Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Wands and Staves

Discussion in 'Release 26 Feedback Forum' started by Xi_, Feb 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

not only are they useless to me as a mage but beating someone with a wand is just ridiculous lol, my fists do more damage than staves lol and there is absolutely nothing interesting about either of them.

worst iteration yet, *scraps his idea of being a wand crafter*

Suggestions:

some base ranged qualities based off the different schools of magic would make things more interesting and usefull in my opinion,

I also like the idea of having say a wand of healing ray or chaos bolt or what ever

2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

so did you craft these wands have you added gems to them?

They are tools to add properties to mages.

This has been brought up by at least 3 other people.

you need to get some crafted one and add gems, once I get them done ill be happy to make and augment a few for you to test out.

3. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Im wielding 2 basic maple ones right now that each give me +5% spell damage.

Once I find fire gems Ill have +20 Attunement.

And this is for basic mats with no rare pine resin or soot qualities.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  4. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Also, they are not meant to be bludgeon weapons. They were switched from ranged to bludgeon because (and I'm guessing) you could train ranged combat with wands on gustballs without using arrows.

Moonshadow and Lord Baldrith like this.
  5. redfish

redfish Avatar

I'm hoping they'll reduce reagent use for your school of magic, if this isn't already the case.

Well, I'm guessing its because a lot of players wanted staves to be usable as pole-arms. Once you do that, you then you have to change the function of wands in a similar way. And the only category that fits is bludgeon, even if its not a good one. Plus, the magic attack was never very good anyway, was it?

In order to have staves to work both as pole-arms and with the free magic attack, you'd either have to take away the pole-arm free attack and give it the magic attack, or you have to give some sort of switch between the attack modes. The only way I see they can do that would be an attack/defense toggle key for all combat, like I was suggesting in earlier threads.

Otherwise, they have to choose one or the other.

But I like the fact that staves/wands make you better with your magic school of choice and in fact its what I've been advocating ;)

6. Shortina

Shortina Avatar

I had noticed that you can also put one of those +10 attunements on a bow, and assuming any one hander. I think we need a bit more damage on our magic focus/weapons to make up for what others can do with theirs. Or have the benefit of these focus increased significantly. I will never agree that a wand should be anything but some form of ranged attack. Give these two magic weapons their own tree of skills is the best alternative.

Fister Magee likes this.
  7. redfish

redfish Avatar

They could also just get rid of the free attack for the wand altogether if the silliness factor of using the wand as a bludgeon bothers people.

8. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I haven't got around to gathering what I need to make my own staff either.. but I do hope it is more useful than holding on to a bludgeon weapon. Will the staff and the gem offer better magical enhancement than the axe and a gem? It better.. or I'll always be a mage with an axe. I tried a lesser staff from one of the PVE mobs, and based on that very low level weapon, I see no useful feature to equipping a staff yet.. I was hoping something would be better than holding this rusty axe I found laying behind the skill trainer...

Anyway, I don't mean to speculate too much, gonna go gather and create! :)

Moonshadow likes this.
  9. Shortina

Shortina Avatar

The only benefit I have seen to the staff or wand over a regular weapon with enhancement is the reduction in reagent consumed use and a spell damage increase. You will also see some focus increase; that you can get from armor as well. Damage is also increased on weapons for weapon damage. So I think benefits are pretty much a wash here. The big loss is in damage that can be inflicted with weapons after focus has worn off in gang up situations.

Fister Magee likes this.
  10. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I was really excited to see this improvement on staves. I have used a pole-arm for the last 10 or so releases as a mage and using a staff is now a viable option for a pure mage. The staff itself is not all that great when you first craft it. You need to imbue it with a gem that fits the school of magic that you are using most. I am a water/air mage this release, so I decided to imbue with water...Plus that gem is easy to mine in Owl's Nest. It gave me a 10% attunement bonus in the water school. That alone is more valuable than the polearm I was using before.

I hope they do add more features to the staves and wands tho. I still would love to see different staves than that ugly skull-one...like gnarled staves or quarterstaves which would be more effective at bonking things on the head and stunning or knocking them back in edition to the great magical imbues that wizards have with their staves.

11. redfish

redfish Avatar

Gnarled staves ftw. But you'd have to get them from ancient oaks in old groves.

12. Shortina

Shortina Avatar

The only problem with that augment is that I saw the same one on a bow.. it was a bow of sorcery with the aug. So if you can imbue regular damage weapons with the same augs, then that negates the benefits of the wands and staves with no damage.

We do very much need some other skins for the staves.

Lord Baldrith and Moonshadow like this.
  13. redfish

redfish Avatar

Gnarled wants also ;)

14. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Lord Baldrith,

Or, actually, I don't know how its done now, since I haven't played around with staves, but different types of trees could be tied to different types of magic. So you could have gnarled oak, gnarled elm, gnarled birch, or whatever, and then have ancient groves of each. ;D Or that could just make things too complicated. :D

15. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Agreed completely...Now since there are only 2 types of wood, variety is not an option. I truly hope there are plans to add more types of material to harvest for our crafting excitement :)

Ice Queen, Sara Dreygon and 4EverLost like this.
  16. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Wands don't increase your fizzle. That's pretty huge.

Fister Magee likes this.
  17. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

What do you mean two types of wood, there are 4 after you modify them look at my table. and with the two base types that is 6 different woods and 6 different types of straps which means 36 different wands or staffs you can make and now you can add Gems, 8 different ones you do the math from there, you can use two wands I gem each or a staff with 2 gems in it.

18. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Reminder, this was the first release with the whole new crafting system. We'll iterate on it. My belief is it isn't as bad as you think. We'll definitely evaluate it though.

19. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Wands and Staff Properties are up go take a look :)

20. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

I kind of feel like is rather still have at least some of the wands be ranged magic weapons but probably need reagents or charges to work.

Moonshadow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.