Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Water gathering and small farms...

Discussion in 'Release 35 Feedback Forum' started by bgood4llts, Oct 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Numa

Numa Avatar

I like this idea :) There should also be a hit on focus/stamina since drawing water is even more strenous than walking or running.

Knightguy and Black Tortoise like this.
  2. uhop

uhop Avatar

So here I am: on a tiny piece of land I own I placed a water well, and a fountain (!) in my basement (!) occupies almost all space. It is a Water Village lot --- almost no land to place anything --- all around my house is water, water, and more water. My avatar is sitting in a chair, fishing, looking at a beautiful sunset, feeling generally stupid with the water well on the shoreline, and the underground fountain. I am sitting in front of my monitor, looking at all this water, feeling mighty bored from getting the required 100 buckets of water from the well envying the avatar, who has no care in his life.

Vladamir Begemot and Numa like this.
  3. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Yah I am often setting unrealistic boundaries and expectations for myself in this manner - having an arbitrary and irregular border around what is me roleplaying and what is me "cheating" on it hehe.

I gave up and I crafted a couple of wells (some for sale of course :) ) and plopped one down in my front yard. I drew as much water as I could tolerate, then plopped the well back into a desk drawer inside my house. For me it would be more fun to have to meet at the town center with the rest of the folk and get water (though to still have the freedom to "dig my own well"), but until we get an uncloning, Ill magically whip a well out of my pants when I need it ;).

4. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

One way to reduce the amount of clicking would be allowing the wells to fill up with water over time and you can choose withdraw X amount of water out of that quantity. So for example if you place a new well on your lot and it takes a few real life days to fill up to a maximum of quantity of 50 water. Withdrawing each bucket of water would take a defined amount of time, and you could set the maximum withdrawal to 20 similar to other crafting interfaces. I would still include the chance to find random stuff in the wells during the withdrawal process, which would probably draw from a different loot table than trying to collect water from the sea or a stream.

So I walk up to the well, double click it, it shows me the maximum water quantity in the well. I choose 20, and hit craft. It creates 20 buckets of water (turning 20 empty buckets into 20 buckets of water) which might take 3-4 seconds per bucket of water. This would be consistent with other methods of crafting and eliminate a lot of mouse movement and clicking. After I've pumped out all of the water of the well, it takes time to regenerate.

If I'm near a freshwater stream I can ...collect large amounts of water without having a well. If I'm near a salt based body of water I would need to process the water to filter the salt then I'd have 2 resources

Numa likes this.
  5. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

It doesn't matter what the source of the water is, it would be nice to draw 20 pales of water (or whatever # you chose), instead of clicking twice to get one pale... dbl click, take all, dbl click, take all, etc...

6. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I have ambiguous feelings on this topic.

On the one hand, if you have a lot of plants, it is tiresome to draw water out of a well for them.

On the other hand, making it easy to draw huge or unlimited amounts of water to water plantations makes it even easier for rich (in-game) players to make fortunes through farming. I think that for many of these rich players buying buckets of water is a reasonable alternative.

I would like it if only plants in greenhouses would need to be watered every day. Plants growing outside grow more slowly, but they get watered automatically when it rains.

Numa, Net and Alley Oop like this.
  7. Numa

Numa Avatar

I thimk this is fair. Plants growing outside greenhouses will also be susceptible to bird & insect attacks which Port hints is a possibility.

Kara Brae likes this.
  8. redfish

redfish Avatar

Personally, I think its weird that whenever we're talking about the gameplay, we're setting as the baseline high yield grinding; as if everyone has accepted the game should center around grinding hundreds of ores, or hundreds of woods, or killing hundreds of bandits, or farming hundreds of plants.

And, of course, the way the game currently works, you need to in order to pay your rent, or make certain items. But maybe that's the real problem we need to talk about...

uhop, Numa and Kara Brae like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.