What I think PVP needs and how it can be improved

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Duke William of Serenite, Nov 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

I heard this was being looked at but first of all we need PVP zones that have levels. So a level 100 cant enter the same zone as a level 10.

Next a capture the flag type zone where the team that takes the flag has access to a castle for defense with a chest like we have at the control points.

Archers can stand on ramparts walls with wizards while melee below keeps the enemies of their backs.

We have castles in game and control points have flags already, so its not a far stretch.

Instead of shooting down the post, put what you think we need for pvp. Maybe with enough good ideas the devs will read it.

2. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

Oh my, and I read that first as, being the first post of a thread, you already heard about this thread being locked. Silly me.

I don't PVP, don't care for it, but you guys really do need some PVP loving. Something that doesn't force me into it. And even though PVP is a smaller group, and is pointless for people like me, and for those people that want to play the single player RPG, but you guys do need some loving.

3. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

Once a day at a random time teleport all flagged people into an arena.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  4. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Some stuff planned/in the works include castle siege/control type scenarios and temporary titles or buffs or soemthing as reward for success, and the pvp zones forcing a skill/level cap is indeed a thing being looked at.

Something I wouldnt mind seeing Would be to have the guild war system incorporate Quest/Missions that involved sabotage and hits and stuff on other PvP guilds. Also i would like to see Guild wars incorporate the level capping of the PvPers involved by agreement of both guilds if they decide to do level capping in ceretain PvP zones.

hmmm. Wishlist forum would b e a good place for this

5. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Nope no level limits. Player base is segregated enough. And frankly they don't have resources to make that good enough.

You need depth not a CTF mingame alone. And rely on the players making the content and guiding new players. Thats why I suggest more sandbox elements. If I had a reason to make an army id be spending my time mentoring newbs. You can make them PVP ready in a week. Has been shown by Kor as well if you dont believe me. If we got something on top of that CTF minigame... giving it a context and meaning then be my guest. But just putting out an arena is another shallow mechanic.

I don't want to repeat my whole thread here.. you can find it here in the Wishlist section. I would strongly advice to not do anything that seperates players from each other. Rather give incentives to make high level players protect others and help them level up faster.

Also I would not add mini-game content. If you implement a CTF instance give it superordinate systems like Factions, Guild War, Conquest mechanics. Else it will just be dismissed as another grind.

We were by far the largest group backing this project :) Everything post Kickstarter was largely about UO2 hype.

In theme park MMOs you usually have the highest amount of pure PVE players. A sandbox usually comes with a mix of both. Most people fit into both camps and want both. It is hard to draw a line here and there shouldn't be any to be frank. Gameplay systems need to work together, intertwining PVE and PVP mechanics.
    I appreciate that you understand that this game needs more player interaction and competition for the online part. I am also a RP fan, if it is done good, and I like good questing or meaningful missions etc.

SotA was expected by many a step back into simulating a virtual world, rather than pleasing different groups - bring them together again. I'd wish we could try that with all playstyles compromising. Because else I am afraid, as we have never reached a critical mass of players, this game will run out of cash flow. At some point the people in their empty POTs will feel the angst that their investment was a mistake, because it will very likely stay empty... In fact that would be their best marketing point. Simulate a world again. Lots of PVP sandboxes miss the RP and Quest part. Yes they have more players/dev hours than games that got popular for their PVE (WoW, FF), but like I said - SotA could be unique in that regard. Like Star Wars Galaxies was.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  6. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

I had written something similar then deleted mine. The rewrote it again, then decided nothing else needed to be said....Thanks for doing my work for me...

I do like the ideas stated in the op but part of a much bigger, deeper system and not just something tacked on to fight over for giggles.

There's a lot about the world that lends itself to a fantastic environment for faction/guild control. Even the instance system, hated by many can be utilised to its advantage. This is why i haven't given up and i presume others as well, the potential for a fabulous system is already built into the fabric of the land. I want the devs to dream and think big, it might take numerous implementations until something is perfect but i want them to reach for perfection......reach for the stars!

7. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

Until they allow one account, two characters, this is unworkable for me and many players similar to myself. My main character is always going to be a slow boat ride, enjoy the scenery, refrain from rushing to end content kind of character.

If I could have an Alt on my one account? Okay... now, I could see taking part in some PvP on what I would look at as a "throwaway" character. A character that I would have no problem kitting out and then going to play the part of a murderer for a few weeks or join in epic brawls. A character that I won't care to follow the story and seek out quests, but just want to race to the top and play PvP.

Not on my main and I'll still end up playing my main quite a bit more.

Just like when they kicked off the NGE in SWG and gave all of us a second character slot. I must have made and deleted that second, toss away, slot a half dozen times and still spent most of my time playing my primary character.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    Alley Oop likes this.
  8. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

What PVP Needs.... To be put out of its misery until some other aspects of the game can be completed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.