What encounters have unicorns?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nikko, Aug 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Do you have to do a specific type of over world encounter to see them? I just did 6 or 7 full encounters, and I did not see a single one. I am on the hidden vale. some were plains and some were forest. I'd guess they definitely will not show up on a road encounter.

2. Brighton Rock

Brighton Rock Avatar

Try stag encounters. There is this big rock in the middle of the hidden vale near kingsroad. I've seen them very often there.

Lord Trady of Blix, Jaesun and Nikko like this.
  3. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

I have seen the stag encounter by that big rock there. I know which one you're talking about, and will try that some more soon. I did try that one twice so far. Probably just need to keep trying. Thanks!

4. Floors

Floors Avatar

they’re rare, when you do see them you’ll freak

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I've seen many light unicorns. I have yet to see a dark unicorn. :(

6. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

If there's a spot where a certain encounter is possible (like stags), then stay in the area and take whatever encounter is there. Complete it or just run back out, either way - eventually the one you seek will re-appear in that area........ ;)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  7. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Thanks for all of the replies. I have seen some people talk about killing them solo. Do they have a ranged magical attack, or are they super fast (so they don't even need to be ranged)? I heard they hit pretty hard. Can anyone describe their attacks?

8. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

9. Floors

Floors Avatar

They have 6000 HP and they do 300+ point unicorn smash. I can solo foals but not big ones. But I havent grinded all my magic trees yet ;) They also heal up alot

Gabriel Nightshadow and Nikko like this.
  10. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Thanks so much for the input!

There is significant evidence showing that resistance from attunement is actually not a thing right now. I'm not sure it ever was, to be honest. I know that Chris stated that it is supposed to be that resistance from attunement is supposed to be 1/2 the attunement amount. Like, if you have 80 attunement in Death Magic tree, that gives you 40 resistance to Death spells. Mac has also pointed out that he believes this is bugged and not working as intended. What does help is the resistance innates that only a few of the trees have, the two resistance potions, and high-level Purify. Anyone have any input on this? @Chris ?? If this is still bugged, it is a pretty bad one, because thousands of players have dumped many millions of XP into skills that we don't really even want, just for that bit of extra resistance.

I have an alt that I never leveled any of the magic schools except for the three resistance innates, just because of this alleged bug. I gotta say, he definitely feels like he has similar resistances to Death magic, as my main that I poured millions of XP into the expensive Death tree.

FrostII and Lord Trady of Blix like this.
  11. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Peal off the baby unicorns, they are pretty easy to kill but heal themselves like crazy.

I actually haven't heard of anyone killing the mommas yet (I bet a group has) but they fire rainbows outta their arss and almost one shot me (600+ hp a shot) with full defenses on at adv lvl 111 so best leave them to big groups.

12. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Weird. I've only seen light unicorns a few times, but lots of dark ones.
    Both! They do this weird speed boosty thing (I've been too busy to notice if they're casting Dash or something) where I can use a fleet flute and a wolf potion, and stay away from them for maybe ten-twenty seconds, then suddenly they get super fast and are right on me. Plus confusion, so kiting is double hard. Then they spit rainbows at you. The longest I've ever lasted (AL94 archer/light armor) is about thirty seconds, and that was only because they didn't use their speed boost for a bit for some reason. Once they're on me, I last maybe 5 seconds. I used LFG to get two other people together (a melee about my level, and another archer that was probably over lvl100) and we got shellacked. You would probably need a very good tank and a very good healer (or two) to be able to do unicorns under AL100. I know a bunch of the solo-ers were using a terrain exploit for a while, but the devs fixed it. I'm sure people still solo it (I just saw a video of Devilcult soloing Upper Tears) but I'm guessing it's only the top 1-2% of players who can.

13. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

People must be, I've seen sylvan spears and unicorn horns on vendors. Unless horns drop from foals really really rarely. I think hair only drops off the big ones too, but I don't know for certain.

14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Like the fire chicken.

Nikko likes this.
  15. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Maybe? Haven't bothered with the chicken yet.

16. Floors

Floors Avatar

I don't know. I just know what people tell me, and rumors I hear on the forums. The game says it does, so I have to accept that is what is supposed to happen.

All I know is that I certainly am still mortal at level 92 with 6 GMs and some of the best equipment in the game. I am branching out now into some of the easier magic types for plate users to cast, like earth magic. And you know, maybe that's okay, because well... there's not much else to do until we get more Ep 2 content. But I am really enjoying SoTa now and have definately turned a corner on it. No matter what happens, It's been worth it. Can't wait for that boxed set !

I only got blood from my foals.

Witcheypoo and Nikko like this.
  17. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

The high level person that tried it out withe me was well over 100, with over 50 GMs. She was annoyed with the unicorns, because death costs her 500k XP. I think unicorns are supposed to be really tough no matter who you are.

18. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Yes, they are very illusive critters.

19. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

If there's unicorns in a "stag" scene - you will see a "danger" message in the chat log and probably on screen that's working at the start of the scene.

Jaesun and Nikko like this.
  20. Floors

Floors Avatar

You dont always notice messages tho. I just saw my first unicorns in the scene and I was like whoa !!!

Nikko and Echondas like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.