Warding and Attunment Question ...

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by addrox, Jun 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. addrox

addrox Avatar

Ok this is complete bullshit then ... the only way my attunement should be negative is due to actions done by players or monsters who are attacking me.

Your telling me ATOS/LB/DEVs you gave us melee love? So i can ward up, magic Defense up and ... ILL GET HIT HARDER? Someone who focuses on MELEE and has little to no magery will go DEEP into the negative attunement by using wards or magic resistance etc.

SO WAIT ... i need to LEVEL up my magic skills really FKN high so I can go pure melee by warding and magic resistance and not have my attunement go into the negative?

uuugh ... what?

Has anyone brought this to ATOS' attention that melee love is really melee Additional **** fest?

2. addrox

addrox Avatar

wheres the fkn hidden camera i think im in a joke ...

3. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

ALl I know is sara has built up his wardings, and he now takes less damage from my magics. So, warding does work and will reduce the damage you take.

Jaesun and addrox like this.
  4. addrox

addrox Avatar

Agreed. Not saying warding etc won't work it just sounds like you need to already have high magics to be able to successfully and nicely take advantage of warding and resist. Magic attunement makes warding pointless by the looks of it ... so "play a mage and get skills high"... to ... one day ... stop being a mage ... by then the meta changes again.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  5. addrox

addrox Avatar

Sorry multiple posts keep thinking of new things to rage on ... If the intention was to spread some melee love ... you need to play mage first for years master all the schools then drop them with wards and tactics magic resist to finally be a melee ... how is that melee love?

What were SOTA Devs thinking? Anyone knows a dev and can pull him into this to answer up? I know I am a nobody but this makes NO sense.

6. addrox

addrox Avatar

Better yet ... instead of dropping attunement ... you cant use those skills period. So Fire Warding locks down ALL skills in Fire Tree ... no wet noodles even... just plain locked down.

7. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

No, you can get higher resistances from leveling warding then you can from leveling the skills for attunement. You can get even more if you do both though.

8. addrox

addrox Avatar

Exactly more from doing both ... and if you have LOW to NO magics leveling warding is pointless ... so what was the thought behind this to make melees go magery so they can drop it later?

9. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

That presumes warding was always in the plan. It came about because the attunement idea was poorly thought out, and nuking the whole system would have been worse.

10. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

No, leveling just wardings is still going to give you resistances. Your attunnement from leveling skills has nothing to do with the warding skills.

11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Not true.

12. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I think it should take from whatever is giving you the higher resistances. If you have you attunement at 100 to get 50 res, and you warding is at 110 to give you 55 res, it should just give you the 55 res, not 105 res.

Vodalian and Barugon like this.
  13. addrox

addrox Avatar

Can i get some math behind this? So if I have like:

Scenario 1: 75 Attunement in magic school Warding to 125 vs that school

vs

Scenario 2: 75 Attunement in magic school Warding to 125 vs that school and Magic Resist to 125

vs

Scenario 3: 150 Attunement in magic school ... thats it.

Ok .. because I am a newb .... a TOTAL newb ... If you were me and wanted to be a pure melee ... what would be the best way to go about doing this?

14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I had 80 fire attunement. I got fire warding to 80 and now I have 0 attunement and 100 fire resistance (20 resistance is from the Fire Proof skill).

15. addrox

addrox Avatar

ok so then you stop increasing the ward if thats where you want to be BUT ... if you want to get your warding higher you go into the negative with attunement or raise the skill before you start warding ... P - A - I - N ...

16. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Who cares if your attunement goes into the negative if you not going to be using the magic from the tree if all your after is the resistances. If you are going to be using the magic, then I would not do warding.

Barugon likes this.
  17. addrox

addrox Avatar

Good point BUT for min max most bang for buck ... i would assume you would want to start with a high attunement then school ward + magic ward and get magics attunments to ... ZERO

18. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Is it most bang for your buck though? Those warding skills are 20x, so that 24 mil to gm them, then depending on the magic tree your looking to 12-32 mil to gm the top 10 skills of those and your attunement is going to be crap so dont even bother using magic, thats the trade off. Then you also need to get exp into your attack skills. There is nothing cheap about that type of a build, its going to be a killer exp consumer. And it really does not matter what order you would do the skills in other then having more cards of the skills to use to level up the warding skill.

Fister Magee and Barugon like this.
  19. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Warding will not make you get hit harder if you have 0 magic skills prior to raisin it. Here is the (very summarized) combat math for magic damage where attunement and resistances come in :

Casters attunement - (Targets Attunement / 2) - Targets resistance.

Now to use your examples you posted above, and using a Casters attunement of 200 (because most mages who focus mainly on 1 school will have 200+), here are the results

75 attunement + 75 Warding (this will give -75 attunement, so real values are now 0 attunement and 75 resistance) :

200 - (0/2) - 75 = 125.

This means the casters effective attunement vs you is 125

75 attunement and 125 warding (so -50 effective attunement)

200 - (-50/2) - 125 =
    200 - (-25) - 125 =
    200 + 25 - 125 = 100

So in this case, even though my attunement is negative, I'm still reducing more of the casters attunement. And now for the final example :

150 attunement and 0 warding

200 - (150 / 2) - 0 = 125

So basically this is AS effective as having 75 attunement and 75 warding.

In terms of getting the most bang per buck, I would say it probably depends on the trees, but a combination of equal amounts of attunement and warding would probably be the best here, something like 80 attunement and 80nwarding or something along those lines.

Warding hasn't made it worse for melee fighters, it has actually made it better for them, but made it even better for fighters who dont mind raising magic too to get the double whammy.

Mimner, addrox, Barugon and 3 others like this.
  20. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Exactly. Sara who is pure melee, already had the magic skills leveled up to get resistance from attunement from before warding skills, so now he just added on the warding skills to get the double whammy. I did a test with fire on him vs my alt who only had fire attunement and the fire proof passive for fire resistance. I was getting like 110-135 tick on my ring of fire on my alt. On sara who has fire warding I was getting 70-80, then when he put on fire warding gear and the 25 resistance pot, it was down to 20-30. That is a lot of difference.

Mimner, addrox, Barugon and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.