Welcome New Players!

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Berek, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Poldera

Poldera Avatar

Trying to be a new player I loaded the game on to my computer. I loads up to about 98% and my computer shuts down completely. No blue screen of death just off. I have the newest Direct X I have the newest drivers for my vid card. I'm really just stumped by this happening I play other games just fine. I also got as far as seeing a glimpse of the newbie area but it was only a flash. Anyone have any clues?

2. HispanoHDGames

HispanoHDGames Avatar

Buenos días a todos. Me uno a la comunidad a ver si aprendo algo, jajajaja.

He editado ya dos veces el mensaje y no se por qué, se cambian las palabras de lo que pongo.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

WElcome Poldera also and @Mboo . Thank you Mboo so much for your feedback. This is perfect feedback and it is a game in development still but the core is here and your feedback really helps. There is a lot more to the game than at first meets the eye imo but it truly depends on individual players opinions. I would be very happy to meet up show some things I've found to really enjoy. So please add Majoria in game. Every time you add a player to the game you add you your teleport contacts as well since that is our main fast travel. Also it lets you know who is on the game and where. I advise players to send a hello on the the Novia map and you can see who is there by clicking on the little stained glass window and selecting nearby players. Remember the players you see there could be are only some players playing the game. There maybe players in party mode or different instances.

Also as a recommendation to all new players, drag an extra chat window out for whispers, local, zone etc as your chat window and take those out of your combat window by unclicking them. This helps you to not miss communications from other players. You can resize the windows and put them where you want them.

We have other things to do while for me I'm saving quests because as you say they still need work. I do a few side quests here and there Like we have a really cute witches quest and petunia the horse is another quest I really enjoyed a lot. I feel that the story improvements are still in the works imo but there are plenty of other things to do and plenty of other players to do them with once you get a good sized friends list. I accept all friend requests but if you worry just say 'do you mind if I add you to my friends list'. We all know that is atm our fast travel. Feel free to whisper me anytime with questions. I can also trade recipes with you that our tradeable and tradeable emotes.

We have a very awesome music system in the game. You can sync songs with others. I just love it and we so far have a lot of instruments.

No need to worry about housing at the moment. Many rooms offered free to help out. I actually have an Inn and having a room in many Inns come with amenities like use of commission free vendors, planting, and much more.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?forums/rental-services-free-places-to-live.1067/

4. tableclown

tableclown Avatar

Add me ad a friend in-game. I need/want more friends for more teleports! Thank you in advance!

IGN: Raserei

Ravenscar and majoria70 like this.
  5. Crazyi

Crazyi Avatar

I am certainly VERY interested in playing the game because I was a huge UO fan. I have greatly enjoyed the exploratory style questing, zones, and in general it feels very open. The oldschool and more hardcore feel I greatly appreciate. The skill tree looks fantastic and I look forward to playing with it, but I have a complaint about the exp pool I will get to shortly. Obviously the questing needs some polish because its a little frustrating with the bugs, but I am still certainly enjoying it. Most of the smaller things I am fairly sure you are aware of, so I will skip to my main complaint.

I really dislike the idea of the experience pool. I assume it was put in place to prevent macroing? Otherwise I don't really understand its function. Skills should go up when used like they did in UO. A main difference between UO and this, is in UO you couldn't do anything productive in combat until you macro'd a fair bit. In this game, I had a lot of fun just running around exploring and fighting. You can actually beat a wolf when you make a character :). In UO the journey to GM was not very fun, and in this game it really is. From 100 hours in, I seem to be getting to the end of my questing and that terrifies me in terms of exp. I feel there is not enough experience to just explore and kill. I even started on 2x exp which is painful to think about because I already felt hamstringed trying to progress.

I would really like to play with this massive system but I feel compelled to stick with what I started with. I have seen a lot of things that suggest you should net gain with your exp pool, otherwise it is difficult to level skills at higher levels. I always seem to be losing net exp until I can get a quest done. I have stuck to one melee, one armor, two magics, and the stats at the bottom. I still have had to turn off skill gain on most of the abilities I actively use, much less think about mixing in other stuff. It just seems bizarre. I just recently finished the 3 virtue quests, and assume I am on the final round of quests (but hope not, and I'm sure I can find a few I missed).

Then to top it off, skill degrade?! I strongly dislike this considering I already feel limited in what I can level up. I am fine with a penalty for death, but I don't think skill loss is the answer.

I see the potential in this game and obviously if things get polished I will remain for a long time, and bring many with me. I really feel the exp pool clashes with the beauty of the skill trees, and the fun one could have with it.

@DarkStarr @Berek

Ravenscar likes this.
  6. Old Hickory

Old Hickory Avatar

Hail and Well met new player just starting out!

Ravenscar likes this.
  7. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Greetings and salutations @Belgarath71!

8. Lyrilie

Lyrilie Avatar

Hi everyone, I just started playing last night on a free trial. I am really enjoying the game and I am definitely going to have to buy it and check out the player housing. I really hope to meet new people playing the game, and eventually have an awesome in game home!

Ravenscar, Luca Xante and Viadd Cabon like this.
  9. Viadd Cabon

Viadd Cabon Avatar

Hello Everyone,

New player to SOTA, but like many of you I have been playing MMO’s since Ultima and a few muds before that.

Really enjoying what I’ve seen and done so far, so much so I bought the game after about 5 hours play. I’ve not had this much fun in an MMO since DAOC or EVE.

Hopefully see some of you in game.

Ravenscar likes this.
  10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome @tableclown . Yes I'll certainly add you. *cheers*

11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome @Lyrilie also to the game. Oh I am happy you are enjoying the game. I look forward to seeing you in the game too. :)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  12. Warthawg

Warthawg Avatar

Hi All. New Player. Character in Game is Brian Boru. Used that name in UO long ago. UO got me into MMOs, so now I am here. I'll be upgrading from Visitor as soon as I can.

Ravenscar likes this.
  13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome @Warthawg to Sota. Happy journeys to you in the game. If I can help I'm Majoria in the game.

14. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

This game picked up since launch. I have been adding people to my friends list for days and they just keep coming!

Welcome all!!!

15. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hail @Old Hickory. Welcome to Sota. and as mentioned I'm Majoria in game if I can help.

16. Nellie

Nellie Avatar

Hi. I bit confused about what I need to do before being able to reply to other posts in other forums here.

majoria70 likes this.
  17. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

As far as I know you should be able to reply, just click on the quote to reply to someone or create your own post also by typing in the blank space here. Welcome to Sota and I am Majoria in game if I can ever help. :)

18. Talon DuCouteau

Talon DuCouteau Avatar

Hi all. I´m also new to the game, started 2 weeks ago. Try´d alot off MMORPG`s the last years and i can´t remember the last time i´ve got hooked that much from a game . Really enjoying my time.

I´ve always been into assasin-types of characters, so i´m working on my blade, tactics,subterfuge and light armor skills. Moon Magic also seems interesting, but quite not sure how much i will invest into that.

If someone has some suggestions on what armor and daggers to use, i would appreciate it. The bone armor set and the hardened leather pieces look interesting, so i´m saving my gold atm to maybe buy one of these.

My ingame name is Talon DuCouteau, feel free to add me and hopefully i see some of you ingame.

majoria70 likes this.
  19. Qvothe Raven

Qvothe Raven Avatar

20. redfoot88

redfoot88 Avatar

Hail,
    I have been roaming around game since the dark days of R11. I have been in and out as life allots but still feel wonder struck by how vast the shroud has become. My IGN is Joliet Jake and look forward to seeing many of you on the other side of the gate.

1. If you had to place yourself on a scale of interest in this game at this time (between 1 and 100), where would you say is your interest right now? 80
    2. Can you give a short list of specific things that aren't here that you'd like to see? Finding groups to adventure with from in game seems difficult
    3. Can you speak a little about WHY you want these things? Game has lots of content but finding adventuring groups to delve into deeper areas doesn't seem intuitive
    4. Is it safe to assume that the things you speak of in #3, if present, would raise your score? Likely
    5. If so, by how much? 10-20%
    6. If we're still not at 100%, can you tell us what else is either missing, or you haven't heard enough about to decide if/how it interests you? Maybe a separate window pop up for when someone whispers you directly. I am not crazy about speech bubbles but whispers often get lost in the high volume buzz of a city or combat.
    7. If you could make ONE suggestion for ONE specific change that is NOT world changing, what would it be and why would you choose it over any other thing? An in game message board for finding groups
    8. Finally, if you could ask ONE question and known you would get a direct response that would not end until you explicitly stated your understanding of it, what would you ask? Is there a simpler way to find what lots are available in game than going from town to town?

Thanks all, and a big thank you to all the folks at Portalarium.

Ravenscar likes this.