1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Warning on exploiting the game

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Berek, Jul 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zap

Zap Avatar

@Berek Can you folks make it a tradition that if an account is permanently banned you guys take the heads of their highest level avatar on the account (if they have several) and pike them in the Brittany Graveyard with little signs to state their names and offenses? It would be a good little memento for the rest of us... XD Or maybe a little mausoleum with a crypt full of disembodied heads with plaques.

2. rild

rild Avatar

Wait, I know how to solve this!​

[​IMG]

Kvow Triumvir and Time Lord like this.
  3. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Are you people all from countrys without any Kind of data protection laws?

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

We do have freedom and data protection laws.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    Time Lord likes this.
  5. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Must. Refrain. From. Stupid. Comments. :p

Ok, let's not make a political discussion out of it.
    Let me take a different apporach here:
    Name and shame is forbidden in this forum by Portalariums EULA. They should stick to their own rules in my opinion.

6. Zap

Zap Avatar

You're that guy who doesn't get reinvited to parties, aren't you? >:p Yes, yes, I *suppose* it would be better to keep the rules simple and applied universally, especially if it's for good reasons.

Now, that being said, they should still implement my idea because it's hilarious. Also, they should implement a "stocks" system where if you're temporarily banned, your character can be found in a random instance you get drawn into as you walk near Brittany with guards that tell you the player's crime. See? It keeps getting better.

7. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Well my friends call me "Cartman" and i can assure you it's not because i am small and fat :p
    Well the UO jail was kind of funny. I am all for that.

Stahlknecht and Time Lord like this.
  8. Nhili Dragon

Nhili Dragon Avatar

Remove all rewards

Time Lord likes this.
  9. kazafk

kazafk Avatar

#He that is without sin among you , let him first cast a stone

Ive always lived under the impression that people, who ask for public witch-hunts are a equal or much greater evil than the criminal suspects themselves. Asking others doing evil to human beeings aka piercing body parts etc (even in digital state of mind, we represent humans, forgot abt it?), shows that you dont differ to much from the top level suspects on the newspapers headlines. But on top of that, it shows some cowardness, asking others to commit crimes for your pleasure. A real criminal on the other side will do the dirty work himself.

Cheating and botting is a crime and will ruin a game for others and in its own health, ruin it in an economical way etc. Thats why the devs should handly it with all force and hardness. Creating a witch-hunt outta it seems very missplaced and ill-minded contrary to this.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
    Onyx, Ravicus Domdred and Time Lord like this.
  10. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

It would be nice if there was some type of exploit detection and notification system. For example - Community members report an exploit to Portalarium and Port identifies the problem but they're still working on a patch, a notification could automatically be sent to the player giving them a warning that whatever they're doing is considered an exploit. This would eliminate some of the grey areas...then after the problem is fixed the notification could be deactivated or whatever. The notification would only be sent to the players if they trigger whatever the exploit is?

Berek, Time Lord and Net like this.
  11. Net

Net Avatar

I suppose you think that prison guards are criminal suspects who like to restrict and punish other human beings? As I said before, I think people not accepting the rules should not be treated as people who follow them. Give me the sword and I will behead them myself, I agree with Stark philosophy when it comes to punishment.

I am not sure about witch hunt, that would imply non-existing threat, but cheaters and exploiters are very real. As long as we do not punish people who remapped their keys it should be fine. II will always be proponent of transparency, I think it is much better when community knows who was cheater and what they did than if it is hushged up. I understand that Portalaarium has the rights to handle the situation as they wish, but I am glad I can get to express my opinion.

PS: If I ever got banned for using runic characters, I would be glad if it was known;)

Nhili Dragon and Time Lord like this.
  12. Net

Net Avatar

I think warning is fair first step, especially when it comes to grey areas. I suppose that most afk botters could not deal with it, but normal people might understand it. I think short ban without character reroll,, might work too for the first minor infractions. It really depends how severe is the crime, so it is up to Portalarium, I hope they will apply anything from warnings to permanent bans depending on the severity of it. And depending on whether it was first time or third time the person did it.

4EverLost, Ancev and Time Lord like this.
  13. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]
    Public floggings, by public announcing which player is was o_O
    Join your local SOTA Secret Police Force Today :D!'

~Time Lord~:cool:

14. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

I see the future of SotA if exploits ever get super bad. Fireball be like:
    [​IMG]

Stahlknecht, margaritte and Time Lord like this.
  15. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

I cheated at strip poker once...

I think there should be a gallows set up in Brit where names are put on plaques of those who get caught cheating :)

16. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Doesn't the pooled experience system take the punch out of botting?

Ice Queen and Time Lord like this.
  17. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

cheated the highscore in tetris by hexing them... then brag about it to all my friends... LOL... good old days...

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

We share this information between us quite well. So for example, if you PM me an exploit concern, we have a specific private chat area, as well as JIRA of course, to share that information with the rest of our team. I usually share it immediately with @Attenwood, whom then tells me if it's in JIRA or not.

We've already received several submission, thank you for sending these to us!

19. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

To me a exploit is cheating. You are not only cheating the game,cheating other players,but you are cheating yourself. What they may view as
    "Oh,looky what I found" thinking they are getting ahead of someone,it is actually robbing them of the actual game experience as a whole.

Being new to the game,I personally have not run across a exploit. But common sense should tell everyone that if something appears too good to be true as far a XP,drops or gathering,you need to stop right there,document and report it as a found exploit. One time finding and then stopping and reporting it will not get you in trouble,but continuing to use it will.

Don't cheat others or yourself. It's just that simple :)

20. mithra

mithra Avatar

I'm less worried about exploits honestly than sustaining the critical mass of players necessary to keep the product operational.

Everywhere I go in the game seems devoid of players, kinda like the scene in Shrek where they enter Farquaad's castle and no one is there.

[​IMG]

But for the sake of argument, how exactly does Portalarium plan to identify botters if said botters choose to conform to and target a level of activity that is AT or below the statistical expectation and norms of every other player? Seems like every single game has this issue, and there is NEVER a fix.

I believe that other than fixing a pure and obvious BUG, 99% of what companies do, and minimally must do, is to create the perception that they are combating bots. If some vocal section of the player-base didn't always exist who was up and worried about what every other player was doing and how they enjoyed a game, this really wouldn't be an issue at all. You know UO was rife with exploits and bots for YEARS and that isn't what killed the game. In fact Nothing killed it - UO is still around. What hurts a game are new product experiences and diversification of the market. And if anything kills SOTA I guarantee you it won't be exploits but rather whether the game is addictive and fun. Ironically, the way you get rid of botters is by killing your product. Just saying. On a companies' public face its fine to poopoo botting, but internally everyone at Portalarium ought to be thrilled that someone CARED enough and saw potential enough in the product to try :D I think Portalarium needs to HOPE that the world they are building with designed value will, like UO translate into emergent value.

Ice Queen, Vallo, Nasir and 1 other person like this.
  21. Hawkshield

Hawkshield Avatar

Or maybe a prison where their avatars are made into NPCs and can be viewed chipping away rock, fighting amongst themselves and essentially behind bars. Each one with their name plaque around their necks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.