
  9. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

How about this... how about turning taxes on for everyone for two weeks? My sense is that there are so few taxable lots actually placed in game that the tax gold sink doesn't even exist. Instead of turning taxes off until launch for new players - how about turning taxes on for everyone, but only for two weeks and just to see how the economy responds?

10. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

So you really think that after some paying up to $12,000.00 for a Lord of the Manor 2 pledge,that anyone would consider taxing them? You have got to be kidding me. :D

I was trying to give a fair,realistic response to the thread and the issue of taxes. What you are suggesting is not even in the realm of possibility for the dev's. :)

Apollyon9515 likes this.
  11. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I'd do it, and I have more skin in this game than your normal run of the mill LOTM. Maybe testing like this isn't in the realm of possibility - but it should be, and any lurch worthy hesitation should be noted. If economic testing of this nature is not possible because everyone would lose their minds for having to pay taxes for 14 days just to help balance the economy, that's telling in and of itself.

Your example is fair to a point, but gas prices vary as do insurance costs as well as maintenance.... taxes are also a point of debate. I don't pay taxes on new cars... perk for being a combat wounded veteran where I live. I just want the game to be fun - and considering the emptiness of things and the fact that only about half of placement eligible deeds have even been put down make me wonder.

12. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

Shoot me a quick PM when SotA gets either of these. I'd like to know when that happens.

Apollyon9515 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.