Water Magic, what am i doing wrong?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Morph, Aug 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Looks like 1 second to me.

2. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I experiment nearly the same and would join what Sorthious said.
    I think the Mobs are more resistant to your lowlevel spell attack.
    If i fight higher mobs they more often arent slowed.
    How high is your icy breath?

Numa likes this.
  3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Resistance to debuffs shortens their duration.

Numa likes this.
  4. Morph

Morph Avatar

Its 41

I picked water magic to have more disables, more CC for kiting.. Thing is the duration has been the same for me since level 1 to 40 no change, as mentioned i tried on several different monsters and it all the same.

If its resistance i dont get why my disable shot has no problems at all, its level 50 (10 higher than my two water spells) and it working fine, it slows for 15 seconds as it says,

You can see Disabling Shot here:

5. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Yes i am also an Ice/ Watermage in the first place and i like to kite, disable, CC, root etc. btw. root doesnt work at all for me, because of its low level, all Mobs are instantly free again. I think its because a general magic resistance to all magic that all Mobs have.
    then some have especial school resistance like Elementars for the Element they stand for.
    Your Ranged skill does physical damage no magic.
    But i can confirm that with higher levels its more usefull, although not all mobs are allways slowed or slowed for a long time.
    Glad to have icefiled again castable while moving, this was disabled for some Releases. It was rather useless while kiting, because you need to stand still to cast icefiled.
    Also for Moonbeams, it doesnt work that good for me, but its also relatively low level and i'm trying to get Dazzling Rays and do some experiments.
    Keep beeing a Watermage - most people use Fire and Death, but Water is a great tree imho.

Numa likes this.
  6. Morph

Morph Avatar

Oki well then the tooltips should be changed - its absurd that it says those high numbers. 17 sec slow is more like 2 second slow at level 40 ... it makes no sense making tooltip fool people that is much better than it is.

Vladamir Begemot and Stundorn like this.
  7. Gix

Gix Avatar

Welcome to Shroud of the Avatar, the game where the leveling process is such that your skills are only ever useful AFTER you've passed the level 40-60 range... with the argument that "it doesn't take time to level up" as an excuse.

In your particular case, though, it sounds like a bug.

8. Morph

Morph Avatar

Well i dont get any reply to it when i reported it as bug. Now my field is level 60 and still no change still only slows for a few seconds while it says 20 seconds.

9. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

As I said, I believe the tootips are giving you a potential of how long the spell effect will last, not how long it will last. Other things I mentioned, such as a mobs resists, your attunement, and your intelligence will alter that Base potential for affecting a mob. You can't really alter the toolips if a mobs resists play a part in the duration and effectiveness of a particular spell because it will change based on your target and some spells affect multiple targets. It couldn't display multiple durations/effect percentages for mobs of different types at the same time.

10. Morph

Morph Avatar

I just went to the very first monster i encountered in the game, solace bridge zombies. They are slowed as much as yellow monster in a 5 skull zone. If it has the portential at level 60 for me to last 21.6 second and it last 3,5 seconds on the very first monster in the game, i somehow believe the portential is rather off. After that i tried next zone where you go after the bridge... same deal. There is no difference no matter where i go lowest level or highest i can fight ... Then i would really like to know where i can see that the portential it has actually us true, i cannot find any monsters.

Stundorn likes this.
  11. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

As others have mentioned to you, at your low level and low attunement, the effect IS going to be essentially the same. Even though it may show 2sec duration on those Earth Elementals you were fighting in the video, it's probably like 2.38secs or something like that. They aren't really whole numbers. Right now it may not seem like the spell is getting any better, but trust me it is. It worked the same way for me when I was a low-level player. When you start getting to around 60 in your skills and get a higher Water Attunement and higher Intelligence you will notice the difference. I'm not trying to discount a possible bug, but what you've described so far sounds normal to me. I believe that the mobs you are fighting are giving you all the, essentially, same results because they all have a basic resistance to all types of magic. As your skill gets higher than their resists, you will start to see more of an effect from your spells. I think that @Chris discussed this in a video I saw, I will see if I can find it and will post a link.

edit: I couldn't find where @Chris spoke about spell durations specifically, but you may still be interested in some of these question/answer sessions where @Chris discusses a lot of the game mechanics:

Tech Talk Tuesday(s)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  12. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I'm pretty sure that mobs in a Field Effect are only affected for like 1 or 2secs at a time. This renews after that 1/2secs is up, provided they are still within the Field.

Numa likes this.
  13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Disabling Shot is not magic. No magic resistance will work against it. Disabling Shot also does not affect the targets attack speed, only the movement speed.

14. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Please post your videos in your bug report, as well as the description of how it's not even slowing Zombies. All this discussion does nothing.

Just get it in the view of the developers. It's not functioning as intended/expected, ie. totally not matching the tooltips, the developers can decide what to do from there. Now that you've shown it quite well, you should get some response.

Stundorn and Morph like this.
  15. Morph

Morph Avatar

I will then, i took it here since i posted a report and some replies it was not a bug, so i had to get some intel on the matter.

Stundorn likes this.
  16. Numa

Numa Avatar

Try the ice/water spells you are having problems with on a practice dummy - that should provide good baseline data on how long the slow effects really last. Central Brittany has a room full of them in a rotunda near the docks.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  17. Numa

Numa Avatar

I just tested both Ice Arrow & Ice Fist on a training dummy - the slow effects & duration matched what the tool tip said they were supposed to be. Have to agree with @Sorthious and @Stundorn that it must be the mob's magical resistance that is a factor in reducing the debuf effects. Whether the reduction is correct has to be tested on preferably the same mob type but of different levels.

Stundorn and Sorthious like this.
  18. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I tried Ice Arrow on a Kobold in Elysium and it gave me 27s slow duration. The tool tip for me(unstacked) says -45.1% Move Rate for 31.1s. at 101 Ice Arrow. So, the Kobold was able to resist 4.1s of duration. So, if someone with a lower(or higher) level wants to compare their results with mine...that may help.

Stundorn and Numa like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.