What do you love most about SotA?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Liz, Dec 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liz

Liz Avatar

Lets make a list whats great about SotA. We have many threads about what needs to be better, but what should stay the same? What is already great for you? What should the Devs definitely not change?

What are the things that keep you playing?
    What is it you tell others when you try to convince them to play it?
    What is SotA doing better than other RPGs in your opinion?

fonsvitae, matpsch, majoria70 and 3 others like this.
  2. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I like the Art Style and atmosphere of some Dungeons.
    I like housing, although it's exepensive and the possibilities to decorate and use your own home.
    I like growing plants and cooking buff food.
    I like the lore to what i have seen until now. I like the possibilities of PoT although i couldn't find a PoT owner who Setup a roleplay only themed town that
    would fit good to my character.
    If i had one for myself it would be more themed and with restrictions due to roleplay and theme.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  3. Alexandra Cornfellow

Alexandra Cornfellow Avatar

Folks I meet in game.
    Crafting (currently fishing, growing, and cooking).
    Community participation of the developers.
    Personally, I like the way the XP distribution and skill advancement is taking shape.

I'm keeping several informed of the development progress. A couple of them are (hopefully) on the verge of signing up.

Realism. They are not over doing it with artificial constructs to make Novia life easier than it should be.
    Player community more mature than most.

4. ship2

ship2 Avatar

I like the housing
    I like the level of difficulty
    I really appreciate and love the ability to switch to single player online when there is congestion for hunting areas
    I like how groups do much better with class diversity. I hope this is developed more. It makes you feel valued in a hunting group.
    I really love the community and player interaction. This above all will keep me here long term.

fonsvitae, FrostII, majoria70 and 3 others like this.
  5. ship2

ship2 Avatar

and YES the art!

FrostII, majoria70, Bow Vale and 2 others like this.
  6. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

I like the combat bar, think its the best i ever used tbh. No two combat bars the same in the game, 10 slots rotating with stacking and combos means its always different but always predictable to what you can get and do with them. Initially i thought that this might hamper combat, having to look at all the time, but i have mine set up so i know what's where, but i only need a cursory glance at the most.

The graphics/world/environment/lighting - i hear complaints over the graphics, but i run on best settings and cant fathom out why anyone doesn't love them like me.

The way the devs/game doesn't tell you much, but leave's you to find or produce the gems yourself.

Emote/animations - excellent.

The music especially the opening launcher music that i sometimes leave just on by itself!

Housing & POT's - The best game to attempt to give players a unique housing experience and towns they can fill with friends.

The monthly updates are exciting and they do very well packing so much stuff in. This next one isn't that big, but trying it out on QA shows they may have the performance issues much improved and will make the game a lot more attractive to players. And Ardoris looks great!

Always having something to do, I'm rarely bored in game, but that's possibly due to setting myself quests/tasks in order to accomplish something.

The community is great and will expand slowly but by adding players who appreciate the game and sticking with it. My friends list is constantly 30-40% online players and that's good figures for any game in truth. If you like the game you play it, it seems to me.

7. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

That I love the community goes without saying.

The thing I love the most and that makes me feel comfortable with the game itself is the art style. I know a lot of folks claim that the graphics are outdated, but everything looks great to me. I hate the art in many other games (e.g. Final Fantasy franchise) and wouldn't even install them for that reason.

I love the music when I'm in the mood to hear it. Usually I have the background music turned down (or off), so when I do turn it on it is when I'm in the mood for it and I really enjoy the good quality of the pieces.

I love POTs and the way they give players a means to create beautiful areas in the game.

I love having a place of my own to call home in the lovely town of Rift's End. I am lucky to own property. But even if I didn't, in future it will be possible to rent a room, and that would be almost as good as having my tiny, cozy one-room house.

I love playing the game while it is developing. I'm not happy with all the changes, but the journey has been interesting, to say the least :)

8. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Sitting my character in a chair on my roof, pondering this world in which we find ourselves... thinking about kites, boats, whether my vendor is still at the property and not out drinking at the local tavern again (Elads lighthouse), and many other things the forums ponder my mind.

Tamsen, Lord Ravnos, FrostII and 5 others like this.
  9. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

*sarcasm on*

- The amazing Quests and interesting unique adventure zones
    - The awesome skill system without an levelsystem or something like XP, no grind needed at all!
    - The awesome loottables on pretty much anything (chests, monsters, crates)
    - The crafting/gathering system, you almost do not need to grind at all!
    - The amazing mob/npc variation, i almost never see the same mobs/npcs!!

*sarcasm off*

Kaisa, Dantuin, cartodude and 2 others like this.
  10. Thadeus Crook

Thadeus Crook Avatar

I really like my guild and all of the sweet people of the community!

11. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

I am really digging the RP aspect (and, hence, the community).

I also like the Random Encounters.

And I love the Overland Map.

12. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

- PoTs
    - Housing
    - Crafting
    - The different Modes

13. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

My Town.

Corv, Kara Brae, Lained and 2 others like this.
  14. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

15. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

- The community - I've met some great people here and love the more mature audience the game has attracted
    - The housing (best I've ever seen in any MMO) and POTs etc
    - Sandbox game with fully consensual PvP - rare indeed when every 2nd kickstarter these days seems to be yawn-yet-another-gankbox (subject to my concerns set out here https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/pvp-flagging-xp-boost-is-messing-up-pve-healing.72636/ )
    - In depth and flexible skill system
    - No 'quest gear' and a nice crafting system to make stuff
    - The fact you don't have to play 'chase the node' with 500 others when you need to go gather some crafting mats (unfortunately looks like this is going to be short lived based on Chris' comments re node respawns in SPO - mines in particular would become almost useless with no respawn in SPO as they are built way too small for large numbers of people to use in MPO - a single run through is a tiny amount of ore compared to the vast amounts needed to level masterwork & enchanting)
    - The way they've built the world map - I thought I'd hate this and was one of the main reasons I didn't come back to check the game out sooner as I've always been 'open world or bust' but the way its been implemented actually works well and allows for almost limitless space to play in. The zones themselves are not very large but the mechanics of SPO / FO / MPO means it works well in practice as they don't get too crowded.

I was really hyped with what I found when I came to check out the game post persistence after pledging at the original KS :)

I am concerned though at the direction some of the changes seem to be going to effecively lock out PvE only as a real choice for current 'end game' grouping / force us into small contested zones for harvesting and farming.

Tamsen, mercster, Corv and 2 others like this.
  16. Kirran

Kirran Avatar

I love the lesson it's taught me to never, ever again invest more than $50 in an early-access game.

Xandra7, Pickley, Kaisa and 4 others like this.
  17. mass

mass Avatar

These questions are tough, because, while I like lot's of stuff in the game, I see it all as a work in progress and expect at least polish (if not outright further development) in pretty much everything. That being said, I like the direction towards increased item diversity, increased skill diversity, increased functionality and diversity of appearance in homes, the ability to have functional play in SPO and FOO, and increased interactivity with world objects.

What keeps me playing right now is that I want to level my character sufficiently before release to have unfettered access to story content and the ability to interact more with the player economy (as it hopefully grows).

Corv and FrostII like this.
  18. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

I really like everything about the game. There are some minor hits and misses here and there that need worked on but in general i love the whole thing. Housing, crafting, my guildmates and others i have met. I love the gardening and fishing. Honestly there is nothing that makes me not want to play. There is always something for me to do and I dont get bored. So the discovery of all things is my challenge and keeps me going

Lord Ravnos, Corv, FrostII and 2 others like this.
  19. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Interesting how many people love the story and the quests as well as how the choices and consequences play out ;)
    Especially considering that SotA is being called a story-driven RPG with a single-player narrative...

Corv likes this.
  20. JohnnyChimpo

JohnnyChimpo Avatar

The deck system

fonsvitae and Corv like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.