War Preparation - Part 4 - Serenite

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Boris Mondragon, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

"Torch the sails of the closest ship and prepare to fire cannons on the furthest". The order was barked out by Boris who knew from Naval History that the last ship in a convoy would hold the precious cargo while the forward ship/s would protect it.
    The arrows were lit on the brazier and let loose on the unsuspecting closest Obsidian warship. Screams could be heard aboard that ship as men scurried to try to douse the fire. Many jumped overboard trying to save themselves. As expected, the furthest ship was turning back toward the "Dragon" and its sister ship partially in flames. "Dwalin, now is the time to play with the cannons, sink it and do it fast. We must have time to board the burning ship in front of us and remove their cargo". Those cannons that were found a while back in that hidden compartment were true to their aim and Dwalin's guidance. Three cannons were fired and three explosions on the Obsidian lead ship led to its quick disintegration.
    "Razulah get the boarding party ready. Use the archers first to dispose of any enemies on their deck". Arrows were loosened and scream were heard then silence. The "Dragon" pulled up next to the remaining Obsidian warship and grappling hooks were hoisted. Soon Boris and his followers were aboard that ship and took 4 remaining prisoners including the ship's Captain. Boris asked several questions yet the ship's Captain would nay answer them nor give his name. "Razulah, he will not speak therefore his tongue is useless, cut it out and throw it overboard". The Obsidian Captain's eyes opened wide and he became much more cooperative.
    "We are cargo ships heading to Ardoris first then to Necropolis. We are not warships nor intended to harm ye or thy crew. Let us go and we will never cross paths". Boris looked at the trembling captain and laughed "I will let you and your crew or what is left of it leave yet I want you to go to Necropolis and let the dark one know I will see him in person soon to end his plans". The Obsidian captain and his crew put on the rowboat and the ship was checked quickly with its precious cargo transferred to the "Dragon". This was the largest treasure Boris had ever seized including piles of gold, precious jewels and 4 more of these mysterious silver cannons.

The "Dragon" was on its way to Serenite when the explosion shook them all and the sky lit up with the image of a hooded man. "Mondragon, I await you in Necropolis. Do not worry, your father is safe for now. I will kill you both at the same time and feed from your blood". Boris looked up remembering the word blood as his ship slowly made it toward Serenite badly damaged and with many injured crewmembers. A crowd of bystanders saw the ship crash against the dock.

2. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

As the boat neared the docks the lighthouse keeper began to ring the bell. The patrolling guards heard the bell and quickly ran towards the castle to alert the captain of the guards. The guard approached the captain with a deep bow and his right arm over his chest. A little out of breath he mutters “Lord Marshall Belgator, there is a ship arriving at the docks!” The captain who is dressed in silver plate with a red and gold cloak quickly made it to his spy glass at the castle’s observatory facing the shoreline.

The Duke approached the observatory with a slight grin as he looked through his spyglass. "I don’t see the Obsidian ships the captain warned us about? Perhaps Mondragon and his crew took care of the threat. This Captain Mondragon truly has impressed me. Take no chances prepare to greet them with troops and healers. Keep in mind he is a guest and is to be treated with the upmost respect."

William watched the guards dispatched to the shoreline along with healers. The guards who train in daily marches around town all step in unison with their hands on their sword hilts and shields in hand as they progress slowly towards the shore.

"Please bring me my armor", William asked his servant. Captain, let’s hope for the best and prepare for the worst. The captain sounded a trumpet and began to holler battle cries. "Archers and Mages to the ramparts and prepare for battle!!Foot soldiers block the castle gates until you get an all clear !!"

As the ship neared the shore it was obvious that a battle had ensued. The sails of the ship looked tattered and the ship was moving slow. William also took notice of the dragon symbol on the boats sails.
    He then began to put his armor on which was made of Obsidian. The armor which is quite elegant in design seems more ornamental than battle ready. The Dukes crest is also on the chest piece which has an ankh and scales diagonally to each other and a skull and arrows diagonally which stands for “Order through bloodshed” in red and gold colors. The armor was a gift from the town’s residents and crafters. It is his pride and joy, and wears it as often as the occasion prompts for it.

As the ship approaches the captain of the guard uses the spyglass to eye the lighthouse caller and notices that the bell has not rung again and utters to William. "Sire, I believe the coast is clear."William responds "Very well lets head down to greet our guest. His ship obviously needs repairs, please alert the crafters guild that we will need assistance."

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  3. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

The ship made a loud screeching noise as it scraped the side of the dock finally stopping at the beach. Boris gave orders to Razulah and Dwalin to help bring down the injured seamen and the cargo. He hoisted the rope ladder over the side and was the first to step off the ship to face the welcoming committee. He stepped forward to within a foot of the tall elegantly dressed man and put out his hand "You must be Duke William Serenite, I received your message. I am Captain Boris Mondragon, sea merchant by trade, pirate by fate". Boris smiled at the man knowing if they so wanted his entire crew could be butchered here on this beach yet something told him this was a man of honor.

The two men exchanged handshakes. the healers tended the wounded seamen and the cargo had been unloaded. Boris handed Duke Serenite a copy of the journal retrieved from the ship's secret compartment and had one of the silver cannons taken from the last ship also brought down for inspection. "Duke Serenite, I do not know if you saw the spectral vision in the sky yet the danger is imminent and the magic they used to damage my ship invisible to the human eye." He saw the look of concern in Duke Serenite's eyes. "I thank ye for helping us in this time of need. I will offer my ship and my men to help defend your coastline yet I must warn others once the "Dragon" is seaworthy again. Time is of the essence".

4. Duke William of Serenite

Captain Mondragon, it is a pleasure to finally meet you. Welcome to Serenite. I did notice a dark flash in the sky as you were rolling in.

Excuse me *William quickly reads the message Mondragon gave him as he finishes the letter, Williams eyes widen as he glances over to his captain*

Prepare Serenite Army for an invasion, sound the alarm we will need the residents to evacuate the port and head to Serenite hill. I want 2 squadrons of our quickest men on the shore to welcome the attack and the rest of our army to hold the castle down. Send out a small scout ship so we have eyes on the water. Prepare the moat with the oil barrels. Today we fight a force that wields a very deadly magic, do not underestimate them.

Belgator looked confident, he has trained his men for this very thing every day for years. William's concern is Obsidian magic, as he knows very well how powerful it is.

We have no time to waste, lets move to the castle Captain Mondragon.

As the men head to the castle you can hear Belgator sound the alarm by blowing his trumpet and begins to holler commands at his lieutenants.

Serenite is a port city with a charm that is only matched by Brittany itself. At the back of Serenite is the Duke's castle nestled atop a hill with ramparts and only one road up. It has served as a last line of defense for some time.

Williams hope is that if the Obsidians outnumber them the defensive tactics that his men have trained will suffice to ward off the invasion.

As William passes by the statue of the Titan of Love, he glances up at her and then kneels in front of the statue. "Guide your people to a victory my lady, love conquers all."

Once William and the captains men arrive at the castle gates they are greeted by the Kings Guard. This troop stood out and towers over the rest. His armor is golden and his eyes and skin are Obsidian with no white in them.

Since his dark transformation by the hands of Serenite sorcerers, he has not spoken once.

This is my personal guard and he is wary of new guests, forgive me. William looks at the towering soldier, these are my guests and their life is in your hands.

William looks at Mondragon, the Obsidians are not the only ones who practice long forgotten magic my friend. Here in Serenite because we have lived next to the Obsidian Shardfall for generations, our sorcerers have become quite adept at magic.

We have spent some time in Desolis ruins and have been able to find a few scrolls of spells that our Sorcerers have been trying to translate.

I could not help to notice the dragon on your sails, you do know this is the land of dragons? Lets just pray they don't come pay a visit at the same time the invasion happens.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  5. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

The King's Guard was an impressive sight to behold. The was strong magic in the air around him and the Duke's Castle yet the vibes were positive. Both men sat down to dinner and a magnificent feast was served, it was indeed a feast for a king. Boris was used to sea rations on his ship and he took his time savoring it. After dinner Boris brought out his list of places to visit and gave it to Duke Serenite to inspect. "Duke William, I have several more places to visit that must see the journal pages and their towns depend on it yet I need your help with a map that will take me there in the least amount of time possible".

"Numinous Gleann, Momento Mori, Rat's Nest and White Hart on Abundis have all sent me messages on the Black Seagulls. I must find a quick way to find these towns and notify them of the impending danger. I am a stranger in a strange land and only know a few ports in my brief travels. Will you help me".

Duke William nodded, passing that list to one of his men stating a map would be ready by sunrise. Both men retired for the night and Boris was shown his guest room which had comforts he had not seen before in this realm. He looked out the bedroom window and saw the stars and the sea. He knew he would settle in this oasis by the sea one day if he could survive Necropolis.

The nightmare was vivid, the voice familiar. It was the dark one from Necropolis whose image he had seen in the sea battle near Serenite. "Mondragon, your efforts and those of William Serenite and others will be of no use, my power is unstoppable and their magic will not save you nor them. My cauldron hungers for your dragon blood and will be even more powerful when I sacrifice you to quench his thirst. Go ahead and warn them all of what is coming. It will make the game more interesting yet the result will be the same. My victory and their enslavement will be the final outcome".

Boris screamed with agony as he felt the partial transformation begin. His eyes glowed red with blood trickling out from his eye sockets, his mouth turned into a dragon's snout. The pain of the transformation was unbearable. He awoke as the door opened and men scurried into the guest room.

6. Duke William of Serenite

Two guards outside Mondragon's room bursted the door open when they heard the commotion. As they enter the room the captain Is writhing on the floor in agony as his entire body is literally bubbling as as a scaly hide begins to cover his body.

Across the castle on the same floor is Williams room, the noises of the screaming woke him up. As he stepped outside next to him was his kings guard, motion less with out a word standing there . Williams life has been saved countless times in the past by the dark knight , however he still totally creeps out every bone in his body.

William enters the captains room in total awe, fear and amazement at what is unfolding before his eyes.

As William moves closer the guards move to restrain the dragon.

William then motions everyone out of the room in haste.

"Out!"

He turns his attention to the captain.

"Captain what is happening?"

7. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Boris' mind and thoughts are a maelstrom of pain and emotion. He feels the beast inside him surging to completely take over his body yet for one second he manages to emit the sound "Razulah". His mind spins and his body convulses yet he now feels he can control this transformation. Slowly he feels his senses come back and his eyes open. He can see clearly now and sees Duke William looking at him. "Please get Razulah, only he can tell me what happened and why.

On the beach another commotion is ongoing as the blue dragon Marak perched himself on the deck of the "Dragon". He moves forward towards Razulah and Dwalin and rears back on his hind legs dropping a blue two-handed sword and a white dagger at their feet. The Duke's archers cock their arrows yet Dwalin motions with his arms not to fire upon the large blue dragon. "Do not fire thy weapons, he means no harm to us".

8. Duke William of Serenite

William shakes his head and blinks a few times. Boy, I am going to need a drink soon.

Guards, *William stands up* Get Belgator to bring Razulah upstairs. One of Morgans friends. I am going to need you to run... *He motions his hands in haste*

The dark knight stands outside the doorway facing away. He knows William hates his stare. It's like looking at a dead horse's eyes he says.

Well you look better, the only thing I can tell you is the energies from the Shardfall do strange things.

Just look around once you get closer to the desert, nature is warped everywhere you look.

William starts to wonder in his mind what the connection is with Mondragon and the Obsidians.... He goes off into a blank stare and ponders....

A few moments later Razlulah arrives and steps in the room. "Captain, I am here. "

9. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Razulah heard Duke William mention the words "Just look around once you get closer to the desert, nature is warped everywhere you look". He bowed to the Duke quickly and rushed over to Boris who kept going in and out of this trance and transformation. "Duke Serenite, Please have your guard *Points to the mysterious large man* carry him to the desert with us. We must perform a ritual there then another at the dock".

They arrived at the first overland Obsidian Shard where Razulah had them stop. "Hold him up against the shard, he must not fall while I cleanse him" Duke William, and Belgator held Boris by one arm while the mysterious knight held the other as he began to convulse again upon his body touching the shard. Razulah had his assistant Kazar open his bag. He took out a bottle of some liquid that looked like rum and a small bottle of gunpowder. He took a deep swig of this rum-like substance and sprayed it with his mouth all over Boris who again calmed down briefly. "Kazar, the seawater now". Another bottle came out of the pack it was doused over Boris who now was drenched from head to toe with both substances. He noticed Boris had lost consciousness again as was standing upright only due to the men holding him up. Razulah then made a thick line of gunpowder starting from in front of Boris and stopping at the shard. He took out flint and lit the gunpowder which flashed brilliantly. The plume of smoke could be seen all the way to the dock.

Boris regained consciousness and tried to break free from being held "What is this". Razulah quieted him down "Tis allright Captain, ye were possessed by a minion sent by the Dark One. He wanted to be able to track you easier but we have sent him back to his master". Razulah then looked at the Duke "Sir, we must do the gunpowder ceremony at your castle door to eliminate any trace of that minion and then at the dock". The group of men did so accordingly and then after the cleansing of the dock Razulah spoke one more. "I must consult my spirits and all present can watch if ye wishes"

A large straw mat was set down in which Razulah and Boris sat facing each other while the others stood by watching intently. They had never seen this kind of magic except for one. The large mysterious knight sat close by.

The cowry shells came out of the pouch and after a few minutes of incantations by Razulah were given to Boris. "Drop them once, let me read them then pick them up and drop them again on the straw mat". Boris did as asked and Razulah studied the number of shells that came up in both drops.. A smile formed on his lips as he spoke "The shells speak of the unbroken balance of power". He looked at Boris first "You must go to Necropolis not only to rescue your father but also to neutralize the advantage the Dark One has. You cannot kill him for evil cannot be completely destroyed, it can only be neutralized for a short time in order for these and other men to defend their towns. Then and only then can the balance be restored yet many will fall and many will turn their heads from this danger: The spirits also speak of the man's whose blood is not completely human which is you Boris. They say you will likely not survive Necropolis after you try to neutralize his power". "We must depart quickly Boris as there are others to warn".

Razulah looks at the Duke. "Sir the spirits talk about the man with the heart of a lion. Ye must reach out to many who may not like you nor your way of life even if you feel those are now enemies. A united front is the only way to defeat the horde of minions the dark one will send soon". They also speak of that strange knight sitting next to us. He must guard the entrance to Necropolis when Boris and I arrive. He is the only one immune to the dark magic and can bring us out if necessary. You see his face. He was marked by the dark one's magic. He will never betray ye yet through his dark eyes you can be tracked".

At that moment Dwalin arrived with the two handed sword and dagger. "Marak brought these and dropped them at my feet". Razulah stood and took both weapons, he looked at the intricate runes on the blades. "Marak and the other dragons are also in peril. He knows these weapons have strange magic and must be used. Captain, your own intuition must tell you when and how to use them in Necropolis". Boris took both weapon and walked to the shore. He waded in until he was waist deep and yelled loudly for all to hear "I am Boris Mondragon, son of the Moon Dragon. Give me and the others I find along the way the strength and conviction to stop this abomination that threatens our existence. I do not care if I live nor die at the end of this quest. This is why I was born and why I am here"

The blue dragon took flight heading South from Serenite and stopped suddenly. He would guide them on their quest. The rest of the crew climbed upon the ship which had been repaired and Boris walked up to Duke William. "Duke William, fate has brought us together though briefly and under unpleasant circumstances. The Gods, The Spirits and the lives of all depend on us few to gather those with courage". Boris then walked up to the large knight and put his hand on the knight's chest. "I expect you at the entrance to Necropolis and will send word. Boris and the Duke clasped hands briefly. "Duke William , save that docking space for the "Dragon". I will return one day.

"Josephus, take us South. We must follow Marak". He looked up to the crows's nest 'Jack" only keep an eye out for where Marak leads".

Acred, Audacity and Jonah Hayes like this.
  10. Duke William of Serenite

William looks at the dark knight, "we have work to do". We must help Mondragon, and alert the other towns. I will accompany you to the Necropolis myself.

There is an uneasy feeling in the Duke's gut, like something bad can happen at any moment. His kingdom will have to remain on guard until this evil has been dealt with.

William has a gift for Mondragon, he hands him an Obsidian cloak. The cloak is as black as night, and has a very strong magical aura. We found this in the Temple of Syrinx, Starmans land now. This will help shield you from Obsidian magic, it was crafted by the Obsidian's long ago.

May the Titan of Love watch over you and your crew.

Always remember that "Love conquers all my friend."

William watches the dragon leave his docks and sail away. In the back of his mind he is still wondering who and what this dragon man is. In any case he feels like its not the last time he will see Mondragon.

As he gets back to his castle William begins to write up warnings for other towns and sends them off with his courier. On each letter is the Dukes seal in wax. Even though he may not be at the best of terms with some towns, he knows this is a time where we have to pull together as one to fight off the impending doom.

He mentions to Captain Belgator, keep Serenite on alert until we hear from Mondragon again.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.