Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

What does "Classless Character System" mean?

Discussion in 'Release 38 Feedback Forum' started by Kara Brae, Feb 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

The SotA home page describes SotA as having a:
    Classless Character System: Vast customization options with hundreds of skills and spells in over 20 different skill trees.

I originally assumed that this meant that it would be possible to customize one's build (within reason) to one's liking and still be able to (eventually) experience all the content. My recent experience with the game makes me think that it means I must choose a classless build, i.e. I can't play all the content as a pure mage with cloth armor. Here's why:

• I was too fragile (even with armor buffs) to survive. Friends told me to wear chain or plate (I don't) and carry a shield (I now do)
    • I can't go to certain places any more because some mobs are immune to magic. (Friends advised me to train blades.)
    • With the new focus nerfs I have to flee battles constantly because I have no focus-free auto attacks. (Friends advised me to train blades.)
    Is it really intentional that I have to train different classes of builds to enjoy this game?

Disclaimer: I've made it to adv level 73 but I am not a power gamer killing machine who can gain millions of exp to GM all my skills. My sluggish frame rate of 8-15 FPS makes it difficult to even loot the corpses of mobs I have killed, and half of the time when I click on glyphs to stack them or fire them off the click doesn't register.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  2. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Exactly same issues here at Adv Level ~60 (didn't check it for so e weeks).
    I am thinking of completely rerolling to a fighter. Pure mage with cloth and wands is not possible to fight in mines for example.

3. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

And this is the answer to your question. With your fps it's quite impossible to be succesful in areas with more/harder enemies.

4. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

While every build is possible, it doesnt mean they are all equal in effectiveness.

Should i only want to be a moon mage, can i be upset i cant damage on par with a fire mage?
    What about a 2 hand hammrr while wearing cloth, no magic?
    Pure death magic vs skelitons?

*pure mage* in cloth is very much do able. While it might mean more grinding to be able to handle things compared to others? I think its a matter of setup, perspective and skill.

Also ure fps tells me you probably struggle to successfully skill react :/ making game even harder for yourself.
    Stacking, kiting, proper debuffing and reacting. That fps rate i cant imagine.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  5. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Maybe you are exaggerating to make a point, but in my opinion forcing a mage to go melee is a much more drastic change than forcing a mage to use a different kind of magic.

6. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

upgrading your pc will let you have a much better easier time of it.

I am always an archer... because I love how they play in most games a lot of moving around usually quite a bit faster than other classes.

but if I were to build a mage it would be a mixed bag of magic trees, and a few different gemed gear sets for different situations. I don't think you would need to use a physical dmg weapon but it would be a bit slower growing it sticking to farming lower skull scenes for xp and having a strict plan for advancement.

if your really interested in help on making a pure mage you should create a thread "mage build help" "mage character progression help" and seek advice on it. there are lots of people that are really talented at... video games... :( ... that would be happy to offer advice in our little community.

and if your close on $ there is always rmt :p quite a few trust worth buyers and resellers around that would be happy to help you get a better pc to enjoy the game more.

7. Varinka

Varinka Avatar

If you want to be a powerfull wizard act like one! Avoid the fight, learn the skills it needs to defeat your enemys or pay some dumb fighter with a big sword to kill them for you.

8. Numa

Numa Avatar

I would recommend a polearm for a secondary weapon than a sword because of the extended reach. Physical infighting is inevitable in this game specially in catacombs. Pure mages are dead meat once you step into areas or meet mobs which are immune or resistant to magic. Pets, summoned or tamed, are also useful as tanks but probably not at your level since these are currently crippled by level limitations.

Mages in high towers studying solo yes. Mages soloing in dungeons with just wands & cloth and no backup - very bad idea.

9. Lained

Lained Avatar

Until you can upgrade your PC I suggest activating/stacking glyphs using the keyboard as its doesn't fail like using the mouse can.

10. StarLord

StarLord Avatar

I am in the same situation. L73 adventurer. I started with blades/2h/plate and slowly switched to mage (cloth armor+chain chest, 1h+shield. Mainly fire, air, earth) . However due to focus cost and fizzle I still heavily rely on blades.
    My damage output from blades is way higher then from air (I have spent more XP in blades, but not that much I think). Focus regen during combat should be upped. And I do not like to eat food (in game)

11. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

I would not say I am pure mage for exactly the reasons the OP alludes to, however, I only trained Shield, and a lot of innates. Granted, I haven't been mining in a month, so if they switched that up I could be off (but I doubt it). I focus on Death / Air. I have some resistances up to like 40 in the other trees. I have str/int/dex at 80, and some of the other innates at 70-80.

I do not have any melee skills trained, and I can handle the mobs in the mines.

OP, I would suggest a shield/wand combo. I'd also suggest some innates in there, as well as the passives in the shield tree. Save the staff for groups where you can move around (Blink is your friend to maintain the stillness bonus - in fact, even solo, Blink is your friend (I have that at around 50)).

This could also be due to your magic classes, as Death / Air seem to be a good combo and powerful. I cannot speak to Fire/Earth/Water, although I hear Earth and Fire are pretty boss.

Edit: Maybe around Adv. Level 75.

12. Sir Brenton

Sir Brenton Avatar

Classless - with magic. There is no way to succeed without magic, thats just how they made this game unfortunately. The world is magic, everyone is magic, every item is magic. It's magical, like Disney :)

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Dinsoo like this.
  13. Rosemourne

Rosemourne Avatar

I think @Sara Dreygon might disagree with you.

14. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Definitly exaggerating. But it is very much do able to play as a pure mage, or most *decent* builds. I think as others have stated, it may be performance your fallen short on.
    Heh i happen to know Sara also runs with a pure healer 80% of the time lol.

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Numa like this.
  15. Sir Brenton

Sir Brenton Avatar

So this Sara, did not have to play through magic in her skill trees to get to the skills she wanted like everyone else? Sara is not using any spells? Yes.. Yes I think she is.

16. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Not everyone!
    @Bowen Bloodgood

17. Rosemourne

Rosemourne Avatar

Sara Dreygon doesn't touch magic. I've tried many times to convince him. He overspecializes in Blades, Heavy Armour, Tactics, and Subterfuge, having upwards to 130 (140 in bladed, I think?) in many skills because he doesn't touch any of the magic trees at all.

You mean when he fights the dragon? Yeah. The lich, trolls and daemon he solos.

18. Sir Brenton

Sir Brenton Avatar

You don't seem to understand my point. This person may not "use" magic now. But you cannot get to all the skills you need/want as a non magic user without using magic to begin with. They may be an "ethical" fighter now, but you cant play that way from beginning to end.

*points to skill trees*

I digress.

Gix and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  19. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Ah yeah? What magic is required to master the polearm? Armor? Ranged combat? The only skill that requires magic to master.. is a magic skill. I'm level 50 at the moment.. and I didn't use a single spell to get there. Not once. Oh.. and I got there almost exclusively solo. Also there is a pretty big difference between need.. and want. So which skill trees are you pointing at specifically? Example?

20. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Bowen does it as well and said he has no big issues until.

But then why all people talk about op Mages? Just in PvP?

I don't want to use a shield either, i am a mage !!!
    But tested this out and earlier I used a pole too.
    To me this helps to save regencies , but I think the problem is cloth armor.
    I get so much damage from just a skeleton fighter and an archer in Graff , I am down in seconds.
    I can tank the 2 Kobolds, but when the skellies attack, no chance, one is OK, but with an archer and no possibility to kite or make a well placed CC it's impossible atm.
    I watch people with less hp, less stats , less skills doing it in leather with bows , fast killing, moderate armor.

It seems, pure mage isn't able to do everything solo, especially mines/ dungeons.

So i have 2 choices, go hybrid or reroll. Both are not very welcome, although I would have a plan for a new character.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.