What Does Your Name Mean?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alleine Dragonfyre, Feb 27, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duffrey Blake

Duffrey Blake Avatar

Duffrey is a combination of Dupre and Geoffrey. Both are companions of the ultima series. A paladin and a fighter. That’s what Duffrey strives for.

2. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

What's a paladin? ;)

3. Hazard

Hazard Avatar

Variation of the name of a sketchy mage at the Broken Rudder tavern from the 1986 TSR module compilation, Scourge of the Slave Lords, set in the Greyhawk universe. Alternatively Hazard the Trapper from Ultima VII Part 2. Used as one of many character names in UO.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  4. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

My names have usually been boring. The are the Class I choose (Warrior) and my handle (bpatrick for Bill Patrick). If I played an archer or wizard it would start with that but always end with bpatrick. Over the years I have come up with some appropriate names. I google search real names for the era of the game, both time and place. Other times it is just contextual to people I meet. One of my alts is Bob Waddy which is "A waddy, nulla nulla or hunting stick is an Aboriginal Australian war club". I choose this after meeting some guild members from Australia. Sometimes I use a thesaurus to pick names that mean the same thing but are already taken. A couple of my favorite names was when I named a troll "Troll Road" and when I named a character "Bill of Lading". You have to keep in mind that short of paying a fee you will carry that name for the life of the character.

The goal is to have fun.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  5. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Finally i can say it out loud:

PEOPLE OF SOTA! 'EARL' IS A TITLE! IT'S NOT THE FIRST NAME OF MY CHAR!!!!1111

Ahem. :D:D

After we got that out of the way:
    Atogrim is actually the name of my first UO freeshard char I ever made back in the days.
    Drake is the surname I use since ages for most of my characters, be it online or offline back in the pen and paper days.
    Add a 'von' to the mix, the prefix of the Nobel's in the HRE and make the name sound more German with adding n to the surname and you end up with Atogrim von Draken.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  6. Whitestag

Whitestag Avatar

Hmmm lets see back in 1965 when I was 8 yrs old my 2 older brothers being 14 and 16 at the time were avid hunters. They told me of a albino buck they were trying to get, it got to the point where all the people that hunted in the area would spot him but could never get him. He was called Whitestag and sometimes Ghost Buck. when i started gaming before 1980 I created 3 handles. Whitestag / Nightwolf / and Zombiewolf. That was around 40 yrs ago and I still use them today. 8 }

7. Knight Commander Tyncale

Knight Commander Tyncale Avatar

Tynkale was(is!) an NPC in Everquest, a High Elf Guildmaster in Felwithe. Everquest was my first MMO and I was there from the beginning. It left an everlasting imprint on me and I remember many of the old NPC names vividly. Especially since they could kill you in an instant if you happened to type "a" without having the chatbox enabled.... (attack). Everquest was rough on the edges back then which actually was part of the charm. Anyway, I fashioned my name after him, obviously recalling his name was spelled with a C. I was wrong but now I have a pretty unique name that (so far) *never* seems to be taken in one of the many MMO's that I played after Everquest. :)

Kara Brae, Numa, Barugon and 10 others like this.
  8. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

My family lived in Skara Brae for generations. I don't know whether our family surname is named after the town or if the town was named after my family, but the names Sara and Kara have a long tradition in our family. :cool:

Almar, Numa, Verit and 15 others like this.
  9. dylan1111

dylan1111 Avatar

My in-game name is Bones, I use it in pretty much every game I play. I got the name from a line in a Parkway Drive song called Karma, "Shipwrecked bones carry my seasick heart home".

Kara Brae, Numa, Verit and 11 others like this.
  10. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Normally I use some different names for my avatars but regarding the lore of SotA choosing a complete different name sounds not like that would be still me.
    Because of that I’m using my RL first name also for my avatar and follow the “demand” of the lore to be my avatar not just by my actions but also by my name. ;)
    My last name was chosen by the members of our german gild(s). For the PoT was needed a name, there was a discussion among our members and as a result “Drachental” was chosen. ("dragon vale" might be a good translation)
    With this decision also my avatars last name was decided by adding a aristocratically “von” to the name of the PoT and as in the beginning no spaces were allowed it became “vonDrachental”.

11. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

12. mass

mass Avatar

My forum name, mass, is shorthand for my in game name, Masseter Deacon. The masseter muscle is that which raises your jawbone and allows you to...bite, among other things. It is one of the strongest muscles in the body per weight. The surname Deacon, is a relic of Masseter's ancestry, who were ordained in a mysterious cult for generations, to which Masseter's only hint of their existence is the inheritance of the name.

Kara Brae, Numa, Verit and 10 others like this.
  13. Thadeus Crook

Thadeus Crook Avatar

Mine was my Columbia House alias. I got 12 CD's for a penny!

Kara Brae, Numa, Verit and 13 others like this.
  14. LiquidBlaze

LiquidBlaze Avatar

I could say it's because I'm a fire mage but I'd be lying. =)

15. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

My first name is Adam so I was pretty unoriginal there.

That's a great movie for sure. I was creating a new character in UO and I had just watched it the night before. So the Crow in my last name is a tribute to that movie and Brandon Lee.

Kara Brae, OrionSnake, Numa and 9 others like this.
  16. Corv

Corv Avatar

thumbs up!

Adam Crow and Fionwyn Wyldemane like this.
  17. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

I use a Bow and I'm from the Vale....I'm not very creative with my name...

Kara Brae, Adam Crow, Numa and 13 others like this.
  18. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

ill bite

Real Name is Weiner sooo the Weinie part and in testing I just got grumpie and use that as the first name, as time went on I just got used to it and it stuck

Twein is beter 1/2 crafter just not viable to be just a crafter will et there

And Honador well I just looked up evil demon names, I had no idea that Thanatos was actually in the game - and just have kept it - he is supposed to be or going to be a Dark Paladin, but since Plat / Death magic are basically a non starter I am just waiting until I have the time to make it work.

Kara Brae, OrionSnake, Verit and 5 others like this.
  19. Gregg247

Gregg247 Avatar

Tiffani SaintOnge was the name of my very first MMO character, in The Sims Online back in 2002. I wanted to create a silly, dim-bulb character, and came up with a name I thought she'd "find klassy". I brought her into City of Heroes a couple of years later and, ironically, she became my favorite and most powerful alt in the game, an Earth/Storm Controller. Since then, I've played her in every single online game I've tried, including Champions Online, DC Universe Online, Eve Online, The Secret World, Wildstar, Star Trek Online, SW:TOR, Destiny, and a slew of one-day-and-out MMOs. At this point, when I log her in, its like saying "hi" to an old friend.

Kill Dozer was named after the classic TV-movie from 1974, about a bulldozer that gets possessed by a demon and goes on a murderous rampage against its construction crew. It was a VERY big deal among us 4th graders, believe me! lol

Dodge Raider is named after my favorite car, a 1987 Dodge Raider 2 door SUV. I've owned 2 of those over the years, and loved them both, despite being vastly under-powered (a 4-cylinder SUV?!?).

Kara Brae, Adam Crow, Numa and 9 others like this.
  20. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Starman as defined by the Rush song "2112 Temples of Syrinx". The Starman is a symbol of resistance to tyranny. The individual resisting the oppression of a collective (in its many forms).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.