what are peoples thoughts on the the idea of a salvage skill?

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Drealm2459, May 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drealm2459

Drealm2459 Avatar

If you can make something you can UN-make it. So I really hoping to see a salvaging skill. The ability to take useless items made of wood, metal, stone ect. and get some raw mats from them. There should be a % loss of mats based on your skill lev. but I really think in primitive place people would use and re-use everything as often as they could, as getting new mats would be hard at best.Also this world we are to be in is one coming back from a world shattering disaster, this would be a place where nothing would be wasted. higher lev salvager would be able to salvage magic items maybe getting a mat that could add a magic effect to a new item. In game Examp: You go into a town your shield has a large crack running 50% to the center. The smith takes one look and says. ? iv?e been crafting shields for 20 years.. I have a great deal of skill that shield is ruined.? I will give you 5 gold for it to put forward for the new shields I have here.? you do the deal and are happy. But this smith would take this ruined Item melt it down and reuse as much of it as he could.. He isn?t going give you 5 gold and then walk out the trash dump and toss it. This is what every game I have played says happens tho. From a player point of view savaging would save some On grinding. If you have made 50 short swords to raise your blacksmithing skill why not savage them to make something else? Why should you have to go out and mine all new ore and make all new ingots. You should be able to use some % new and a % old mats. to craft new items. what do everyone else think??

LordSheep likes this.
  2. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Depends how much junk items we have.
    It sounds like they don't want UO style where we make hundreds of worthless items to get our skills up.
    But the salvage skill would fix that.

3. Drealm2459

Drealm2459 Avatar

Salvage skill has value weather you have to grind 300 items to raise skill or not. If they have durability where items can break. (which has been suggested they will) or you get items you cant sell or drops you can't use. It would make any and all "junk" useful in some way and also fit right in w/ the type of world they are making. I mean how cool would it be to salvage "grey" Items. With salvage skill in place you go from going crud a grey drop to COOL! mats!..

4. Owain

Owain Avatar

I have a salvage skill in real life. I sell stuff I want salvaged. I expect I'll do the same in SotA, but then I don't plan on doing any crafting. For folks who plan on going into crafting, I can see how that would be useful. I'll sell you my stuff.

5. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I don't know that it need to be a skill at all.

At worst if you can make chain mail. you should be able to salvage it.

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

7. TroubleMagnet

TroubleMagnet Avatar

Letting the skill used to make the item be the one that can salvage it has worked well in other games and makes sense to me. You can get a lot more useful, undamaged parts out of a machine the more you know about how it goes together. Depending on how the skills are set up you could have better salvaging be an optional specialty or sub-skill. Maybe if you really like salvaging you can go a little bit into all the crafting skills and max out the sub-skill to be able to break down anything really well? More detail is needed, would be a good dev chat question.

8. Lashat

Lashat Avatar

If "salvage" is an attribute of the primary skill used to make the item does that make complete sense. A smith should be able to get a decent amount of metal from ANY item with metal in it's raw material bill. Wood would be a little more difficult to combine smaller amounts into a larger raw material, unless New Britannia is going to have the high strength glue to craft OSB.

Perhaps something a little less strict would benefit the game. Even an Ogre could salvage, but since he lacks any craft skill he only gets 0-10% chance at getting any raw material. A skilled craftsperson of *any specific type* would get a better 10-35% chance. If a skilled craftsperson of the type (or closely related type) involved in creating the item attempts to salvage it, they have a 35-60% chance to obtain raw materials.

Then there the non-salvageable items. It's pretty hard to obtain flour from bread once you bake it, but you might be able to get some yeast.

9. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Yea I could see after messing up many times trying to create an exceptional platemail suit of valorite how one might want to salvage some of that to try again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.