What game had the best combat mechanics?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Veylen The AenigmA, Jan 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

Well i played dc universe online when it came out and though the combat sucked with only six hotbar abilities to use and then i have been playing it on the ps4 and its so mich un with a controller. While i dont expect sota to be played with a controller and i do enjoy a massive amount of hotbars. The blocking and dodging and combo system is really cool and i wish some kind of dcuo combat or a vestige of it makes its way to sota as everyone knows i despise randomly dropped abilties if i had to pick id rather have a six button max hotbar and dcuo style combat thab the way its envisioned now

2. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

I always loved the combat in City of Heroes. It was still hotbar dependant but something about it felt fluid and natural.

Ned888, Time Lord and BillRoy like this.
  3. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I would say Lord of the Rings - Warden because of the ability to take control of your character ie damage, healing, tanking, avoidance all in one series of hits. I recently went back to that game and they had added a bunch of new moves, but that game has gone down hill with their pay for everything model.

4. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Guildwars2. Although I like the first person feel of Tera / Neverwinter a bit better.
    I expect games to continue the active defense trend with a more reliable block/parry and cc/interrupt skill, in addition to dodge.
    You really only need a few smart buttons with some ability to chain / combo between them.

BillRoy [ab] and majoria70 like this.
  5. Maka

Maka Avatar

Ultimate IV

6. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

Would yu rather be able to have the ability to switch specs and both be viable orhave one spec you can pick up whatever yu want and not be as viable as a pure spec

Even though this game wont have classes it will have specs id like to be able to switch between a few instead of having to pick one or the other or risk too much multi tasking and not be viable at anything. Its a lot easier to switch specs if u need to heal than having to pick up a few heals with your current spec and suck at it

I just think havig abilities drop at every turn and be random is too much. Just having new abilities drop ito a slot of the same type the previous one was is about the most ill budge on the current combat system and still play it

7. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Final Fantasy 11. You had to time your abilities and use the right type of ability to execute a chain attack to bring things down fast. If you couldn't do it right you could still level, it would just be much slower. I also like FF 14: arr little red areas you have to move out of or get attacked.

(I dislike the active dodge systems in game like neverwinter)

8. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

I don't think there is a game with the 'best' combat mechanics yet. However, I enjoy the combat in Dark Souls a lot.

9. Orladin

Orladin Avatar

Dat grind. I still have nightmares about it. It had a good UI though.
    Fond memories of FF11
    1 Finding out what a notorious monster was........by running around La Thiene Plateau. /Looks over at my buddy. Hey it's a giant sheep. Wtf is a Lumbering Lambert? Let's wreck this sucka........didn't work out as expected
    2 Subjob quest. FF11 with it's ungodly respawn times for that skeleton in the valdunes that dropped the golden skull. As soon as it spawned it was insta targeted but 9001 Koreans. After around a week of that mess I ended up looking them up in a beastiary. They were normal spawns in some mine 2 or 3 zones away. I ran myself through zones galore. I get there and get insta questioned with dude what are you doing here this is a mid level zone blah blah blah. Explained I ran from dunes. Explained I wasn't going to sit around the dunes and try to kill a monster that only spawns once an eon. Everyone loled. I was partied. 3 minutes later I was running back to the dunes with skull in hand.

Play the predecessor games to the series. King's Field 1,2,3 and 4. Shadow Tower and Shadow Tower Abyss. If anything pick up Kings Field 4 The Ancient City for the PS2. Every bit of that game is dark and brooding. The soundtrack adds to the atmosphere perfectly.
    Every game in that series is relentless and unforgiving. The Ancient City especially. There's not even a map. But the landscape is so diverse that you actually have to learn to navigate by landmarks etc. There's absolutely no hand holding. It also fills in a lot of lore in the series. You learn a lot more about Guryu, Seath and Necron. It also explains the origin of the Moonlight Sword.

10. wunder

wunder Avatar

For this type of game (mainly PvP): DarkFall (with minor exceptions)

Note: we are talking PvP/combat mechanics - not the rest. :)

(Games I took into account: Everquest II, DarkFall, Mortal Online, Conan, SilkRoad, UO)

11. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I tend to like just about anything turn based, but obviously not for SoTA! I really like the combat in oblivion and skyrim... just feels natural to me. Oblivion more than skyrim though. I hate having to put my weapon away to cast spells. Especially with that slow animation. yech.

12. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Yes, combat in both of those Elder Scroll games was well done. Combat in the last couple of Final Fantasy games was good too! Hard to pick one as the "best".

Jambo, Time Lord, Caliya and 2 others like this.
  13. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I couldn't stand the combat in either of those games hehe.

How about Diablo combat! yeah! :)

Time Lord, Crikey and NRaas like this.
  14. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

If the game were isometric, I'd be all for it. In fact, I would have preferred an isometric game, but it would never fly in today's market. Not to get the numbers we're looking at now anyway. I love that Harebrain went isometric for the Shadowrun game... never finished that one either.... doh!

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  15. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

That style of combat does work for isometric games. Loved Diablo II & III, btw ;) Never played the original, though.

Jambo and Time Lord like this.
  16. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

It's difficult to go back to the original after the advances 2 made, but I still enjoy playing it the few times I've fired it up.
    Some fun info here, When my bro was telling me about Ultima Online back in 1999 he said that the graphics were pretty good, but not as good as Diablo. Diablo being a 3 year old game.

If I were to describe SoTA's graphics I'd say they are pretty good, but not as good as skyrim, a 3 year old game when SoTA is released.

Time Lord and docdoom77 like this.
  17. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I don't really know what the best combat system would be but I enjoyed fighting things in Age Of Conan the most. It was going to also be a console game so it had a more manual feel but they had such a tough time getting it together that it really fell short of what it could have been. I would probably still be playing it if all of my friends didn't hate it so much!

Time Lord, Mishri and wagram like this.
  18. vjek

vjek Avatar

19. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Pretty happy with SWTOR pvp mechanics right now... Pvp doesn't really mean that much in that game though besides battleground after battleground, which is a huge shame because world fights would make it far, far more interesting.

Warhammer is/was good also.

I am totally down with turn based systems too.

Other mentions would be Neverwinter games 1+2, Might and Magic series, most all Bioware RPG's...

20. G Din

G Din Avatar

GW2 (Already stated this) Its a simple but complex system that flows nicely during gameplay.

BillRoy [ab] likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.