Watching this Weeks Hangout of the Avatar

Discussion in 'The Kingdoms of Old' started by Lord Vaylgar Vexsian, Nov 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Vaylgar Vexsian

Lord Vaylgar Vexsian Avatar

During the video I noticed a lot of talking down of Ultmia 9 Ascention, I was in the beta test and purchased the game back then , I just dont understand what everyone has against this Ultima, this Ultima was to me a very fun and a one of my favorates, I have played every single Ultima as they came out all the way back to the first and there wasnt a single one I didnt love , although 1-4 were not the same quailty as all the later ones.
    I just wanted Richard Garriott to know that there are those of us out there who very much enjoyed and were thankful for all Ultimas, and very much enjoyed ones I hear people put down.
    Granted Ultima 9 had some bugs but nothing that would ruin the game , I played U9 all the way through like 3 times the first year I had it and enjoyed every single time as much as the first.

Being one thats been here playing these games by RG since I was much younger, The only game I never cared for was Tabula Rasa and that was only after it was changed so much near the end of release, I saw a huge change form the time the gameplay and story when all of the previous work was corrupted by not Richard Garriott I think. I am pretty sure it was the financal backers who have never played a game in their life and have no place trying to dictate content to the Masters of game and world creation like Richard Garriott.

Just had to input my peice of mind as I love every single Ultima ever made and I wouldnt have been the gamer I am today without them.

rild likes this.
  2. sakuraba

sakuraba Avatar

Some elements of Ultima 9 I liked!

Some of the animations were particularly good....like when you cleanse a moongate.

I enjoyed some of the musical scores and it was great to have so much digital speech even if the voice acting was terrible....... but generally speaking I thought it was really unfinished and did not feel like an Ultima at all for me.

three main gripes I had with it were:

The story and dialogue was a mess.
    Combat was unfinished.
    Just plain buggy in general.

You say "had some bugs but nothing that would ruin the game"
    I had great difficulty with bugs and a couple of times had to restart or load a game waaaaay back.

What did you think of Spoony's Ultima 9 videos? I thought they were spot on.

3. Lord Vaylgar Vexsian

I remember hundreds not thousands of times of having similar rants he had towards EA, especially when they crushed UO2 Beta I signed up for in favor of a peice of crap expansion "Third Dawn" , I do disagree 9 was worse then 8 , my personal opinion pegan was the worst and yes mainly becuase of the gameplay.

Also I would have to add this about Noah Antwiler aka "Spoony": his videos he did in 2012, although I dont know his real age he looks to be in his lower 20s, I myself and 40 and played these games back in the day when they were new, not 10-15 years later as a person who really wouldnt understand technology in those days becuase he was in diapers or not mentally able to even play these types of games back then and I think a reveiw in 2012 is a unfair review when your pitting a game that was done over a decade ago against a person who has a lack of what games and technology was like back then. Sure you can read about it, but its not the same thing as living in those times and playing computer games in those times.

Thus I take issue with anyone who wasnt there and didnt play in those times who makes these types of rants, whether "Technically true" or not, I can nit pick anything apart and show flaws or mistakes in almost anything given a decade or so.

Granted and I agree there were a lot of "mistakes" or "Betrayals" by people in the development, who possibly didnt care about the historical lore and previous trips, didnt have a clue. However I always got the feeling they were trying to teach or bring in virgin Ultima gamers, or "first timers" in the game and used tutoiral type dialoge to teach people who maybe otherwise wouldnt know, and becuase I thought of it like this I overlooked this about the game.

Yes, I know at the same time it felt like it insulted the loyal fan base who have been with Ultima series for years past, but was not at all intended I think. It was annoying, yes but it was great to me back then to see the giant leap forward Ultima series had come .

I knew EA had infringed on the orginal story by RG, and that was and even to this day upsets me and I feel like this game series . I do miss the orginal storyline, and honestly at this point with how bad games are now days, I would take even a badly made Ultima at this point as long as it brough be back to some of those old feelings I felt for all those years when I played the Ultima series and even UO until EA completely ruined it when UO was scrapped and Richard was removed by EA for that POS Expansion that broke everyones UO when it came out.

I mean I quit UO for about 2 years in defiance of EA and never really went back to any OSI servers becuase of that whole ordeal , but was drawn back but only into private servers who kept UO orginal or atleast good mod enhancements with Advanced Dungeons and Dragon rules modified into UO.

Yea Ill totally agree Ultima 9 had its issues, but honestly after beta testing it and when it was released after I bought it as well and I was sent disk 2 in the mail by Origin when they patched some of the issues I never had a crash or corrupt save file again. And I played the game through front and back 3 times the first year after release. I still because I love Ultima Series and Richard Garriotts work, enjoyed Ultima 9 much more then Ultima Pegan.
    Storyline is important very important yes but if immerse someone into a world and can keep them there sometimes that’s more important than the storyline or some of the bugs to me. In a perfect world we would always have both, but obviously especially from looking at today’s crap games they are released, and how every MMO is the exact same fking thing over and over it’s like all these developers today use the same template that’s totally bullshit and boring.

I cant tell you how many times I wished I had studied game development for my AAS and BS degrees so I could write my own game with the things I know real players and gamers want, something to draw them in, and keep them there!

I want another game that makes me waste my entire weekend and waking hours being in another world, one that I sit there and forget to eat because the game is so much fun, and involved, I am sick of what I call “WoWitized” or dumbed down games of today. Since DAoC I haven’t been able to stay interested in a MMO or game for more than a couple months because I get to the end of the content and bam it’s now boring, nothing changes, it’s the same crap hour after hour, minute after minute, day after day. Almost like a video game made for a lemming.

Maybe I am just a fan to the point of being flawed, I love all the work RG has done, it was my younger years and helped me become the gamer I am today, good or bad I dont know some might vote some of each, I do know one thing, my love of RPG started with Pen and Paper Advanced Dungeons and Dragons in 1978 when I met and was given my first hard back AD&D Manuel by Gary Gygax "Dungeons Masters Guide" by a friend of mine a few years older who played. ( And to this day I still have the majority of my Hardback Manuels from 1978-80s all first edition about 18 in all left from my orginal collection) and the closest ive ever been to that feeling of emersion , vastness of world and limitless possibilites was with Richard Garriotts Games.

4. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

Ah yes, Ultima 9. The only Ultima I never really finished because of the endless bugs and crashes. It also seemed like it was 'rushed' and therfore, didn't feel like it was completed. Ultima 8 to me was the second worst because of the 'arcade style' of game play and the endless hours spent trying to hop from one moving plateform to another without getting killed, which meant saving every minute or so. It also lacked the depth in the story that I so much enjoyed in previous ultimas. And its mediocre success ensured that the 'Lost Vale' expansion was never completed and released. To me, the Ultimas that I enjoyed ended with U7 serpent Isle, which still stands out as my personal favorite. Hopefully, I will be able to call Shroud of the Avatar a 'true' ultima.

5. AndiZ275

AndiZ275 Avatar

I liked Ultima IX. It was a shame, it was never properly finished (especially in the underwater dungeon). There are million things to explore and I like the different designs of the pillar dungeons.
    But the story was a mess, combat too simple for RPG with a strong action component and I hated the memory lag...
    Still it's a guilty pleasure of mine ;-)

Lord Vaylgar Vexsian likes this.
  6. Lord Vaylgar Vexsian

Yes I did really like the soundtrack and music in U9, very well suited to Ultima Enviornment

7. Favonius Cornelius

Favonius Cornelius Avatar

A game makes a first impression pretty quick and stays that way, just the nature of gaming. I so looked forward to Rome Total War II but now it will always be in the category of 'release should have been delayed'.

Ultima IX was in the buggy as hell, very frustrating restarts common. Will always be remembered as such even if its been worked out by today.

Some of the early Ultima's were amazing for the degree of interactivity with the world and how actions tied into variable outcome or character generation. Light years ahead of other games. Same as Ultima Online.

Now LB is ready to do it again. :)

8. Lord Vaylgar Vexsian

Agree a lot of people back then did not have the proper hardware and video card to run the game without issues, I think I was running a 3dfx voodoo card I think back then, maybe the banshee been a long time I cant remeber which at this point but it played fine for me after Origin sent me Disk 2 replacement with all the new patches and updates to the client.

9. sakuraba

sakuraba Avatar

yes the recommended specs were really high end upon its release. I was really impressed with the in game video sequences in Ultima 9 when it came out.

Ultima 8 dissapointed me much more than Ultima 9 did :)
    I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw my favorite two things from Serpent Isle gone: character portaits and a party system.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Lord Vaylgar Vexsian

yea that was upsetting !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.