War Stories: Lord British created an ecology for Ultima Online...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Daxxe Diggler, Dec 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Spartus, smack, Hunter Rose and 2 others like this.
  2. KhumashGor

KhumashGor Avatar

That was fun, thanks for sharing.

3. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

What do you mean noone saw it... of course I saw it, spent 10 years studying the details after Origin sold off to EA to be able to script it into emulators.

What most people didn't see is the hidden Xorinite AI and all the effort put on the dynamic BNN archived storyline.

4. fonsvitae

fonsvitae Avatar

That idea originated and was brought to life via Raph Koster; you can hear more in this Spam Spam Humbug podcast interview.

Everytime LB says "we" in the Ars Technica interview, he means Koster.

5. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

Elwyn and Humbert_Humbert like this.
  6. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

*some* players... and it wasn't those who simply were bored and killing everything in sight.

EA broke the game... they scrapped everything once Origin sold off, the AIs the ecology, the economy...

So yes I was referring to the RMT rings *those players*, who at first in UO were selling almost exclusively duped and hacked items to be then were left free to infect most MMOs, EA actually changed their EULA to protect those hacker's privacy inside the game, even from gamemasters... does that give you some perspective on WHO really bought UO ?

With some practice, you will eventually get your facts straight :p

7. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

Are you on the same plane of existence as most people?

8. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

You suddenly care ? I'm touched.

I work full time for 20 years, can basically afford a respectable living, but I own no property or anything of value.

I cut my own wood to heat and all kind of neat things I do to recycle repair and reuse all manners of materials and machines. I basically have my SOTA in real life :p

So the proper question is, are you right NOW on the same plane of existence... well.

I am in many, and I am infinite.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  9. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

You might not agree with my rendition of some facts, but we agree on the premise, King Gariott's vision has been deliberately sabotaged. You are free to argue or not...

Nobody really cares however, when you ask those kind of questions don't be bothered when people volunteer answers.

It's the past... something else is bothering you.

Proteus Tempest likes this.
  10. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

That is somewhat true but not just him... theres a few others missing from the picture. @Chaox We love legends and stories :)

Anyone remember Nystul ?

Right... pretty much everyone forgets... its human. Props to King Gariott for using proper english and tone.

11. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

Thanks for op I remember the ecosystem and its disappearance, but never knew why.

12. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

EA purchased Origin Systems on September 10th, 1992.
    UO Launched on September 24th, 1997.

This whole ongoing idea that EA stepped in and ruined UO after they bought Origin is one of the most persistent pieces of hogwash that Ever existed and I don't understand how it keeps going. There was Never a time with UO existed prior to EA... Dark Starr has often related the tales of pitching UO to EA...

13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I think that many people want someone to blame for UO Renaissance but the reality was that people found the ability of others to just take their stuff was simply not fun. The decision to split it into Trammel and Felucca was ultimately done in order to save the game.

DJ Alleine Dragonfyre and Elwyn like this.
  14. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

King Garriott.... Interesting.

I really view SOTA as RG getting his game back in so many ways. Many things I see in game are things being remade to continue what he had started and accomplished in the past. There are (or use to be) so many references to EA (not good ones) in Novia. I had to chuckle when I came across them.

I get the impression that some kind of drama occurred.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  15. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

Must kill all the things! :mad:

[​IMG]

16. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

You already tried that cat out of hat technique with me, but its a bag... and a rabbit.

Not sure how the feral pig fits in :p

That is why you call this moment in time where obviously EA fired the whole GM and seer team and Origin disbanded, or rather my interpretation of it a "piece"... you come in very loud.

They forced King Gariott out of his own realm and forced him to renounce to even using his own character for 10 years, and gave him peanuts, beans in exchange for a living world.

Call it what you will... it wasn't because a few GMs were caught red handed that the wheel stopped turning, face it, get real !

What stopped the wheel was everyone stopping and exclaiming out loud "hey people make a living selling virtual items, some of which are obvious dupes and hacks". But then flip flop few levers pulled and the wheel started back as if nothing happened ? Do you believe in magic ? Did the dupes and hacks disappear by the divine will ? Was anyone but Gabrielle (GM Datura) ever accused, let alone convicted ?

Theft of kin in broad daylight, in a starving world that it bound to cause very serious collateral damage... is it a good example to give to the future generation ?

You don't even dispute the facts... so why do you insist on attacking my position when you are certain to drag even more uncomfortable truth out of me ?

If you simply shrugged me off... but no, you have to wake the dragon. I'm not scouring the forums yelling on all four winds that I know the truth and there was a conspiracy... but if you want to attack the facts, at least have the decency to remember the last 3 times we had this conversation.

I see small corporate conspiracies everywhere, and we know they exist, we know some lobbying is wrong there is even a board of ethics for that. That is my nature to defend what I consider sacred, to me King Gariott is still the great monarch he always was and something unfair happened, people come and try to painting it as something ultra simple, I am the living proof it was not, and I speak what I mean.

King Gariott wouldn't defend himself on that area because he is humble, he follows what he preaches, that is admirable, you should take note.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  17. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

You are the last person I expected to rely on stats... "the people?" you mean all the noobs lol...

I'm kidding, did not mean it in a demeaning way, but anyone who was new to UO would have reacted badly to the way sandbox was 100% freedom and liberty. I know I did completely go nuts when I got first PKed...

if you split a good game in two, say the good people and the perceived "bad" cause we all agree not every PvPer is bad, right ?

Right ? Anyone ?

What the...

Ok well say you split a good LARP game in two,

Do I even need to explain it ? You haven't saved the game, you just broke it.

"oh but there was a slight peak of more players"

yea sure, ea started marketing the expansions, biiig deal.

They broke the game, there was even an anti-pk protest !!!

Some people had lost their favorite sport... defending good people miners and crafters and adventurers, from the bad guys.

3 quarter people lost their fun, some noobs enjoyed the games, some noobs became non-noobs.

Big deal... really...

18. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

+1000 Absolutely correct. And they told the whole story again at the UO 20th Anniversary. I was there. It was recorded and available for viewing.

19. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I'm not even accusing EA as a whole (how could I), its really easy to paint me as the vociferatorn+u, but the truth is it was some very specific, highly intelligent and machiavellic people who pulled the strings.

I should know, I'm a freakin whistle-blower, I was offered a position, I defected and told the truth and nobody cares. I must be the only whistle-blower in history who is hated by both sides and never heeded once.

I was an apprentice seer on Atlantic when Origin run the ship (for EA sure) and then I was a companion and consulting powerhouse for EA, although nobody liked to admit I was who I was...

Thats not important... its not like it makes a difference now...

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  20. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

btw absolutely correct is +∞ :p

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.