Welcome New Players!

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Berek, Jun 9, 2016.

1. sharpiejas

sharpiejas Avatar

just started to play this weekend but I am not seeing a lot of other players. Have attempted to role play with a few I have seen but not got very far. I am looking to drop in on a player run event this week. Any with London evening times?

Stundorn, Berek and Time Lord like this.
  2. rpgmaniac82

rpgmaniac82 Avatar

Thank you berek very useful indeed:D!

Time Lord likes this.
  3. smougie

smougie Avatar

Hello to everyone :)

I'm new in SotA world, I played few years ultima online and now I tried SotA on Trial and I decided to buy game :)
    You've got awesome community, thats really rare nowadays.

See you in game!

Time Lord, Kabalyero and majoria70 like this.
  4. akm-

akm- Avatar

Hello everyone,

I dropped in for the free trial over the past few days; I was listening to the audiobook Explore/Create and got very curious about this and lucky the moment I created an account there was a free trial going on!

Here comes a possibly too-long post about myself.

I've enjoyed the Ultima series since I started playing them in 1998. Ultima 4 was on a demo CD I got with an issue of some forgotten PC Game magazine and even though I was immediately struck by how ugly it was I pushed on (not reading the manual, being 11). The underlying systemic and peripheral fictional world detail that is the spiritual key to an Ultima game sucked me in and now I can't stop caring about Ultima (Garriott) games no matter how hard I try.

I was then obsessed with Ultima Online for three years and would email customer support every week with questions like 'Can you have babies? Can you ride dragons? Can you make swords?'. Eventually I got UO in 2002, played on free shards for a few years and learned to never touch an MMORPG again. That's the reason it's taken me this long to look at SOTA -- I have work to do and a life to live and relationships and dogs to keep alive and now that I'm 30 I can't get by on 4 hours sleep a night!

Anyway here I am. I just bought early access and I fear for my well-being. Also I'm a (web/game) developer and couldn't be more excited about the idea of eventually, at some point, in some small way (any way at all), contributing to a Lord British game.

Numa, Sir_Michael, Time Lord and 5 others like this.
  5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome akm. Oh I know what you mean about the 4 hours of sleep. I never do that, just kidding. ;) I have a friend in this game and we are always teasing about zombieland. So happy you joined us:)

Edited

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    Time Lord and akm- like this.
  6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome smougie. And truly this is a fantastic community. And anyone please keep me in mind if you have questions or need anything. I'm Majoria in game. ;). I was a huge fan of uo during 2000 ish time frame. I played on pacific shard. I'd say it really changed me a lot and gave me a safe space to explore my inner being. Lol oops well if you know what I mean, but it's a little deep ;)

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Gallanthur

Gallanthur Avatar

Hi, I am new trying this free trial. It has my interest. Just getting my feet wet with crafting. Fishing has caused me countless agony. I had no utility hot bar. Then after extensive help and the forums I got the bar and can now fish. I think with nearly 50 in fishing I've caught every thing but a salmon :( Now, I have no exp with agriculture. Can't train it. So searching for an answer :).
    Gallanthur Einzgott

majoria70, Berek and Time Lord like this.
  8. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Greetings and salutations Gallanthur! Indeed, we have some work to do yet on fishing :). Glad you found help here in the forums!

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

At this time it is not necessary to train agriculture, it will work without.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Add me to your Friendlist please ;)

Berek and Time Lord like this.
  11. Garvey

Garvey Avatar

Hi Guys n Gals,

Longtim UO player .... wa sintroduced to this game by "Warlorz" his mirc nick - played a few days of free access, met a character online while i was totally lost and therir friendliness and willingness to help me actually made me buy the game - so here i am - Necromancer building - joined <Chaos>Guild - a few days ingame now and loving it - only bugbear is transition between maps seems to take forever - but WOW what an awesome game - loving it....AKA - "Salvia Divinorom"

Numa, Sir_Michael, Time Lord and 4 others like this.
  12. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Welcome Garvey! We just released R42, check it out! Also, dance party celebration and some other events going on throughout the weekend:

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=35475

Numa, Sir_Michael and Time Lord like this.
  13. PlayerKiller

PlayerKiller Avatar

excellent news

Time Lord and Berek like this.
  14. Serena Strangelove

Serena Strangelove Avatar

Hey hey, welcome to Shroud, Garvey!

Time Lord and Berek like this.
  15. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome to Shroud Garvey. I am so happy you are having fun. I am Majoria in game if I can ever help ;)

claybwagner, Time Lord and Berek like this.
  16. Mirzal2016

Mirzal2016 Avatar

Hi everyone..
    This is the game that I've been waiting for in a long time since I played all the Ultima universe previously. I have been watching Youtube videos made by Elaine Strongbow and Markee Dragon. I love Elaine Strongbow new player video guide, the best videos for new player. :). I have been keeping a close eyes for SOTA and finally since I can't wait for the full release, I just bought the game early access.

Have been playing the game since the last 3 days. The game's quality is the best including the graphics. Although the games for a new player a bit complex, but I am getting there..

Now I have to say the bad part not to complain but hoping it will be vastly improved in the final release since it's not fair to complain this games when it's just an early access..

1) This games is TOTALLY not new player friendly. I follow the first mission starting from Highvale going to Resolute then into Harvest to get to Valhold via Estgard, all following the mission. All this is just hoping to get gain much needed gold and exp. I know people will say, I need to train and train more, and use the skull as guide. But I am following the MISSION hoping it will guide new player getting use into the game. The main problem for me is, I keep on dying and dying. One of the problem is that, to follow the mission, eg. to go to Resolute to Harvest, I have to pass thru the mountain pass. This mountain pass are full of enemies, and not a level for new players. There is a fast forward NPC like in Superstition Canyon that offer to just teleport to the exit, but the cost is way way to expensive to a new player, and if you just follow the mission and not doing side things, your gold are not much. (I really hope this game forces people to buy COTA to get plenty of gold just to survive). I hope there's a teleport hings to pass these mountain passes for new player or low level player.

2) The spawn rate of the NPC is very very close, good maybe to farm exp, but also good to keep on dying over and over. Mind you even for a 1 skull area, new player like me always die, and this is very very frustrating.

3) The maps are littered with POTs which are empty and very tedious to explore, and the exit point is not shown anywhere in the MAP. Some have like an arch, carriages or a boat to go back to the world map, which I finally find out how rather than just hitting the 'blue' area in the MAP. I hope the ENTRY/EXIT is easily identifiable, marked and become a standard in all towns, be it NPC or POTs.

4) The village crier sometimes spawn way away from the entry area, so have to go search for him via the compass, mind you for me a new player, very important to visit the village crier in every town to get the 100 gold.

I really apologise by doing this, I really love this game and will definitely keep it if new player experience is vastly improved. I love doing the mission just to ensure I have something to do in the game and something to look forward to. Since I am a solo player at the moment, that's causes lots of problems for me. Maybe if I am a guild members, somebody will give a hand, rather than I just shout in the "zone chat".

Numa, claybwagner, Hornpipe and 3 others like this.
  17. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome @Mirzal2016. Thank you for sharing your experiences. Don't worry this game needs feedback to improve new player experience, not just new player experience but every players experience. I am Majoria in game if I can ever help please send me a whisper. *Cheers*

Time Lord and Luca Xante like this.
  18. Luca Xante

Luca Xante Avatar

19. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Just a quick hello here as I have left a lengthier post in the new player feedback section. Only just started playing but enjoying it so far despite various frustrations !

I played UO on Europa from 2000 to 2009 and various other games since. Am hoping that SOTA ends up fullfilling its potential....

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Just to quickly add that I am truly amazed at the level of friendly advice and practical help that is offered on this forum . Have not seen anything like it since the glory days of UO.

fakhart and Time Lord like this.