What game had the best combat mechanics?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Veylen The AenigmA, Jan 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

GuildWars2. It generally set the bar on mechanics for MMOs. But...is was build by such a big team that it feels sort of like 4 different games stitched together. Still, it's probably the most popular buy to play MMO at this point.

docdoom77 likes this.
  2. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Hmm, makes me wish I would have played GW2...I hated GW1 so bad didn't even want to try 2 :)

majoria70, fumblefingers and Caliya like this.
  3. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Fallout 2.

docdoom77 likes this.
  4. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Really not the same at all. gw1 wasn't an MMO. While it was interesting, I never even got to level 20.

I actually bought gw1 thinking that an MMO without a sub was a good idea. And barely got through the beta. Then sucked it up and bought lineage2.

People actually talk about gw1 a lot from a PvP perspective...because the end game was all arena play so it's a very good study on build vs build game balance.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  5. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

I never played GW1 but i got GW2 when it was half price and have really enjoyed it, the main WTF moment for me was, I was fighting this mob and losing badly and I jumped into the lake to get away and they all followed me in and had a battle underwater!, It was a wow moment that I never even realised they had underwater combat lol, I play a spellcaster and get four sets of spell types that also have total variations when you pick up different staffs and weapon sets!, Really mixes it up, I like the model of pay to play as well, No annoying shops.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  6. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

As I've said before, gw2 only really missed on 2 things for me combat wise:
    1) I like the more first person/over the shoulder feel of Tera, Neverwinter, ESO
    2) The weapon skills were too random to me. You had 5 skills, and '1' was perfect. But the others might be attacks or defense or some weird targeted AoE, etc. They were locked - not actually "random" like SotA is proposing. But it was just too weird, you'd switch weapons (or characters) and everything would be different. There was no sense to them. If it were always mapped to 1=defense, 2=cc/interrupt, 3=attack, 4=finisher, and we gave them 5 as some utility...then it would have made sense and been far less awkward.

This is why Mike Tyson's PunchOut!! was awesome. Tap for dodge, back to block, right, left, finisher....that was it. No weird moves or staring at the UI or a keyboard.

7. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

Although I know I will be in the minority here, one game that immediately comes to mind is Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. The battle system and mechanics were excellent, fluid, responsive and fun. Skyrim was also pretty well done, although I felt KoA's combat system was better.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

KOA was good combat but the quests were so boring and the story was so yawning, I never fell asleep so much playing any game in my life, I just could not keep up with the story in any way shape or form.

9. Doppelganger [MGT]

Sadly, I agree. The only thing that kept me going in that game were the combat system, side quests and factions like "The Travelers" and "House of Ballads" you could join up and do missions for. Those were all far more interesting than the main plot line. The main story was dull and predictable, which was very surprising to me coming from a good fantasy author like R.A. Salvatore.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Thanks. Of course I've never heard of it, since I avoid mmo's like a plague. :p

11. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

I liked DDO (D&D Online) but hated the world. I like Guild Wars 2 as well.

If we were going to talk turn based strategy (which they could do if they did solo instanced dungeons :D) I loved Temple of Elemental Evil!

12. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Digging those fights, all the missing chunks, broken & torn limbs. Epic. You see you head spit out how? :D

Lord Baldrith and vjek like this.
  13. Squire

Squire Avatar

It completely depends on the game, but if we're talking RPGs, I'm going to say Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2.

There's no timing, combos, twitch factor, or anything like that. It's pretty much "click on your enemy and watch them fight", and for those who find that 'boring', you have the ability to switch to power attack or expertise modes at will (no cool-down required - each mode was a trade-off), as well as the ability to attempt a disarm or trip (again, no cooldown, but you do no damage and it might not succeed - again, a trade-off).

That's how I like it - your combat prowess depends on the way you've developed your character, not your motor skills or button mashing/timing ability. The only tactics required are in terms of positioning, preparing the battlefield, and tactical use of spells and spell-like abilities.

If we're talking about a skill/action based game, however, I'd go with Mount and Blade. In that game, your skill in battle depends on your skill as a player alone, and your character's prowess makes almost no difference - sure, it helps you swing and block faster, but if you miss a few parries, you're going down.

14. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

KOA seriously? ...all you needed to do was fire off a spell or 2, or slice something a couple times. At least I never died at all. :D

15. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

DDO was good fun but spoilt by its shop system, I hated the paying for a dungeon scheme, seemed way over priced, And playing with others was always a pain because each dungeon ended up a speedrun.

Ned888 likes this.
  16. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

I mean all the story and the side quests too, And i hated all the daft names with their slight spin off of most fantasy characters, Fey etc!

17. Doppelganger [MGT]

Oh yeah, I loved the combat in KOA. I am not talking about the difficulty of the enemies though, I am talking specifically the combat mechanics as a whole. The animations, the responsiveness, the speed, the flexibility of options/choices, you name it! You're talking about the difficulty and I completely agree, the enemies were not powerful enough and were far too easy to kill. That has nothing to do with the actual action of the combat tho ;)

18. Squire

Squire Avatar

Sorry, did you just say Salvatore was a good fantasy author?? :D :D :D

Okay, to be fair, I don't mind his stories so much (although they're not exactly known for being clever), but I HATE his characters. They're always amazing at everything, and usually have no flaws whatsoever.

docdoom77, Akeashar and Ned888 like this.
  19. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

Warhammer Fantasy & 40k.

Sent from my EVA Unit-01 using Tapatalk

Orladin likes this.
  20. Squire

Squire Avatar

Are you talking about the tabletop RPGs? Yeah, they have a good combat system. It's a shame nobody will make a proper CRPG out of them though - the only 40k games out there are the 3d shooter Space Marine, and RTSs (most of which we have to play as space marines :p ). Oh, and that Warhammer Online, which is just another World of Warcraft.

In fact, Warhammer FRP 2nd edition is my favourite RPG system of all time. Someone needs to do a proper CRPG of it...maybe we should start a Kickstarter campaign.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.