Welcome New Players!

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Berek, Jun 9, 2016.

1. LeBeowulf

LeBeowulf Avatar

Oops! The Elven camp also has no Lot sign so I can't bind there!

2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

You can’t bind to adventure areas, only cities and towns.

You can however, log out in an adventure zone, if you are done playing for a while, and you will return to the adventure zone when you log back in.

Lesni likes this.
  3. LeBeowulf

LeBeowulf Avatar

Great info! Thanks for the heads-up :)

Jaesun likes this.
  4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

No problem. If you have any other questions ask away. The people here are always happy to help.

And feel free to add Anpu or Suti to your friends list and if I am on, id be happy to help you with any questions as well. :)

5. Agate LeBeowulf

Agate LeBeowulf Avatar

Greetings fellow adventurers! I'm back after buying the game within the Steam client & starting anew online. Looking forward to meeting a few of you ingame :)

Tanglewood and Jaesun like this.
  6. meryna

meryna Avatar

Hail and well met travellers!

:D

I just started playing Shroud in June and have been loving it alot! I guess I just now decided to dip my toe in the community pool and say hi~

7. Gjeerbe

Gjeerbe Avatar

Hi everyone! As a new player I believe all we will spend a lot of great time in the game and of course on that forum. :)

Jaesun likes this.
  8. phpalm78

phpalm78 Avatar

thanks for welcome...have played UO off and on since 1998...still playing it and enjoying it...looking forward to this one....

Tanglewood likes this.
  9. Agate LeBeowulf

Agate LeBeowulf Avatar

Welcome. Continue to have a great time!

10. Tensity Starker

Tensity Starker Avatar

O Hai! Just signed up, haven't played yet, and honestly, it'll probably be my young sons playing if anything (I'm more of a shooter type, a la Battlefield 2, but lately been killing my thumbs on a controller with Rocket League). So what am I going on about, then?

Well, I was going through my sciencey feeds when I saw an advert saying LORD BRITISH IS BACK! and I thought, "Hmm, I wonder . . ."

Well, whaddaya know, a new game from Lord British? Mebbe Starr is working back with him? YAZZZZZ!!!

Since I can't post in the Announcements forum where Starr put up his purdy little high school pic when he went, "SEE YA!" for his reunion weekend, I thought I'd do it here, and logically this is where I should first post anyhow because, well, Hello! First post!

To stop yapping and to get to the point, I'm a high school acquaintance of Starr's. The last time I heard about him/made contact was when I saw an article in Computer Gaming World magazine (RIP) discussing Tabula Rasa with Starr, back in the mid-late '00s, not too long before our 20th HS reunion (ACK!). Back in the day we hung out some via mutual friends, and I think I scared the crap out of him/almost killed him one time while giving him a ride to school in my mud brown, rusted Toyota Corona with super-bald tires. I know I scared the crap outta myself. Ah, good times.

Now here we are, just before the weekend of our 30th reunion (HOLY CRUD and DOUBLE ACK!), and by chance I have crossed digital paths with him again!

I just wanted to say hello to the community, and hello to you, Starr. Have a great reunion, man (I forgot about it and am too lazy to go). It's awesome to see someone from your past have such an interesting and prolific career in a field you're into, working with titans in the genre and related areas (effing Richard Garriott and Tracy Hickman and others!?! WHOA!).

Here's my own HS pic:

[​IMG]

[This is where you would see me oh so young, with my thick, lustrous hair like Starr's, but I'm thinking the linking thingie ain't quite working for me to show in-message (and I'm lazy and dubm). I think the whole three of you SotA party people who are interested (or drunk) can figure out how to see it, or it might just show up if I hit Post Reply instead of going on in verbose mode . . .]

Peace out, SotA community, and Peace and Fortune to you, Starr.

--Wade

P.S. edit: Narp, posting didn't show the pic, but right-clicking its butt to a new tab should satisfy all mah fans/voyeurs. Thanks to Kalpesh for sending me the pic oh so many years ago. Cheers!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    Tanglewood likes this.
  11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Just bind to a nearby town so you can continue on in the area you want to be in. Point at the name of the scene to see if it is an adventure scene, a player owned town, or an NPC town. And true you can't bind to an adventure scene.

12. Glaxidius Xenturion

Glaxidius Xenturion Avatar

13. Manxis

Manxis Guest

Hi,
    So I'm older than the dirt in the game thus much of this will make sense.
    I started with Lord British and the Ultima series on monochrome IBM PCs back in the 80's with Ultima 2. I still have the cloth map,
    Went through the entire series of stand alone games and then joined Ultima Online in the 90's whe it was run by Electronic Arts.
    I was a Companion (Marrik above is wearing my companion robe!) And I spent endless hours helping newbies in the newbie land get to know the game.
    Eventually I moved on to other stuff and yesterday noticed the message, "Lord British is alive!" on a webpage so here I am. Completely lost and no ME (Companion) around to guide me.

14. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Feel free to ask any questions! We are always happy to help.

15. Manxis

Manxis Guest

I think I've ascertained my "Adventurer Level" to be 19. Those in the know will know the term I've quoted.
    The Elves at Blood River Outskirts told me to go to Aerie a long while ago and told me to upgrade my weapon. I'm a mage and my weapon is a staff. They sent me to doesn't have Staves.
    So I snooped around town and found the last member of the order who referred me to the lady who sent me to Understorm mines.

Put simply, I've been grinding on the elves in the mine for experience at the cave entrance, just to build skill cause no way I'm surviving without an exit close by.
    Is it just me or did something send me out to Aerie too early?

16. Manxis

Manxis Guest

Well I've just spent a few hours trying to get back where I was in Blood River Outskirts.
    Now I couldn't find it, took another location and ended up on a quest that took me out to Highvale where the only way back now is through teir 5+ zones that are red to me.

This isn't maddeningly frustrating at all!

17. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hi there. That does sound frustrating. I'm out of town or I'd be happy to help you you get back. Another thing players can do if playing the multiplayer game is open up the looking for group and title your group something like "new player needs help to bloodriver outskirts".

Also we have zone chat which reaches anyone who has it turned on. You can have more than one chat window side by side by dragging one chat tab out and resize. Then under the blue gear uncheck the noise from one of them which is anything that is not a conversation from other players. Go to the Novia map and type in zone chat /zone to make it active chat type what you need or just say hi. I always encourage players to keep zone chat up for interaction with players or at least customize to not miss conversations and to pass the word to those who don't know.

The first icon in the upper right hand corner of your screen will show options. One of them will list nearby players. It only shows those players in multiplayer where as your friends list shows players that are in game playing solo or party mode too and you can whisper still to them just not see them. Good luck to you.

Ataniiq likes this.
  18. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Use the Lunar Rift. You can find a schedule of it here:

http://xi6.com/i/sotaclock.html

This will help you zip around and back to Blood River.

19. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Barugon likes this.
  20. Manxis

Manxis Guest

Majoria, Thank you.
    Those look like amazing, well targeted and fully explained suggestions that a newbie could easily follow. I had to make sure I acknowledge that. Last night was an adventure to say the least!

I had waited a while in the world map hoping someone would respond or find me but no one did. 3 people sent me friend requests but I didn't know how to use the chat properly and it took me a while to figure out how to bring up that friend list so I could try double clicking their names. I typed, "Hello" and got no reply. <Shrug>
    I then got the idea of using one of the portal or recall scrolls! My portal wanted me to target another player and they were all much farther away and would only make matters worse! My recall scrolls I had hope for because not only were home made recall spell books how I made my fortune in UO but I didn't know anything about binding (still don't despite reading about it in the help), I had never done it so I had hop that I was bound to my starting area. DAMN my recalls I put in the bank in Aerie. So I tried to get to a bank. 2 towns were under siege. I almost died trying to get to the bank in Resolute. So I chilled till the the tons were open. That's when I was reminded how banks used to work in old UO.. I put the scrolls in the AERIE bank. No way I was getting them till I could get back to THAT bank and that left me right back where I started.
    So I decided to make a death run through one of the tier 5 red zones. I went in and an NPC called out to me saying they could help me get through! I thought.. OMG.. some GM is watching over me! Then I talked to them and discovered they wanted 1500 gold. I only have 1800 so screw that, Id rather die . So I started running and healing along the way.
    I got to the other side. 50% health, mana almost gone, wolves, a bear and a GIANT on my heals. I knew the giant was still back there cause the trees kept being shoved to the side as I ran!
    YAY! I finally made it to the other side!
    So a world map bandit jumps me and yup, it took 3 shots that happened before I could cast 2 heals on myself and with that I was once again reminded of how Ankh monuments were used in old UO!
    I'm STILL not back to were I started but I understand the world map much better now which was the start of my troubles. I'm working through it.

Jaeson!!! Oh My Goodness! Thanks for that about the moongates! I pulled up your page link and the memory of them from UO smacked me right in the face!
    Sadly, I was trapped in the south shattered hills piece of land. I could have been standing directly next to an in-game moon gate and I wouldn't have had a foggy clue. I don't know what they look like.

Jaesun likes this.