We need more COTO's and gold to actually test (some suggestions)

Discussion in 'QA Feedback Archive' started by Anpu, Feb 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Today I went to QA and bought that really cool Kobold village home that was in the vault, and then spent the rest of the coto's I had left on various store deco. I was pleasantly surprised all of the deco surfaces in that home worked perfectly with all the deco I got from the store.

I actually wanted to test the Town Kobold home, but I don't get and have that much coto's (nor do I have a town lot, or enough coto's to upgrade an existing one) on QA.

And now I have no more coto's to check anything else. I'll probably have to keep logging in every day for a few weeks to get more to actually test more store stuff (are aware how HOW much items in the store cost)?

But if you do a copy from Live, well then, we now start over again.

Handing us 2 million coto's a day (which would probably cause a temporary server ban... ;) ) on QA is probably not going to encourage more testing, but possibly a bunch of people would run in there and try various store things things they have always wanted. But who knows.

To adequately test some of the store stuff you need to give us more. If that is what you want us to do. You do not give us enough currently.

Some suggestions are:

Increase the daily login amount, say...... 50,000 coto's. 2,000,000 gold (have you seen the prices of some player items??).

Increase the daily login amount by the number of hours a person has spent on QA.

Run events like make a post on the QA forum "Hey guys! Lets test ALL of the village homes on the store! Log into QA for the next 2 weeks and get 50,000 coto's a day on the QA SERVER!".

Just some suggestions.

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Great suggestions, @Anpu . ;)
    Agree completely with all .
    It's only "play money" that can't effect anything on the live server, so why not ?

Violet Ronso and Anpu like this.
  3. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Well, if it encourages people to actually test stuff then this is good. For *me* it will.

I don't know what other people will do.

I can't fathom what other concerns they may have giving us more?

Violet Ronso likes this.
  4. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

Would be nice if you could set your skills on QA similar to UO's Test Center server. Or maybe literal XP potions and a 'super' potion of guidance.

Anpu and FrostII like this.
  5. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

There's nothing anyone CAN do with the extra gold/coto's - other than - SPEND it on the QA Server !

ABSOLUTELY @Ancev !

Just like gold or coto's , there's absolutely nothing we can take xp's, skills, loot, etc. back to the Live server.

We could test templates and give feedback to them, without any danger of any of it affecting the Live server !

UO had it exactly right !

Violet Ronso and Ancev like this.
  6. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Or just make it all free on the QA server.

7. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

See no reason why not ....

Ya can't take it with ya, and it would allow us testers to be completely free to test whatever needs testing, with no hindrances whatsoever ...

Violet Ronso likes this.
  8. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

Greetings!

Yes, the plan is to "fluff up" the Gold, CotOs and XP Pool Bonus on login.
    This will be going into effect after R75 goes live. (over the weekend, if not sooner)

We will see what levels we can put things to; if after the changes the numbers are too low, let me know and we will keep tweaking. :D

9. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

I got a log in reward today (friday) on QA. I hope this was not supposed to go to my regular shard character.....which did not get a reward....

10. Ravalox

This will not impact your live account :) If you don't get the login rewards on the Live server by Tuesday, let me know. (I haven't gotten them on live yet either, so I 'll check to make sure they have been deployed on live)

FrostII and kaeshiva like this.
  11. Ravalox

This will still occur, just has not made it into a QA build yet ... please bear with us!

FrostII and kaeshiva like this.
  12. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I absolutely use QA as a 'try before you buy' tool for some of the really expensive stuff. There's no reason not to hand out silly amounts of coto on QA since it all goes poof. Making stuff 'free' on the shop has a risk of 'oopsy we made it free on live' -not likely, but its one of those things its probably better not to mess with. Much easier to just up the amount of the free handout I would think. I absolutely bought, tested, fell in love with a house on QA and on the back of that bought it on live. Also sometimes happens the other way, when you get the house and realize certain deco wont fit or that the deco surfaces are a mess (and then you bug report them and test it again later and maybe its fixed...)

FrostII, Anpu and Alley Oop like this.
  13. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Will this be added soon? Someone had a question about a possible ship lot bug, I still cannot go and check this for that person because I don’t have enough COTO’s to even check this.

Completely understand you had that very nasty deco bug and fixed that. That probably delayed this.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    FrostII and majoria70 like this.
  14. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

msg me when you're ready to test, and I can log in over there and make you COTO rich on QA ;) Goes for anyone needing goodies or power boosts to test something -- just let me know and we just gotta time it to be in there at the same time.

FrostII likes this.
  15. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Elgarion The ability to test both old and new (thinking Barding here) trees/skills on QA, for those of us who would like to - is severely hindered without the ability to raise skills to levels necessary to test up to GM levels.
    Since xp's etc. are never seen by the "Live client" and thereby can't be exploited, why not give us either the ability to raise skills to any level chosen, or at least give us 150mill xp's to raise them "manually".
    The former would be the most effecient/effective, but at least giving us the xp's necessary would certainly help.

I am currently using the 55mill xp's avail in my pool on QA just to test the new Bard tree, and so far have many hours JUST raising the skills sufficiently to test at high (GM) levels - and have more hours before I even BEGIN testing.... Surely you and Chris must recognize this as an issue.

What say 'ye, oh dev god ? :)

Violet Ronso likes this.
  16. Ravalox

During Dev assisted testing events we can magically raise your skill levels. If you have a group that wants to test this weekend, please ping me with date/time so I can see if I can meet you on QA and get you going!

17. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

That is fine and all, and greatly appreciated, but it would be fun for players if they could just randomly pop into QA and get their training on. This has especially been felt with the bard tree, considering how slow the cast timers are, and how slow it eats up exp to train. I find the raising our levels manually is probably the better option, allows us to find bugs that could pop up during the levelling, but if the QA exp gift that it gives daily could be buffed to like 500m exp per day, someone with a low exp pool could feel like his participation was felt a bit better.

what I would like to see (and hope you can maybe discuss this or a variant you feel works of this) is :

- HUGE exp/gold/coto daily reward (hundreds of mills of exp, 10m gold, 25k coto)
    - Training speed buff (permanent on QA), a bit like the obsidian potions, lost vale buff, LB cupcakes and mentor bonus, but bring it to 10x speed or something!

These two benefits (that I feel could simply be a change in numbers in the code, maybe I am wrong here) could greatly benefit the QA process for any changes to skills/training. This could incite players to participate more, and have their testing experience made a bit more fun.

On the topic of getting players to participate more, maybe do a daily pass on every bug thread that has new info, and mark it as read or something. Some bug reports go a while without being acknowledged, and this can deter people from going back in the QA, feeling like they just waste their time testing, since anything they report just disappears into the "archives" without even being acknowledged. Just look at the combat bugs page, bugs reported since the 25th of February are still unanswered! That is almost a whole month without even knowing if you guys know about the bug. A simple "Known" or "as designed" or even "Can you try again in the next QA Update" could go miles in the direction of having players wanting to test out!

So yeah, sorry went a bit overboard, but I hope these things can be taken into consideration!

FrostII likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.