We are EA

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Verit, Apr 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Verit

Verit Avatar

As we get closer to completion of episode 1 many players are losing patience. It is "so close we can taste it". This has made people concerned about content and player population.
    The team making this game has a lot of experience and I trust them to make the right decisions regarding release of content and the official launch.

My point is:
    We are effectively being EA. We are NCsoft trying to impose a deadline.
    We are pressuring Port to release a game before they feel it is ready. One reason they turned to crowd funding was to avoid this scenario.

I have faith that Port knows what they are doing and have plenty of stuff waiting backstage to wow us on release, which will bring back discouraged players and attract new ones.

I have trouble thinking of a solution to this current situation. Perhaps, they could release more story content ? ... but that could backfire by causing the official launch to be lackluster.

What could Port do to set your mind at ease?

2. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

I don't think anyone is asking portalarium to release. Just make changes to the game that are pertinent to their interests and views on what needs to happen for a successful game.

For one skill decay needs to go away...completely.
    It's not affecting me that much today but double it will and everyone reaches high level on a long enough timeline.

For another there needs to be fun content from level 1 to 200. Always a reason to log in that day. And it shouldn't require a group or pvp to do it.

3. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

i think most people want the game NOT to release. instead they want it to be finished.
    the discussion is what features does it need... i just can say that i cannot find anything that would make me play the game on the roadmaps i have seen so far.
    i got the game pretty early but haven't played for ages with my guild.

4. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Improve performance, improve the new player experience, stop nerfing everything, simplify and streamline the game. Polish everything especially animations and textures. Focus on fun, fast, and rewarding gaming.

The Devs seem to be doing most of these activities.

By Tor, Brink1123, Elwyn and 9 others like this.
  5. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

Teach me how to meditate?

Stundorn, K1000, Verit and 1 other person like this.
  6. yarnevk

yarnevk Avatar

Do you mean Electronic Arts or Early Access?

The issue of release is not up to us, it is up to RG vs. DS. RG wanted a summer release based on existing funding, DS wanted end of year based on continued funding. However that was last telethon, and certainly they both must have changed their minds given they have an ad out for a quest writer level designer - there is no way a new hire is going to complete things in a few months

Personally I don't think they should release an RPG that does not have a polished story in both offline and online modes. They should not release until they have the phasing tech in place, as well as revamp all the small instances that drive people to quit. It also means offline needs all the economic and companions reworked to be playable.

I think the only pressure to release comes from RMT looking to cash in their profits. Those of us that actually want to play the game think we are better off waiting. There is a lesson to be learned from NoMansSky

7. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

This has been my gripe (as most of you know ;)) for awhile, not enough compelling lore/story content. Thankfully, @Berek pointed out that they hired some new peeps to focus solely on getting more of this into the game, which is great! :D

This certainly did a lot to ameliorate some of my immediate concerns. Now it's more of a waiting game, for me, to see how this new story driven content is going to get implemented in the next couple of months. Just need to be patient which, as we all know, is ALSO a virtue, lol! ;)

8. Verit

Verit Avatar

I am a bit confused by this.
    When the game is "finished", it should be released. no?

I want to see the game released when Port feels is finished. As badly as I want to have a completed product to enjoy and evaluate, I want it to be the complete "director's cut" with everything Port wants to present us with.

9. Verit

Verit Avatar

Sorry, I was referring to big game publishers. Not early access.

10. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

The product will be working continuously as long as they have the resources for it. I wouldn't wait until they have a "completed product" to enjoy and evaluate because it may never be completed. However, for your case, it would be more like finding the cutting point/milestone where the game is better polished with more quests and fun things to do.

Unless you check the forum regularly, I would recommend to check at least once a month a few days after each release to see if the game is at the point for your liking to sink some time in. I pledged back in 2014, but only logged into the game like once a month. It wasn't until Dec 2015 that I found it's worth trying to learn the game in details and start building my path.

Stundorn, Verit and Cordelayne like this.
  11. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Leaving Early Access means release and then it's judgement day.

Therefore the game should not be released for quite some time. Not until the story is fun, there are many cool quests with choices and consequences and a offline mode that plays and feels like a true single-player game. From the things mentioned, right now nothing is there...

12. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

This game should not be considered released until there a fully fleshed out and functional moral system

Ravicus Domdred and Verit like this.
  13. Verit

Verit Avatar

I agree.
    Release will be judgement day.
    I want to see this game to bask in the glow of good reviews when that time comes.

I also agree that the game needs more story and fun quests. The problem I have is deciding if these things should be released in early access to appease current players or should they hold off on releasing more quests until the official launch ?

Stundorn, Dantuin and Lord_Darkmoon like this.
  14. Verit

Verit Avatar

I am really hoping they can achieve this.

Not only because we want a worthy successor to the Ultima games but it will also help the mmo aspect.
    If we have a compelling and satisfying single player game, the mmo built on top of it will have a strong foundation of lore and quests to "sandbox" in.

15. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

That's a rather bold statement considering the number of devs and designers on the team with a clean and successful MMORPG launch under their belt is roughly 1 or 2 depending on what you consider clean and successful.

Xandra7, Verit and Ice Queen like this.
  16. yarnevk

yarnevk Avatar

Posting a twitter ad is not the same thing as actually hiring someone and them ramping up to speed. Nobody has been hired yet. Even if they find someone now, they may not work out and then they are into a fire then hire again cycle. Yes it is a good thing they listened to the critics and realized they need to hire writing staff , but it is also a bad thing this was not realized years ago.

Which is why I say wait, don't push this out the door early. But I think the push is coming from the top because they are running out of gas the longer they go.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  17. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

+1

Cordelayne, Stundorn and Verit like this.
  18. Verit

Verit Avatar

Fair point. There is a lot of fresh talent on the team too.

RG has more experience than anyone. , period.

Starr and Chris have been at this a long time too.

Stundorn and fonsvitae like this.
  19. Sargon

Sargon Avatar

I could not agree more. Skill decay is a terrible system and I simply don't have enough free time to be losing the progress I made in my limited play time. Skill caps work, so I can't understand why this team is fighting so hard against them.

20. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

Implement a storyline at eye-level with Ultima VII!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.