Warning Text Line that Exotic Metal "Coils" Bestows No Benefit for Rings

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Nog, Jun 12, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nog

Nog Avatar

I read up on the different metal coils at the Shroud wiki to determine which metal type bestows the best bonus for me. Unfortunately I burned through some bronze ingots to find that Rings (that you wear on your finger) do not appear to carry this bonus; apparently the metal coil bonus applies only to chain mail suits???

A simple red-letter text line when you are smelting/blacksmithing that warns you this bonus will not show up on Rings/Necklaces would be awesome (at least for the next player this happens to).

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    Vladamir Begemot and Baratan like this.
  2. Matt Harris

Matt Harris Avatar

Doesn't work on necklaces either.

Nog likes this.
  3. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Could fix this by only using iron or copper to make rings and necklaces, disabiling the combine for higher coils. Furniture recipes do this by only allowing pine or maple maple boards.

Jaesun and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  4. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings all. I think the original intent was to make rings and necklaces out of gold or silver but these have not been implemented in game yet. I agree there should be a warning on the rings/necklaces recipe that there is no bonus for metal and I do wonder what bonus gold or silver would give you.

5. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Respectfully disagree on tool tip suggestion, although I understand your point. As a crafter myself it's worth noting that all alloys only show their effect once the finished item is created. This I'm sure is by design, you have to acquire the knowledge to understand the benefits of combining different materials to make an item from a hilt or blade, strap, wire, plate, ring, gem, etc. Its key to the challenge and fun of learning to craft for me and whilst SOTA has been simplified over the years, it still has many hidden or deliberately vague features you have to learn and research to understand.

Also there are tremendous guides on the forum listing all buffs and combos of buffs for different materials used in making different items.

I've lost count of the duff items I've made and mats I've burned experimenting. Also worth noting that in most cases materials benefits don't stack so combining different and complimentary materials is important. Holding shift when highlighting the finished item expands the details and shows the benefit the components bring. Keeping notes and bookmarking favourite guides helps, but very quickly it just becomes knowledge and instinct.

Nog and Athanil like this.
  6. Nog

Nog Avatar

Though to be consistent, I think I generally fall on the side of the very high learning curve for the crunchier sub-systems in MMOs (and crafting in SotA definitely qualifies) offering as much upfront help and transparency, rather than more ambiguity to navigate. But sure, at the end of the day, burning some bronze ingots when copper should be used isn't in itself a colossal deal.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Steevodeevo likes this.
  7. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

I think we do not need more warning stuff but more work on the crafting systhem.
    ((and yes i am aware that there are a certain number of people working on an infinite amount of stuff so it will take time))

Metals should add stuff to rings, BUT if i want to make two rings and i have gold but not iron at hand i am quite glad to use a few bars of gold replacing iron instead running around to gather/buy 4 bars....)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.