What game had the best combat mechanics?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Veylen The AenigmA, Jan 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Akeashar

Akeashar Avatar

Dawn of War 1 you have to play as the Space Marines, Winter Assault you got to play the Orks and Imperial Guard, all the other expansions... zomg. So many races to choose from! I usually played Eldar, tho it was interesting getting to play as the Tau and just how the mechanics did vary RTS-wise from race to race.... still chose the Eldar tho. Space Elves ftw. XD

Warhammer Online was a lot of fun I found. The fact that tanks were literal brick wall tanks and couldn't be moved through made things interesting. I played a Witch Elf (Yeah, theres totally a pattern here) which was fun. However the Lore / PvE was broken and Mythic never fixed it before the game closed. Now thats a game I'd love to see private servers of since it has expired. But WAR really showed me at least how PvP could be done properly, since I never played any of the PvP enabled games pre-WoW (And somehow in my Lineage 2 days never got caught up in it)

40k Tabletop... eh... I had some bad experiences involving someone I swear was cheating the mechanics so they could wipe out my squad of Space Marines with their squad of Gretchins. >_>

Since people are talking about non MMO combat in games as well, I would like to nominate Kingdom Under Fire - Crusades / Heroes. That was fun because of the strategic use of various military units that you really needed in addition to the Hero you controlled. I wouldn't mind seeing in a later episode a full scale battle with Avatars having groups of soldiers of various classes at their disposal fighting... whatever. PvE. Each other. XD

Time Lord likes this.
  2. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

Oh, no. I read "game" in the title and figured any game was appropriate.

As far as the BEST video game combat, I'll have to think on that a bit.

I really enjoyed The Last Remnant's combat system (and the structure behind it). It's too bad that game had some serious issues. I really enjoyed it. Up 'til it stopped loading, of course. xD

I'm probably forgetting something I enjoyed more, but that's what jumps out...

Sent from my EVA Unit-01 using Tapatalk

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Squire

Squire Avatar

Yay for Eldar! ;)

I'm sure it was, but I'm afraid I don't have time for a game with is all about combat and no RP whatsoever.

That's the war game. I'm talking about the RPGs - Dark Heresy, Rogue Traders, etc. Although the wargame is good too...but unless those gretchins all had super-powerful weapons with a high AP (I don't know the Orks codex so I don't know what they can/can't have), it's very unlikely that that could have happened. Space marines are really tough, and have a ridiculously high armour save.

4. Curt

Curt Avatar

One part of combat from Neverwinter i would like is double tapping a direction key made you dodge/tumble in that direction (different depending on class but)

5. Trok00

Trok00 Avatar

DDO had a great combat system, really enjoyed it.

6. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

I was a big fan if an old game called die by the sword. Each numpad number corresponded to the four cardinal directions plus four angles to swing your sword. Id be up for a bit more action in my rpg combat but very little. Either it should be turn based ir action based i dont care if ppl say its unfair to slow connections. Combat is based on reaction speed so gaming should be no different. The genre shouldnt be held back because someone whines about their speed on dialup. I havent had a ping over 100 in years and miliseconds difference isnt going to be that noticeable. Id say something slightly more like dark souls with a bit more strategy.

Turn based combat is fair sure but imo it belongs in single player games. Besides life isnt fair. I hate it when devs design with the lowest common denominator in mind

Aeryk likes this.
  7. Dulgrand

Dulgrand Avatar

I will talk about MMO only, since I find single-player combat completely different from MMO combat mechanics.

I really, really liked Neverwinter combat. I don't play this game anymore, but still have my level 60 GWF, GF and TR 12k+ GS. Fast control responses and very skill-based. Of course, like any MMO, your gear counts A LOT, and there's a lot of grinding too but, talking about combat and not taking deep thoughts in consideration, it was the best MMO combat I've ever played.

Other that I loved are: Mortal Online, The Secret World, SWTOR and AoC.
    I heard a lot of good comments about Tera Online and I tried a couple days, but all those guys playing as underaged hentai girls really (I mean REALLY) gave me no mood for some serious PvP and to be interested in combat any further.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Im an Official UO supporter so ill say the UO of old was the best before the takeover. I also think that combat in Archeage is the best ive seen although ive never played it, If i was Korean i would say absolutly the best combat system, its still in Korea, but will be coming to the states soon enough.

As far as Tble top rpgs,D&D, AD&D, Cyberpunk, and Rifts, those i think were the best set up for combat.

Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
  9. Alazar

Alazar Avatar

Mount & Blade: Warband. Accurate and realistic movements I've ever seen, beautiful but hard to play if you're newbie.

Luitpold and monxter like this.
  10. Veylen The AenigmA

Why do the mmos have to be action based? They lose some rpg elements by doing so. I wouldnt be against a semi turn based one that had you agility fill up a little meter to determine how fast you got your turn that way its not simple strictly turn by turn. Like 3d final fantasy 2 or three( the best ones imo) ps. Sephiroth sucks:p

11. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

This may sound old-fashioned of me, but I have always loved turn-based combat in RPGs. Ultima V/VI I loved. And also the combat in the Sega Phantasy star II & VI games on Mega Drive. I really missed that when U7 came around.

It will be interesting to see how combat evolves in SotA.

12. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

yeah i loved phantasy star!!! played it all the time! you just brought back some fond memories!

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Veylen The AenigmA

When i tried warhammer i always got smeared by like the third level im used to warcraft 3 and i never got the warhammer style down.

14. monxter

monxter Avatar

Been playing the M & B Warband since it's release. I started a new single player campaign yesterday :D
    I still play online too. What a blast that game has been, though the learning curve is pretty steep.

Luitpold, Jambot and Peyote like this.
  15. fumblefingers

fumblefingers Avatar

Yes Lord of the Rings was fun,and your so right, them wanting you to have to pay to go to areas you long ago lvl through was stupid. combat in DaoC better them most in siege. Tera, smooth but to cartoony, Same for Aion, . Vanguard, if not so buggy. Runes of Magic, same as WoW, way to much grind for armor. Guild Wars2 just couldn't get into playing it. and the list could go on and on.
    Funny now that i think about it , Ultima was as good as it gets for the time and age of the game .No one has actually came up with anything that make you stop and say wow, this is so real and life like. So guess have to say give me what we had in Ultima in 3d i'd be happy camper.

16. Alazar

Alazar Avatar

Road to King!!

monxter likes this.
  17. monxter

monxter Avatar

Absolutely, but this time it's the Queen :D I had to try every way to rule the kingdom :p

Peyote likes this.
  18. Alazar

Alazar Avatar

You got guts to play as woman haha sadly true and multiplayer conquests are awesome, i'm going to play right now!

monxter likes this.
  19. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

Which edition , @Akeashar?

I played up til 5th as Orks, Tau, Eldar (had a brutal wraithguard list, only ever lost with it once), and Dark Angels.

I ask because in 5th ed., I often dedicated a squad of 30 grots (90 pts lol) to obliterating assault type squads (~6 space marines, tau suits, daemons, any small points-heavy squad without invul saves), with the boyz taking on tougher targets. For as much as they're loved, standard space marines are extremely squishy.

Anyway, grots really are ridiculously strong. A squad of 30 can very easily inflict 8+ saves when shooting against T4 models, and I've seen my Runtherds with grot-prods take down Wraithlords woth a good WAAAGGHH!!

Very underrated unit, much like javelin skink skirmishers were in fantasy. Plus grotz lore > boyz lore.

what was he doing that had you thinking exploit?

Sent from my EVA Unit-01 using Tapatalk

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Akeashar

Akeashar Avatar

Not sure the exact edition but it was during the early/mid 90s. But was my first and last experience with the board game to date, and basically was a situation of his gretchin/ork mix squad in position all behind cover in buildings, with him having the victory condition of 'stay put' and mine being 'go scout in X rounds' and ended brutally after a couple of rounds.

... I got him back tho later on by killing him horribly in every tabletop RPG we played. My personal favourite involved declaring (and executing) Terminatus on the planet his PC was on. >_>

That or the plaque in the middle of a corridor of a Ray of Disintegration that read 'If you read this, you've just been disintegrated'. Everyone made the saving throw to get through the corridor. He made a roll to notice the plaque... he didn't make the roll vs disintegration after he went back in to read it. XD

crossbowsoda likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.