Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Web and Root, Missed opertunites

Discussion in 'Release 23 Feedback' started by fireflygirl, Nov 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fireflygirl

fireflygirl Avatar

I was fighting a bunch of spiders today and was getting webbed a lot and that gave me an idea on how to make effects like web and root more interesting. I remember form my AD&D 2e days we could attack spider webs to clear them out or if you were more dangerous you could use fire to burn them away, but you would take damage if you were stuck in them.

I think it would improve game play if we changed slightly how web, root and some other crowed control worked it would make the game feel more real. First we would need to increase the time of these effects, if we are going to allow counters to these effects they should last longer if you don't use the counters as a way of balancing the effect.

So I think the first thing that needs to happen is physical crowd control like root and web will need to have invisible hit points so if enough damage is done they are cancelled. This would allow for AOE attack(be it form weapons or spells) to damage them form the effected player or normal and AOE attacks directed at the player from friend or foe. The friendly attacks would have all of its damage directed at the root or web spell while only a small % of the damage form enemy attack would apply to the web or root. There could even be a small amount of friendly damage applied to the trapped player, mirroring the damage done by foes, but there may be greifing implications there.

On top this basic mechanic each crowd control could be weak and strong vs different types of attack. For example fire spells like immolate would instantly burn up all webs in its AOE, But would also do a small amount of damage to any players trapped in them, say 2-4 points. Roots being living wood would not burn very well so they would be resistant to fire damage, But cold and electrical damage would do more damage because its a living plant.

I'm not sure if this is in the game yet or not, but I also think being able to use jump to be able to get out of root or web would be another good tactic to get out. I would represent physically struggling against the restraints and the price to get free faster would be the stamina lose.

I hope you consider these ideas to make this sort of situation more dynamic and interesting to deal with.

Oba Evesor, redfish and Ancev like this.
  2. redfish

redfish Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.