What if auto attack was removed alltogether?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Aetrion, Nov 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

What I don't like about auto attack is that it creates two classes of characters. For every possible encounter there will be characters that have enough armor, hitpoints and auto attack damage to simply stand there and win, and there will be characters who will lose the fight unless the player intervenes by moving around, using abilities and so on. I don't like the idea of a fight that you can't lose, and in fact, I'm pretty sure that I have already seen people simply going AFK in the middle of a spawn of monsters that pose no mechanical threat to them simply so that their character kills them for XP completely on his own.
    I just think it's very difficult to effectively balance two different characters where one is basically guaranteed to win no matter what the player does, while the other can actually lose. If the mage is more effective to make up for the higher risk he takes then that also leaves the game unbalanced, because it practically forces higher skilled players to go for the mage types. It's just better to have some symetry in the system from my perspective.

KuBaTRiZeS and Net like this.
  2. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Nah... it's good, trust me.

3. King Dane

King Dane Avatar

On the side topic of SWG jedi, I agree that the hidden class wasn't sustainable in the long run, but it was amazing early on. I recall sitting at my friend's house, watching him infiltrate a sith meeting in which a dev posed as Darth Sideous (as if that wasn't cool enough). Sideous was going on about the dark side giving a speech to all his sith folk, and then he stops and mutters, "There is a spy a among us." Then without warning, he attacks my friend, and so another sith, who was actually a jedi spy, steps in to save him and dramatically yells, "Get out of here!" In the end, Sideous killed every light side person there (all two of them), but what else could be expected of a master of all lightsaber forms and the force itself?

Net, Heradite and mikeaw1101 like this.
  4. Ridd2

Ridd2 Avatar

Just remove Auto-Attack all together.

Its dated and boring.

Add a basic attack that is not in the deck you have to actively use rather than point click /go to sleep.

TroubleMagnet likes this.
  5. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

OMG why do you want to make me click so much when i am farming leather? :'(

KuBaTRiZeS and Moonshadow like this.
  6. TroubleMagnet

TroubleMagnet Avatar

I like the idea of getting rid of auto-attacks as they are now. Replace them with a zero focus cost attack that you get when you spend at least one point on in a tree. If people really want allow toggling it on auto-cast but using any other ability to turn it off. Not really a fan of that last idea, but it seems harmless enough.

This would also open up having this ability improve or new ones opening up as you put more points into the tree to represent passive mastery of it. You might have some improvement be possible through spending points as well, although I like the idea of at least some bonus from dumping a ton of points into one tree.

You could even remove some or all passive in-combat focus regeneration and make it depend on using these weaker abilities to regain it. This would require adding decent versions of these free skills for the magic trees as well and would be a welcome replacement for how staves and wands work now, since they seem fairly useless currently.

Tarsin likes this.
  7. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

If auto-attack was removed altogether, among many others, mages wouldnt have a way to fend off or 'wrestle' anyone while they cast. Having auto-attack is good because it provides depth to building your own character. I respect your points of view, however I wish for auto-attack to remain. I'm not opposed to changing how auto-attack performs, but its critical to feeling your character improve in regards to attack speed and damage output, as well as encumbrance. You'd have to scrap the entire combat system altogether to improve upon the missing feature. Please keep Auto-Attack.

Leos and Moonshadow like this.
  8. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

Remove auto attack. Replace the pain-in-the-rear slug glyphs/cards with the basic attack ability for the weapon in hand.

Heradite, licemeat and Keira OFaolain like this.
  9. Katu

Katu Avatar

Definitely no, do not remove it.

UO handled auto attack dexer vs mage fights. Mages will be viable against warriors, can't expect balance right now. Removing auto attack would just make fighting annoying click festival. If someone can fight mob afk, i don't think they get that much reward from it, so let them fight it afk. In UO, you could set your character to auto attack monster, but once it died, you did not automatically attack to other mobs, even if they attack you. That eliminates the case, where someone would leave their char farming overnight.

When i'm leveling, i might be watching some movie at the same time. I don't wanna use 100% of my focus ( i mean my own ability to concentrate ) just to fight something that is considered easy for my character and good for farming.

So no, don't remove it.

Leos, Drakkar2 and DavenRock [MGT] like this.
  10. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

Hell, we already have two extreme combat UI choices.. Fully locked, fully random deck, and everything in between. Might as well have an auto-attack focus skill.

11. YuriGaDaisukiDa

YuriGaDaisukiDa Avatar

i like the opposite way

give mages an auto attack.

o wait they did. we have wands and staffs now. we just need them balanced so they scale with magic like swords do with melee

Hettar and MalakBrightpalm like this.
  12. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

It's the rare part that won't happen. You seem to not understand that this game will be played over the internet. It will have hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of players. Damn near every single one of them will eventually want to play a mage, even if only part time. There will be mages EVERYWHERE. There already are!

If those mages are allowed to be more powerful than the rest of the players, that will make them MORE popular, nobody wants to PvP with the 'target dummy' class. People want to win. So the more powerful mages become, the LESS rare they will be.

Forcibly making them rare gives us SWG. Which reaction, BTW, I predicted in week one when my buddy told me about the game and the fact that you couldn't choose to be a Jedi, you had to earn it. It's basic human nature, and utterly predictable.

KuBaTRiZeS and Tahru like this.
  13. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

You are talking about entitlement MMOs and there is plenty of those, but my hope is that SotA is not one of those. It is that kind of philosophy that sold me on this game. Yes, it may be old school in thought, but it something I loved and appreciate to this day. I want a challenge in combat, I would rather not have "auto-attack" but I know that not possible....magic on the other hand, it is still possible to make it rare and powerful.

Keira OFaolain likes this.
  14. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

No, dude, I'm not talking about entitlement MMOs. And no, it's NOT possible to have magick be both rare and powerful. You may attempt at ONE, not both. You may get neither.

Hettar and Aetrion like this.
  15. recon0303

recon0303 Avatar

Auto attack needs to go ,because this is part of what makes this combat boring, it needs to be sped up a bit..

Aion had a lot of Auto attacking which is why I left that game 2 weeks after release.. zzzzz

16. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

"Entitlement MMO" must be the dumbest freaking buzzword that gets thrown around on this forum. This whole notion that some portion of people must fail at it for the game to be good is completely insane and unsustainable. Once everyone who wasn't "good enough" has left then what? Tighten the screws some more and wash out a whole new group of people to maintain an elite? What if everyone meets your arbitrary standard for who gets to be powerful and who doesn't? What then? Is the game any better off because it reached the point where everyone is equal with half as many players?

The only way you can have an elite in a game is if you build it on the premise that they work for the betterment of the community. Guild Leaders, Community Organizers, Fansite Webmasters, Fanmedia Creators - THAT is the one true elite in an MMO, not people who want more powerful characters than the average player and try to defend this by throwing buzzwords around.

Heradite likes this.
  17. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

18. Net

Net Avatar

Auto attack is boring and bad mechanic imho. Besides I keep atttacking people because of it, even though I do not wish to attack them, I hope we will have at least option not to use it.

Tarsin and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  19. jmtran16

jmtran16 Avatar

I like this idea. I can understand that for deck drawing it would be bad, but I think it would make combat more flexible. I like being able to swing my sword any time I want, and be dependent of that rather than waiting for the next coming strike. As a matter of fact, I think all forms (melee, range, and magic) should have a basic of some sort depending on what weapon you have. I think that a single target auto attack can be limiting. It hurts the freedom that the game is displaying so well.

Just my thoughts on this. =)

Shadoweaver likes this.
  20. Shadoweaver

Shadoweaver Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.