What game had the best combat mechanics?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Veylen The AenigmA, Jan 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

Oh, gosh. x_x Grots often fulfilled a different purpose back then (stepping stones), but were quite possibly the protege of Gork & Mork. 8) cunnin' & brutal

Back then, beating Orks in that circumstance will have been a challenge for any army!

I can understand how that'd be frustrating, but if you still have any models lying around, I encourage you to give 40k/Fantasy another go! It's a much more balanced and tactically sound game now (if you have the patience to learn the new ruleset).

Sent from my EVA Unit-01 using Tapatalk

Time Lord and Akeashar like this.
  2. Aeryk

Aeryk Avatar

For this genre, Aion did a pretty fantastic job of making combat flow without turning it into a twitch fest. The squad based combat was fantastic. The mass battles and fighting while flying intense.

3. barkleyjer

barkleyjer Avatar

I loved the freedom in UO and the changing combat dynamics over time.

Most of the online games I have played have had good combat engines, DAoC, Shadowbane... Sieges in Shadowbane were glorious...

plmarcondes likes this.
  4. Dadalama

Dadalama Avatar

Mount and Blade Warband

it's fun as hell playing a mounted archer. Though it takes a long time to get good at it.

Luitpold and enderandrew like this.
  5. BIGGUNSAR

BIGGUNSAR Avatar

morrow wind and UO
    Morrow wind because you were more immersed and had to aim.

UO, because it's UO man.....Do i gotta explain it 8)

plmarcondes, Ara and blaquerogue like this.
  6. deadq

deadq Avatar

I liked AOC combat. Combos could be built on the fly and changed. Active blocking could also be changed to help you depending on what type of weapon/magic another player was using.

7. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

I think 'Pong' had great combat, lots of back and forth with a very useful blocking ability.

BillRoy, Jambot, NRaas and 2 others like this.
  8. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

Me and my bro had that, plugged into the aerial socket i think!, Played it all Xmas til it broke, took it back to the shop and got our money back, Result!, Could have been the first ever video game exchange!

9. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

And a simple combat and pvp mode! no cards no chance, no randomness!

Ara likes this.
  10. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

To me conan combat was a step back i mean why in the world would you want to make someone use fve keystrokes to execute one move that traditionally could be done with one button. Especially when casting took one button last i played it was horrbly balanced between one button casters and five button keypress melee

11. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

It depends. Batman: Arkham Asylum had great flowing combat. But I really enjoyed the turn-based tactical combat of Final Fantasy Tactics as well.

Jambot likes this.
  12. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

In all honesty I'd have to say Goat Simulator.
    Straight foreward, intuitive and to the point, this game doesn't mess around...it simply has no flaws.

NRaas and monxter like this.
  13. Hawkins

Hawkins Avatar

I ever played a Japanese game, the combat system is truly unique. Quick combat system usually doesn't have much tactics introduced, it's just hack'n slash. The combat system in that Japanese game is much slower one. First, you have to spend some time for the tank to build up his shield, before tank successfully build up the shield, the combat is very unstable. Everyone will bear a chance to die instantly. Only after the tank successfully built up the shield that you start to think about how to become offensive. During the shield building process, everyone (every class) in the team must make no mistake, or else the shield building process may fail which may destroy the team as a whole (especially during boss raiding). The healer must pay full attention save his mana for only the tank, he has to make a very good comprise on who should receive his healing. If his mana is wrongly used on a class which leading to the failure of healing that tank (and other crucial classes), the whole team will fail. The bard is responsible for buffing the tank, he has timely and correctly buff the tank, any mistake he made may fail to buff the tank correctly and will destroy the team. Basically, the tank, the healer and the bard is a critical triangle, anyone of them falls down, the team as a whole will normally fail.

On the other hand, the monsters will show signals before each attach, such that a skillful player (especially the rogue) can bear a chance to pre-read what the intension of the monsters is. Say, before a boss is going to launch a death blow, a status bar will show certain signals which could indicate this. You cannot be 100% certain about what the signals mean, but as a skillful player you can make good guesses. In fighting a boss, the role of a rogue becomes very critical. He must be experienced enough to make guess on the signals shown, such that he will be able to land his interception spell to stop the boss. If he failed to guess to a certain precision, or if he failed to land his interception spell, the boss could insta-kill one of the members. If the one killed is either the tank, or the healer or the bard, then the whole team is done. In this game, it is truly tactically in order to win a boss. Only a highly cooperative team, will real experience (such as pre-read enemy actions) plus some luck that you can slowly bring a party of enemies (boss or another team of players).

14. magixredux

magixredux Avatar

There are many games which did a great job creating interesting combat systems. I could easily list several dozen but I would rather not. The worst games revolve heavily around randomly generated events in which the player has little control over. You are left praying to the RNG gods for good results and are all too often left standing by at the mercy of a dice roll. It takes the consistency out of a game, and makes it very difficult to devise a strategy that you are capable of relying on. Since SoTA will be rely heavily on RNG to generate your moves, it will almost certainly make for frustrating combat.

When you initiate combat what moves will be available? Must you first go up and land an auto attack to generate your first set of spells? That sounds like a pretty terrible way to initiate in combat, most strategy games have several opener moves that you would throw out first followed by other followups or counters. As the fight progresses the player with better luck will tend to win, and that's all you can expect about 50/50, sometimes you get good results other times poor results. No skill required in rng, just pure luck.

15. Radicast

Radicast Avatar

Ultima Online where i had almost every spell Macroed was the best imo the limitations to hotbars is just that limited

16. baronandy

baronandy Avatar

chivalery

for mmos

i like age of conan

and what i really like is the directional blocking from mortal

so you have mid, right and left block

when someone swing he have to charge a hit (if its charged for a second it do more dmg) so here is the time to watch for the oponent if he charge from left or right or do a mid attack. if you block in the right direction you get 0 dmg and can do a fast counter hit

sadly they did the rest of the combat not so well like animations balancing mounted combat and more but the blocking system is awesome in an mmo.

17. tamino

tamino Avatar

Sui Generis

Mount & Blade

Chivalry

UO

Age of Conan

Upcoming:

Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Luitpold likes this.
  18. Malf

Malf Avatar

DAOC UO

19. redfish

redfish Avatar

:D

[​IMG]

:D :D :D

One of the best concepts for combat I've seen was in Darklands, which was a mix of real time and turn based. Not everything was perfect about it. As far as I know, you couldn't load a bow and move with it, for one. Obviously, it would be hard to apply to a MMO which by necessity is real time.

[​IMG]

tradyblix likes this.
  20. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Humm Good Question !

Maybe Age of Conan !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.