Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

WASD vs. WAXD

Discussion in 'Release 21 Feedback' started by GreyMouser Skye, Sep 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

Just wondering. Is it only those who grew up playing Ultima Underworld that insist on using WAXD and get all kinds of screwed up when the defaults are set to WASD? When did WASD come about anyway?

Not an important thread, but I was curious. I love to use the S key for very necessary quick things like health packs and melee attacks in FPS games. The X backward key is just so much more natural to me.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Change them on the settings, defaults are not required just a starting point you could use TFBG or 456T all your choice.

Katrina Bekers and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  3. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

I understand that. It was a general question about gaming, not the mechanics here. But thank you.

Jivalax Azon and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  4. drrhodes

drrhodes Avatar

I've been computer gaming since the time we made computers out of rocks ... WASD has been around since I can remember (which is about a time span of 3 minutes these days). I don't recall a game with WAXD, but I can't recall if I ever played Ultimate Underground or not.

I personally prefer an XT keyboard with ESDF keys for movement. IMO, the CTRL key "should" be next to the 'A' key and function keys to the left. But then I'm old and we oldies like things how they were, never as they become. VIVA the teletype! LOL

5. Mastese

Mastese Avatar

Been gaming since TI99-4A, and never adopted WASD...I've always used the numpad, and still do...

6. crydee

crydee Avatar

I was first introduced to WASD when Doom2 multiplayer came in, and people started using keyboard+mouse. The defaults were arrow keys, but using arrow keys with a left hand + mouse in the right hand was very cramped and awkward!

Since playing World of Warcraft, I started using ESDF in order to have a couple of extra easy to press bindings.

ps. is it just me or do the defaults reset every new major release? I only started in r20, and some of my bindings were reset for r21

7. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

Tyde is spot-on.

When First Person Shooter (FPS) games took center stage in gaming in the late 90's, many games (and gamers) moved over to WASD (or ESDF, or similar) plus mouse movement. I didn't start using both keyboard and mouse until Quake II came out, but I haven't looked back.

We're still in pre-alpha, so key bindings will reset on occasion (like when a new command comes out and requires a default key...bindings are reset so that you must re-bind the new command to a different key if the default key is one you would use for something else).

Also, I don't use one of these personally, but the concept is cool, and allows for many key bindings.

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-orbweaver-chroma

[​IMG]

Tyde likes this.
  8. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

i cant do FPS's or space/flight sims without Y axis inveted. Thanks Mechwarrior 3 >.<

Mastese likes this.
  9. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

I think WASD was popularized as default with Castle Wolfenstein in 1981 - I had it for Apple ][e.

About the same time, I remember many games used IJKM (Panic and Lode Runner come to mind).

Apple ][ lacked four-ways cursors (only left/right arrows) and keypad, so the keyboard was used for reverse-T or +-shaped movement keys layout.

Soulicide, Tyde and Mastese like this.
  10. Mastese

Mastese Avatar

One of my all time favorites...

11. Wylfing

Wylfing Avatar

I use QWES. I don't get how people can stick their middle finger out that far ... I feel dirty

Alley Oop likes this.
  12. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

Interesting. makes some sense Wylfing. I guess the buttons in the diamond shape are more intuitive to me when it comes to strafing, the all important FPS skill.

Jivalax Azon and Soulicide like this.
  13. ottomaddux

ottomaddux Avatar

I miss Lode Runner...:(

14. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

I am guessing the OP meant Ultima Underworld. I don't remember using WAXD for it back then.. I thought it was mouse and the arrow keys. Whenever I revisit it, however, I do configure they keys in DOSBox for WAXD because S was already configured to something else that made more sense there. After playing it for a while it does feel weird coming back to a modern WASD game.

Darnit, now you've made me want to load up UW. That game was life support for me at one time. Frustratingly brilliant.

15. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

You are correct. I edited the original. Thank you. I think I have it installed right now, I will check tonight to see what 'S' did because I am curious now.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  16. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

I like WASD

17. Alexandra Cornfellow

Alexandra Cornfellow Avatar

This is one of the few areas where being left handed is an advantage. I just use the arrow keys--and the number pad works great for hot keys.

Soulicide likes this.
  18. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

I use WASD, have no problem with WAXD, but I think you could use X for whatever you have bound to S as a hotkey, and it'd be just as easy/fast to press :)

19. Gix

Gix Avatar

Bungie's Marathon series (1994) was one of the first FPS games to feature (optional) mouse-look controls to replace the arrowkeys + spacebar configuration and WASD was the setup used for mouse-look controls because ESDF wasn't practical for extensive SHIFT and CTL key usage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.