Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

We should all become "Death"?

Discussion in 'Release 42 Feedback Forum' started by Wextel, May 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wextel

Wextel Avatar

Ok just logged and started to play, basically i tried first 6 duel , i Always won against that guys also 5 mins before server goes down for the patch, now i loose 6 time in a row and was even close to be a challenge for him, the result was just: Zero focus and Zero HP for me, him to 80% focus and 90% HP;

The mainly difference at first duel was i used my usual deck and he used a locked one, so i switched to a locked one too, but noway.

So maybe wasn't the deck the problem maybe was he is Death +other things and me Fire+other things; Then we swtiched to pve, same thing, focus starving almost Always, damage output seem not to be the same etc.

Now with the same amount of life spell vs my friend Death spell, same skill level and attunement, i heal 40, he heal 40 but in the while he do damage and ofc he can tap soul and have focus each time he want. So was wondering why we should not just all turn Death, spam spell without be never focus starving and do damage while get healed; and ofc you can spam like hell, with life you can't or you run oom asap.

P.S. Btw where should new skill fire speed do 20% more damage?! Cause i didn't noticed that.

EDIT to say:

No Just in case

Healing touch cost 13 focus cd 6 seconds cast time 1 sec;heal
    Healing ray cost 18 focus cd 8 seconds cast time 1 sec; heal

Death touch cost 8 focus cd 8 seconds cast time 0,7 sec ; Heal and do damage
    Death ray cost 7 focus cd 6 seconds cast time 1 sec; Heal and do damage

Basically the way to have sustain is play Death+any other thing you have in mind, then you can be OP using Death+archery and taming; To make the invincible deck now u should do that:

1 unlocked random damage abilities of all kind u want 2 locked Death touch 3 locked Death ray 4 locked Death field 5 locked tap soul from 6 to Zero random defensive cd you want to mitigate damage, boost damage or speed and then just spam till ur fingers become bloody.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    Corinzio likes this.
  2. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

Eh, but that's no fun playing someone else's math optimized build. Besides, it'll get balanced eventually as well.

3. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Absolutely, specifically for PvE, you want to do higher end content, you gotta be death (bows are the only thing that come close) period.

Almost every player worth their salt in game is running it for PvE period.

PvP has become more balanced but its still limited to a few specific builds (death, earth, dual wield daggers with poison.. etc...).

Saying this...

...Incoming.... 50 death mages to argue against this to protect their uber build :)

FYI: Im ok with death mages soloing 30K boss mobs (when I run out of focus at the 3K damage mark)... I just want other class's to have that sustainability then.

Wextel likes this.
  4. Wextel

Wextel Avatar

The problem for me is not someone is OP and other not, but it's sad all will just play the same builds, have the same schools and you will just see all archers or Death mage; One of the thing i like of this game is you can basically do milion of combination and find thousands of different decks, and the limits are inside the number and choice of glyphs u make in a deck, with the new heat system u can use many glyphs then before, and all will just do the same deck, same build etc. The dynamic deck was also about calculate the probability and cd's of spells in your mind, the ability of stack etc. i'm just considering with that kind of system the personal skill of player will mean or count minus or in some case nothing.

5. devourerofmemes

devourerofmemes Avatar

@Wextel If you look at the tool tip of a fire skill with a dot you'll see the speed is now under 2 secs if you've leveled fire speed. That means the dot ticks more often, if you have fire speed at 100 I believe the dot will tick every 1.5 seconds rather than every 2.

2 - 1.5 = 0.5
    0.5/2 = 0.25

Your dots will be roughly doing about 25% more damage than they were prior to the change if you have fire reach gm'd. So if you want to maximize the fire reach damage increase you'll need to stack max dots on your target to see the highest dps increases from your new passive.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  6. Wextel

Wextel Avatar

Anyway just in case, the thing is not just about Death , but with the new heat system basically i can spam each time i want douse, dispell, roots, anyway chain spam each spell i want, Death make just it doable as spam due to how it work +tap soul.

About fire dots, i have it to 90 and i don't kill mob faster i just burn focus faster and i have no sustain, but i read something on bug forum about focus, anyway the new heat system+death is something that can't exist.

7. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

Its a known issue that Atos is slowly nerfing certain spects over time as to not slap down a death mage all at once. Last build they got a nerf, I am sure more are to come.

8. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Id like to see those death solo boss ;) im top death and i cant. I do it with sword.

9. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Did you use celestial blessing? Did you use magic res pot? Did you use flute of defiance? Did you use shield of air? Many ways to shut down a death mage.

Most bosses are so resistant to death, its pointless. Like devil said, he uses a sword. I use a bow. I have some crazy death magic, and it does not even come close to what my bow can do to a boss. Sorry but your wrong in thinking death is what is killing the bosses, it is physical killing bosses, at least was in r41, I don't know how things are now.

10. Wextel

Wextel Avatar

But are you just avoiding to focus the problem of chain spam an ability without restriction in combo with Death to defend your little land or you can figure out what kind of things can be done?

For sure as fire and life as i play i can just stop to do that, first cause that system just advantage glyph with low cost, i'm receiving report of melee say they are loving their damage and how focus is working good for them, they are telling they are doing 2 time the damage of before but nevermind. And also archer say focus is working better for them.

Now as idiot that wanted to play something different what i can say? if i do pvp any person with a douse in bar can just spam it and remove all my dots each time i cast anything, and he will not have problem of have an extra glyph in his deck cause with the new heat system the problem is solved, but ok, this will be just a useless discussion about something that is just more then evident, so think and say what you want, if you can't really figure out how this system can be used, is not for sure my problem, or better my problem still start and finish when i log in and out.

Anyway just to don't take myself as an example; Poison and CC and chain dispells; Debuff and chain dispells; chain roots on target or chain CC on target.

11. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

15 minute mark. (you also didn't mention that I said bows too). This is actually you lol! ;)

continue on 15 minutes later, everyone doing the Monkey room is notably death.

This is of course only one example, but the one I have actual video of.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/135846355

so, back to my point, Im actually ok with this as long as other class's gain the sustainability of death and bows.

the point obviously being that this game forces you into one or two class's to do end game content.

Wextel likes this.
  12. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I was trying to point this out at the very mention of this new heat system. Giving skills this kind of spamablity was bound to lead to this issue, I could see it from a mile away. The things that I mentioned are counters to death, and are the reason why the top pvper's are not using it to win the virtue league tournaments. Between the flute, magic res pot and celestial blessing, you pretty much negate the damage death deals, therefore pretty much negate the heals its doing. A level 1 blessing does 30% the flute does another 30%, and the pot was doing what, 50% I think. Now, I mention the shield of air because if that is up, they are dealing focus damage not health therefore, no healing is received. Ya, fire is great for pve, but being able to shut it down with one spell, it just does not cut it in pvp unless the person does not use douse, if they don't, you can **** them with fire.

I see many bow, sword, fire, earth users doing the money room. I see many sword users doing the bosses. I am sure, if the game had more bludgeon and polearm users, they would be able to do it too. I was often in krul, and have seen many of the people that frequent there. Many of them are not death like you are suggesting. As far as death mages doing bosses, can you name even one person killing the bosses with death?

13. Wextel

Wextel Avatar

The things is when you use a douse with a cd, or you take it unlocked and try the luck to have it at the proper moment, but just spamming douse sysyematically remove evrything is funny? You can faceroll

Bludgeon? My Brother play bludgeon the only thing he see is miss; Make a new character lock skills and try this: wear a sword and fight; Wear a mace and fight; and now do a game, find the difference in the log....<.<

Anyway i tried many duels i loose just alls, me Always without mana and other full, so now what i should do? give up and do a character like all the other with swords or archery or Death? No i think i will just decorate and wait...

14. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Sure, you switched over to bows (kitting and such) a month ago now in R41 when resists went up and people are throwing in hybrids now (aka, sword and bow). Are you still using life tap and death ray/touch for focus sustaining? How are you sustaining focus for a huge boss battle right now? I am aware bows in R41+ got the buff but I would ask you to actually post some videos where you are chain killing dragons and such now and what you are using to do it. Im also aware that in R41 death is not a sustainable as it used to be, but it still plays a part. The key is what is sustaining focus for an extended battle (its not the sword)?

Im also aware that with the heat on death right now its in the interest of people to continue to down play its PvE uberness and switch to different hybrid skills to try to prove that.

Im also aware that with your 150+ GM's you have far more options now to throw in there, able to switch to the uber skill of the month (swords and bows now?) (and you may have now found it devoid of death?), what about someone farming rooms like the rise at lvl 60 with death (probably not in R42 now lol since mobs heal themselves).

Wextel likes this.
  15. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I do have bludgeon skills, got ground pound, break armor, crushing blow, knockdown and all the passives gmed. I miss sometimes yes, but dex helps so I try and get a high dex to prevent all the missing. I have no had sword skills, so I cannot compare the 2.

I only use tap soul on the phoenix, I could just go passive stance for a bit and do it that way as well. No death rays or touches, only tap soul and death shield, and I could switch death shield for shield of ice and it would still be doable.

Harp of invigoration, focus blessing, dragon stew and either wolf or bear surprise. I can kill the dragon and still have about 100 focus left in my pool this way.

Deck setup for dragon. Def stance, death shield, douse, illumination, soothing rain, fireflies, inner str are all locked. 2 spots are 5 rapid fires for stacking, and one spot has 5 aimed shots, 2 blinding shots, 2 piercing shots one fortify def and one glancing blow. When I can play again, I can show you.

I would always play my most powerful thing I can do at the time, and that is not always death. Ravenswood I do fire because I can 5 stack ring of fire and walk away. Vs undead I like earth, fire and air. Now I can't say how things are going with heat right now, I was never for the heat system, I saw the spamability as being a problem before it was even implemented.

I don't think any level 60 would touch the rise, they are sure to die at level 60. Rogarh, at level85+, had an easier time using water magic on the mages then he did using death, rosen ritter uses water and air, vox and slain used earth mainly before they got into using death for it. It takes a ton of exp, the right gear, right skills to be able to use death well. Till you have the whole tree to at least 80, and have the right gear for it, death sucks for damage. Why do you think shim sold her lich ring long ago and stuck with earth, the death was crappy damage.

I don't have sword skills, I have bludgeon skills. Ground pound works awesome to kill the lich room in chillbanes, as well, all the cc effects helped mitigate damage from the lich fighters.

16. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

Sure, no Death Build is needed for soloing bosses

Vox Aquila likes this.
  17. Vox Aquila

Vox Aquila Avatar

wow what a memory you have sir, I would throw the buffs on and spam stone arrow and EQ. I also remember seeing Viper in the mage room with a 2-handed sword, healing grace, soothing rain, shield of ice and douse. He was rocking those fire mages!

18. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

BTW, I continue to keep an eye on death magic. It got a bit of a nerf last release. I knew the heat system would be such a huge wild card in player power that I decided just to work on its balance for this release instead of a specific build. As always, keeping an eye on things.

King Robert, Wextel, Chatele and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.