Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

What does "Classless Character System" mean?

Discussion in 'Release 38 Feedback Forum' started by Kara Brae, Feb 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Things might improve once the cover system goes in.. though tight spaces might still be a problem. What are archers doing in mines anyway??? :p

2. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I allways want archers aren't able to shoot if the opponent is in close combat, they should need at least am and step back to be able to shoot.
    I played some Archers in MMO , because I like kiting , but I always quit if it comes to melee combat with a bow.
    Immersion breaking and completely dull imo.

3. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

All they have ever promised and are sticking to is that you can finish the Single Story Line using any template you chose.

There should NEVER be a place that anyone can go to at will (have to say it High Tier area that is, if I did not say it I would get bashed). There should be places a mage dare not travel and other places a warrior fear to tread. But since so many players feel that they should be able to walk thru each and every place and the developers have given players exactly that from the beginning. Now they have started to give player an actual game to P L A Y everyone is screaming "I cannot do what I used to do easily - I cannot kill EVERYTHING"

This was something they should have been doing from the beginning of persistence. But sadly there is basically only one magic school faced by players (fire) , and one damage style, and and and and and

Since they are now actually working on making the game work like a GAME, and not somthign finished in a week, players are going nutz.

You should have to find friends to go to a tier 5 - should have been that way from the start but that is lost now.

this is to all . . . . . . .

stop whining and be happy you have what you have , if you go into to the Rise and get ghosted in the first encounter and you are alone G O O D.

Any new player coming into this game is straight up screwed, they will have to work 5x harder to gain the skills you have , they will have to work 5x harder to even come close to a descent level of prosperity, and they will NEVER obtain a level of crafting some of you have already completed - NEVER.

And they will most defiantly NEVER EVER achieve 20+ GMs in fighting skill nor will they be able to handle a control point after the first tier on their own, nor walk thru Deep Ravenswood with out having to do it strategically, nor approach the Fire Elemental in the Pass without being smart . . . . .

P
    L
    A
    Y

T
    H
    E

G
    A
    M
    E

They do however need to get of their hind ends and finish what they have already sold . . . . . (I am not going to go into those aspects here)

You have the freedom to be anything you want in this game and that is what was meant.

4. runicpaine

runicpaine Avatar

Lowering resolution in game can DRASTICALLY increase performance. One of my laptops barely runs the game even on low settings, but dropping the resolution to various options makes it actually play very smoothly.

5. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

As pervasive as this seems to be, it sounds like set bonuses and specializations need to be made stronger.

6. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Actually i was curious and there is over 200 skills, and 20 trees lol. So its not a lie? And ill give them that, they are adding new ones here and there with every other release.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  7. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

theres over 200 different skills in adventure alone..
    Hit K ?
    Maybe im misunderstanding you.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  8. Teralitha Tokomi

Teralitha Tokomi Avatar

oh right... I forgot about expanding the skill trees... nevermind.

9. eli

eli Avatar

my main is a pure mage that uses cloth and no shield. I have a similar experience with him now if i try to solo. Previously, I could very precariously solo pulling 1-2 at a time. That play-style seems gone with the focus changes, so now i always hunt in groups, and use dash, blink, escape, and terrain LOS extensively... I also don't have any idea how the aggro system works, but I feel like casting a 3-stack spell is less aggro than 3 individual single-stacks, so i do that even though it might not actually help? Also i use an obsidian bear, which makes it easier as a mage.

10. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Nope, no she didn't and nope, no she doesn't :).

I hit things with a sword very hard and it dies very quickly. Healing would take away from my DPS which is why I've never casted even one spell in combat as it would just let my foe live longer and hit me more... If I can't kill it before my health runs out then I probably shouldn't have fought it.

Would it help me to cast a skill like Strength of Earth? Ya. Do I do this? Nope. The challenge of not doing it and still being successful is the fun part for me and I've been very successful.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  11. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

It's not what the engine sets, it's what you do with it. If you find it immersion breaking and dull, just swap your deck for melee fight und gut ist.

12. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Try a bow. Works fine for me.

Are mages too weak with the last focus nerf? I guess they are.

Non the less with your fps you are really making the game harder as it is. 15 fps sounds like a really old rig. Even my old gtx 950m got more fps out of the game and the gtx 950m s**ks even more than its desktop counterpart.
    Get a gtx 1060 6gb. If that's not inside your budget get the 3gb version of the 1060. Only 5% less output behind it's 6gb counterpart. Well and half the memory of course but so far it didn't even start sweating with an non optimized conan exiles with high details. So I can really recommend it after live testing.

Numa and Kara Brae like this.
  13. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I think it's good that different mobs have different strengths that can present problems for players, but I think when mob magic resists were revamped that it was overdone. As it is now, too many mobs are highly resistant to too many types of magic, and many of them for no obvious reason.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  14. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Oh the irony.

15. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

I think the problem is in expecting that all builds are viable in all scenarios given a classless system. I actually find it disappointing if there are not significant advantages/disadvantages to their build choices. If a Pure Mage can do everything well and a Pure Warrior can do everything well, then why have a choice? I enjoy having the complexity of multiple paths, rather than the common trope invading games of having different aesthetic flavors of the same basic abilities.

There are really three solutions...

A hybrid build.
    Two Builds (Two Armor Sets / Decks to Manage)
    Partying with others.

I think partying with others is the best aspect of the current design. And as far as I am aware, there was going to be an NPC companion system in offline mode to help make up for the same scenarios there.

Expecting to do everything without taking the time to learn to do everything is always going to leave people frustrated.

MrBlight likes this.
  16. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

I think this might go towards Weins' point of what they should have done early vs. late. I play much more casually than many, so I didn't have any super-high skill levels. But even so, I was paying attention as I was leveling. As my spell skills got higher, I noticed the focus issue coming more and more into the foreground. And it really came to a head when they made the respawns crazy fast in R35. But I managed to catch it early and was able to lock those highest skills and give my Focus tree skills a chance to catch up. I started pursuing some armor with more +Int and +Focus% on it. I don't have anything too crazy now, between +2 and +5 for most of my gear. But a sustained effort to make sure an average fight wouldn't take me below 50% focus (just in case of a chain aggro or those super fast repops) really paid off for me. Most of my actives are still in the 60-80 range with a pool of ~500 focus (before it is dropped a bit due to having a water or ice elemental summoned).

But I can totally understand how people who went full tilt leveling their actives without pausing them to let passives catch up may have found themselves overshooting their pool limits with the recent changes. Something that would have been easier to correct if the focus changes were prioritized to before wipe.

Preachyr and Alley Oop like this.
  17. Gix

Gix Avatar

Flavour.

There's an important distinction to be made between "viable" and "effective". All builds should be viable but they shouldn't excel at everything. I think the biggest problem is when you feel like your build isn't viable at all IN ANY SITUATION and the feeling is worse when your build is trying to match a very common fantasy archetype (pure warrior, pure mage, thief, bard, etc, etc).

Take stealth play for example. As if sneaking around wasn't freakishly hard enough, I once managed to get a "critical strike" of ZERO DAMAGE on a melee Sneak Attack. On a bandit wizard... so not only do I expect to excel against casters, but humans should also be squishier than say, rock elements. I've only experienced this once but in a lot of cases, Sneak Attack (for example) hardly ever does significant damage. Don't get me wrong, I can get some serious damage out of Sneak Attack... but the output is too random for someone who's trying to plan his attacks strategically from the shadows.

So if I see a warrior (even if it's a pure warrior) charge in and eliminate 2-3 bandits while taking relatively little damage due to the warrior's heavy armour... and here I am, wasting my time trying to land a (what should be) a powerful strike on a single enemy....

...that's not fun.

THAT'S the problem.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    uhop, Preachyr and Kara Brae like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.