What craft skills do you want to see?

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Jack Knyfe, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

Personally, I'd like to see the following:

Smithing - the creation of items made of metal.

Tailoring - the creation of items made from cloth or leather.

Mining - the gathering of ores and gemstones.

Gemcraft - the creation of items from gemstones.

Woodworking - the creation of items made from wood.

Carpentry - the creation of home furnishings and other items.

Cooking - the creation of food from raw ingredients.

Farming - the cultivation of plants and animals.

Montaigne likes this.
  2. A_Ridable_Llama

A_Ridable_Llama Avatar

If you have woodworking and carpentry, then you have to have lumberjacking. Also without lumberjacking how will the swordsmen get their str up?

Stile likes this.
  3. mushimu

mushimu Avatar

Crafting Skills
    Armor Smith
    Weapon Smith
    Fletching
    Tailoring
    Leather Working
    Gemcraft/Jewel Craft
    Enchanting
    Cooking
    Alchemy

Gathering Skills
    Mining
    Skinning
    Logging
    Wild plant Gathering
    Farming (I like this idea, grow food, Animals for leather or Plants for Cloth.)

Stile likes this.
  4. KerMegan

KerMegan Avatar

It might help the (ambiance? immersion?) if there were some way to customize your rig; dyeing or embroidering clothes/bags; engraving on metal items. Perhaps adding jewels or colored enamel to almost any object; makes it more recognizable, more valued. (More traceable if stolen!)
    Just a thought; most of this would likely be available in city/towns; to the upper class or Luxury levels.
    looking forward to more info.
    KM

5. lsommerer

lsommerer Avatar

More than certain specific crafting skills, I would like to see a robust, well-thought-out, generalized crafting/gathering framework created right from the start.

I'm always disappointed when there are lots of crafting skills in a game and only 2 of them are really interesting or economically viable.

Spend some more time thinking about crafting in general and less time on how cooking is different from smithing is different from sewing. Sure, there will be implementation differences between each of these, but they should all be based on a reasonable super-set of ideas.

It would be great to start out with many well thought out options for people who enjoy crafting, but it that isn't feasible (and it has never been yet) then it would be better to start out with a great crafting framework and a few example skills with the ability to add more in the future.

licemeat likes this.
  6. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

I've been playing A Tale in the Desert lately and I'm really impressed with their skills and crafting. While the ability to attempt something is easily purchased, the execution of it takes real skill and practice. For example, blacksmithing requires shaping a malleable block into a finished product by controlling the force of your 1 of 4 chosen tools. It takes skill, practice and a certain knack to create high quality items. Foraging - a skill I though was sorely lacking in UO - means knowing how to recognize and harvest over a hundred different herbs, mixed in among the 300+ plants scattered across the land.

Skills can be so much more than mindlessly repeating the same actions over and over. Grinding is soul-crushing. Although I played UO for almost 12 years I never maxed out a skill. I just couldn't bear building chairs and bookcases only to toss them in a trashcan.

Skills need to be based on real skill, not real obsessive/compulsive behavior.
    mw

fenix likes this.
  7. Oin32

Oin32 Avatar

The part of uo that I sorely miss is the detail to gathering multiple items in order to crafty. For example, to make an arrow you had to chop a tree then get some feathered then whittle the wood and finally fetch it. Using multiple skills or knowledges just to make your ammo. That sort of immersion is what I wouldv like to see.

8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I do so appreciate a well thought out crafting system with some interaction between skills. Mine, smelt, forge. That was my gig in UO.. though mostly mining and selling ingots.

I would love to see a diverse system with many skills and options but as was said those options need to be viable to be worth while.

Personally, if it can be carried, placed, driven, worn, used or broken then I'd love to be able to craft it.

9. monxter

monxter Avatar

I would like to see beer brewing / distillery, creating various different beers, spirits and wines. Even more awesome would be having my own distillery in my house and creating my own beer labels too.

10. LordSunrise

LordSunrise Avatar

Crafting
    Alchemy - Mix potions
    Glassblowing - Make flasts, bottles, lanterns etc usually for potions
    Item Identification - Ability to reconise and identify an item
    Blacksmithy - Craft metal into objects
    Bowcraft & Fletching - Makes bows out of woods
    Carpentry - Makes items out of wood
    Masonry - Makes items out of stone
    Cartography - Maps the area
    Cooking - Overall ability to cook
    Baking - Bakes food such as bread, cakes etc
    Roastion - Roast meat etc
    Imbuing - Add item properties (ok don't really want this but w/e)
    Inscription - Write scrolls, engrave jewlery
    Tailoring - Make items out of leather / animal hides
    Tinkering - Makes parts of traps, tinker toys, clockwork etc
    Rune Crafting - Make runes / recall stones
    Farming - Grow herbs and some reagents
    Reaping - Ability to get reapable crops back once planted
    Plant Knowledge - Able to identify plants / herbs
    Planting - Ability to germenate a seed
    Harvesting - Ability to get harvestable crops back once planted

Resource Gathering
    Fishing - Catch fish
    Lumberjacking - Chop trees
    Mining - Mine rocks / ores
    Hunting - Gather resources from huntable animales. Eg: rabbits food, vension, hides etc

Creatures
    Animal Lore - Animal knowledge
    Animal Taming - Animal taming / pets
    Herding - Animal control
    Veterinary - Animal treatment

11. trollunge

trollunge Avatar

Alchemy as long as it does something other then making buffs and heals.

in UO one thing that always saddend me was that explosive potions weren't really fleshed out,

Making various sorts of "grenades" instead of being a caster would be great.

But beyond that I want there to be more to do with crafting then just making and opening a shop....I'd love to see trade routes and the ability to become a trader going from city to city

wagram, licemeat and Bugos like this.
  12. BK_

BK_ Avatar

Many.

13. slamelov

slamelov Avatar

I would really like a great economic system based on crafting.

14. DeRoy

DeRoy Avatar

Bee husbandry.

Montaigne and Bugos like this.
  15. Fenway

Fenway Avatar

Masonry.

licemeat likes this.
  16. Anuuk

Anuuk Avatar

I'd say mine but it would look like I totally copied Lord Sunrise, so I'll just say "Awesome List you got there).. I agree with everything he/she said.

And also please make the crafting system deep enough so everyone crafting doesn't craft the same exact items. Why would anyone want to buy my armor if everyone is crafting the same quality, density, type and look? Don't so much make the outcome random but allow there to be some type of variable within the crafting process that has huge variety on what the outcome will be.

/my 2 coppers

17. Anuuk

Anuuk Avatar

Okay, I can't figure out how to edit my previous post, but I did think of a few that I didn't see listed..

Lock Smithing (making / copying of keys and crafting locks (part of tinkering))

Architect (instead of buying a house deed, then build the house from scratch)

Boat Building (various types of small to medium boats either sail powered or with oars)

Cart Building (Self explanatory)

Unsure what its called but crafting fishing poles and lures

Siege Weapon crafting (unsure if there's a demand for this)

Candle crafting (part of wax crafting / bee keeping?)

Torch crafting

Tent Crafting?

Rope crafting

If Pack Animals then the packs (Part of Leatherworking?)

Also would like to grow my own pipe tobacco.. so however that can be added..

18. redfish

redfish Avatar

As mentioned in the wish list sticky, my ideal is every item in the game should be craftable, not only usable.

Also, that there be at least one NPC crafter in the world for each type of craft. Notice that there are always hundreds of books in RPGs but no bookbinders anywhere?

Here's a list of some craft trades, although in game terms some of these might be grouped under a more general skill title.

Beekeeping
    Chandlery (candlemaking and soapmaking)
    Bookbinding and parchmenting
    Brewing, winemaking, and distilling
    Masonry and thatchery (making thatch roofs)
    Goldsmithing and silversmithing
    Net making and rope making
    Pottery and tile-making
    Embroiderery, engraving, illuminating
    Ploughwrightery and cartwrightery

19. steelmax73

steelmax73 Avatar

Luthiers to create musical instruments

Bugos likes this.
  20. monxter

monxter Avatar

I still want my distillation, brewing and fermentation. I want to distill my spirits, brew beer and make wine too. Of course each one of these require different equipment and ingredients.

At some point I would go pro and buy my own distillation equipment, a wine press, and set up a brewery.. If I couldn't have a full size still, I could maybe use an alembic to produce smaller amounts of distilled spirits..

"There are several steps in the brewing process, which include malting, milling, mashing, lautering, boiling, fermenting, conditioning, filtering, and packaging. There are three main fermentation methods, warm, cool and wild or spontaneous. Fermentation may take place in open or closed vessels. There may be a secondary fermentation that can take place in the brewery, in the cask, or in the bottle."

"The basic ingredients of beer are water; a starch source, such as malted barley, which is able to be fermented (converted into alcohol); a brewer's yeast to produce the fermentation; and a flavouring, such as hops. A secondary starch source may be used, such as maize, rice or sugar."

Spartans! what is your profession?!
    - mine is brewing...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.