What if? Let it happen.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by majoria70, Aug 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Ya I know, but thats the case for almost every system we have, over promised and overly simple (Ex. Seiges, PVP). My point being, there are far more important things to work on. For example, look at the new dungeon things going in. Look at all the people really interested in them and already spending a lot of money on them. We need to be focused on the things like this that will bring in money to the developers and bring in and keep vastly more people then fishing.

People just assume I disagree with them on fishing. I would absolutely love to see better fishing and I would actually fish. I would simply prefer them to focus on more important things to make the game survive. If this new dung system brings in 5 mil bucks to the game then I say go for a HUGE fishing system with some of those resources.

Fishing is simply not that important with the issues in this game right now and I see this system as being one that the small niche of dev favorite people keep getting their ears pulled on, things that have put this game where it is right now with population. If the dev's put half the time they put into dance parties into PVP, we would be rocking one of the best PvP systems in gaming (insert any other important system in exchange for "PvP").

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    Gregg247 and Lord Trady of Blix like this.
  2. Floors

Floors Avatar

The things that are important to me are getting items fixed, like the cabinet of virtues. That's such a cool item, and it's been broken for 4 months. Just fix the animation ? How hard can it be.... fixing items like unplacable quest items, fixing belts that totally unbalance combat... That should be priority #1 especially when they have JIRAs for that.

Then focus on Dungeon building, fishing enhancements and what not. Fix what we already have first !!

If you give people cool things in a game that they come to treat as their own, in their own house, and then progressively break those things after launch... even if it's a low priority in terms of overall bugs.. that has an affect on the psychology of your players. It honestly should not even be happening... if you have to slow releases down to one every 3 months, that's better than breakign stuff and leaving it broken for over a year, like the birdbath....

3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I don't disagree that dungeon building is possibly a big draw to bring players back. What I do question is ethics, lack of ability to focus and complete tasks. The last 20 percent was supposed to do that. Lack of budget is a problem I know. I don't request decent updates for every system in the game to hinder it but for other reasons such as quality and longevity of the game. Systems with basics we can build upon later at a more successful state of the game. Does anyone think the fishing system is good in this game? Agriculture definitely is lacking. Taming has gotten some love but is still lacking. Cooking never got anymore skills and on and on maybe because of low budget but imo not because of that totally. For a game with so many possibilities still open to it lack of focus to complete much of anything above a basic barebones is imo the biggest killer of this game. Do we trust that this wont happen even on the latest and greatest dungeon building system? I say show us. Let even one day a week be spent on a decent fishing update to make it rich and deserving of this game and then on to other systems still needing love. The rest can be dungeon building since that is the financial pull. In the long run it won't be one thing that speaks for this game but a combination of the systems of this game. Too many of these fail so far and we still have great possibilities I do still believe this but get these things ticked off one by one showing consistent progress to us. Stand up notes show 2 measly days of work on fishing. No updates to water shown at all no bait types mentioned or not much on design or tech either but hopefully still to come. So fight for the game with me community. This is only one neglected system.

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  4. Mingo Ebonmark

Mingo Ebonmark Avatar

@majoria70 Are the upcoming fishing improvements satisfactory? It sounds great to me.

Cordelayne likes this.
  5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hello there. Well it was very interesting. I want to thank the developers @DarkStarr, @Lord British, for taking on this challenge for the game. I am so happy to hear of plans to make this system much more improved. I have a few things I would still ask for to be considered but overall perhaps those will be easier to implement after the initial data dumps and water updates happen to get this thing started. So overall I heard a lot of positives they say they will implement. Our pirates won't want to hear that fishing is just harvesting. We have big dreams for this system. We want to deep sea fish and catch those sharks and sea monsters one day in the future so anything we can do to plan ahead please please lets do.

I am happy to hear of the different bait types mattering, different poles needed for different situations, and that at least we get some trophy fish that will be special weights. I know it was mentioned adding weights to fish would make too many individual objects and it wasn't sure how to handle that so at least trophy fish will give the variant that some fish are heavier than others which imo was definitely needed to make the system more versatile.

I am happy they found a work around at least for this necessary part of the system. I was also happy to hear water types will get love now and be very beautiful and interesting every where. If fighting for fishing brought nothing more than this then this is surely valuable to the game imo.

Chris lights up about Dungeon Creation and combat but fishing nah. lol but its ok @Chris. You are doing great with the Dungeons and Combat work. So I commend you all for taking this on to give all parts of the game a quality feel.

It is Fishing's turn. So let it shine.

So one thing I didn't especially like to hear as an excuse is "Fishing is Harvesting and should be relaxing". Ummmm no fishing is fishing imo. It is it's own entity to create and deserves to be created with depth and interest. So it is up to us to rally for that to happen. I could be nit picking but to me it did sound a bit limiting to what I had pictured for this system, so here's hoping once we get started it will grow to it's potential.

Ok so from what we know:

-We will get water more water types. Right now we have Land and 1 water type
    originally it was going to be salt water and fresh water. Then more water types were decided on. So we will get salt water, fetid water, fresh water, and lava water types. Also IMO please @DarkStarr make our Icy Biome waters work again. They used to work years ago and do not now. I would love to see us drill holes in the water like a node that disappears after a short amount of time. Maybe it would be easier than we think to do this @Bsus???? Can you check? *crosses fingers*

So per the livestream skill tree shows and imo this could change since these seemed to be first thoughts *again crosses fingers for great ideas from our great minded Devs*:

Fishing proficiency, bait recovery, fresh water, salt water, fetid water, and lava. Not sure how that will work as skills since it is water types but we shall see.

-Bait and Rod/Pole types will effect fishing success. Using the right types of these will give better success.
    So different Rod types and bait types. Rod for lava will be different with lures that don't melt so they will probably use gems
    -fish types for water types such as tuna for salt water, eels, sharks, lava fish, and famous versions of fish too

-normal fish stack but Trophy fish will not and will have weight and data and caught by who data which I love that idea.
    -so we will get improved fishing loot and I expect later in EP 2 message in a bottle but who knows perhaps sooner than later surprises;)

-we will get more recipes

-we will get fishing supplies

And remember to rally your ideas for fishing to not be just a gathering skill. It is fishing. We need surprises and fun. It doesn't have to be full out combat but some aggressive crabs, sharks etc could bite your butt. Later when boating comes out we will catch sea monsters and Krakens perhaps and sea battles. So lets plan ahead for that if possible. Over all lots of good news today. Thanks so much Devs.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

We do need to be able to fish in our icy waters as well again.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  6. 3devious

3devious Avatar

You might get more of @Chris' buy in if you mention that fishing in PVP areas could be very dangerous as you would have to secure the area because you would be busy fishing. He could even make it so that combat would scare timid fish away or might attract ocean predators. I don't know how much critters get attracted to noise in this game. Might be something to think about. I assume that Hellen Keller can hear me coming in my full plate so it is something I hadn't given any thought to but folks who are responsible for the whole thing might want to consider it if they haven't already.

7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I love the idea. Very sneaky ;). Also in WOW certain fish had to be gotten in a pvp area and I know some would complain of it but in WOW it was just the way it was and we were used to it. I would even occasionally do pvp events if we had something like Wintergrasp for our trials. I loved doing Wintergrasp and I am not normally a pvper in games but for this event it was a daily that I usually did but add some factions in the trials and weighpoints, flags, quests, make it a large raid where factions could heal and buff each other and no measly little parties of 8 but everyone coming in joined the faction for some action ;) A little cartoony seeming but really it was lots of excitement to me. For some reason so easy to see all that was going on which I do miss in our UI.

Gabriel Nightshadow and 3devious like this.
  8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Of course we need motorboats.

Feeyo, evillego6 and majoria70 like this.
  9. 3devious

3devious Avatar

That sounds awesome but if we get motorboats, so do Kobolds and maybe Elves which the next logical step leads to halfeves which means... the Legendary Bow Lord @Jarikith would have a-
    I reported your post on the grounds that a future too terrible to think about might be possible.
    Just kidding, but consider the consequences before putting dangerous ideas where @Atos can find them. :p

10. ship2

ship2 Avatar

Last time I checked I could do crafting, but it sucked so hard I haven't played since. The point was, people need to enjoy playing... or they leave. Your firm belief their desire is irrelevant, is irrelevant.

Humbert_Humbert likes this.
  11. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

I think catching a kraken on a fishing line is a silly idea...... Maybe if they implemented whaling fleets.....

Amelli likes this.
  12. Lady Kathleen

Lady Kathleen Avatar

Ok here is an idea for you fisher people....

You go to a pirate ship and charter a fishing trip....

If you catch enough fish to feed the crew during your trip then you are given honorary pirate statue..... But if not.... They throw you overboard...

What you think?

13. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Have them bring excess cargo to my pirate galleon, I will rather have that instead of throwing them overboard. R/Boris/El Pirata

3devious and Lady Kathleen like this.
  14. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Seriously speaking though. I am not a fisherman in game, I am a pirate and a swashbuckler. If fishing makes many of you enjoy the game then i am all for it. One thing to keep in mind is we need to bring in new players so @majoria70, how about a new thread with 2 things everyone can ask for with a theme to attract new players. Since we are talking about fishing and ships maybe a fishing/pirate related livestream stretch goal is in order. I know you have also done a post with recommendations on new attire so spin @DarkStarr up on it. R/Boris/El Pirata.

Synergy Blaize likes this.
  15. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

Well said Majoria70 .. I see you trying to help give feedback on upcoming systems so that they can be richer than what we have here. I think this is a good idea and I hope Port is listening to more than a handful of people in that endeavor. I think though that we should give them a bit more notice and maybe make it a monthly post of system enhances that would be beneficial. We have to realize they are an indie game though and we can't really expect AAA quality, but some quirky uniqueness might be a good draw. I think pushing the revamped quest system to episode 2 is a bad idea. The big problem there is that questing is a basic system; so if it is broken in the existing released game, you can't make that an advertising point for episode 2 and you won't draw new people now or in the future on that.

Next is pvpā€¦ I know this is cheaper to make content as the players themselves provide the challenge and I won't begrudge the love it needs, but as a person that PVEs and is happy to play target practice in fun PvP, lets not make all the balance changes based on PvP, lets maybe make PVP content specific to benefit PvP. You might draw more PVErs if you could make it a bit less oppressively dangerous. I can't tell you how tired I am of games giving PVPers a quicker way to level and get better gear that impacts PVE more than what PVEr can do for PVE content. I don't want to hear that whole risk vs reward argument either. If it is fun and interesting, you will get people to do it. You should not need to passively entice PVErs by putting better PVE loot and crafting mats in a PVP area. Seriously if you need to do that, then PVP needs help. So maybe we can get an idea of what area to focus on for the next couple of releases ahead and give the devs some good feedback on that. What would be your next system you would work on that you think a basic new player or an old player has the biggest beef with? I think Port also needs to let us know what is realistically reasonable. I will list top areas (1-9 being the more important followed by the others for expansion):

1. quest system
    2. Loot - this needs a big balance shift to more interesting, better the harder the mob, some rng okay, but not if the rng yields more lower junk items.
    3. crafting: specifically cooking, alcohol, equipment slot item increase, more consumables for each crafting tree, specializations (you are working on that), better breakdown from all loot (including candles, yokes, etc.)
    4. combat combos and reagent consumption (maybe better ways to obtain some of these) - an auto attack style for those of us that want to be pure magic
    5. better player ability to passively heal with giving other benefits to player (buffs, debuffs without damage)
    6. Enhance the single player game to be more single player specific. I should be able to do a lot more here with each quest completion than I can in the multi option.
    7 . POTs need more encouragement for people to live in them and better deco limits and movement options and other options to make people want to live in them; town resident specific buffs, special rotating boss mobs, etc..
    8 . Deco placement options: scaling, different axis rotation
    9. Meaningful PvP, but fun that PVErs will want to do without being PVE forced into it. I think asking both sides what they would like for this type of play would be a good start.
    10. Faction buildup - maybe I get friendly with a certain region and that unlocks new things I can do or benefit from for putting a good deal of effort into that faction change.
    10. environment impaction - seeing a change in the word through our actions over a 4 month period
    11. encouragement of exploration - achievement system or some other overarching massive quest with findable hints along the way
    12. deeper development of virtue or faction type of impact to the character and other interactions - maybe tie into environmental impact.
    13. love the dungeon system with player crafted quest ideas, but expectations need to be established as well - something that can enhance roleplay as well as mobs, questing, puzzles, layouts that can be impacted - some of that could be multi expansion based.
    14. An idea of what players expect from expansions: thinks like playable races, new combat trees (bard, shaman, etc), new mobs obviously, land masses, but new features as well, and skill increases with the occasional new player areas to encourage new players to want to buy further expansions.

16. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

Wow @Cirsee
    I LOVE, Love, love.... ALL of your suggestions!

17. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

I would also like to suggest that we give the devs feedback on what we do like in the game.

I can start by saying I love how the mobs are very reactive.. they try to get behind me confuse me, etc. I think that is better than most games I play.
    Bits of story in exploration, like a note and such
    Integrated music in game
    persistent housing
    The night sky and all its changes
    emotes for enhanced roleplay
    Interactive deco
    the deck system - I like the ability to actually use all my skills instead of just 6 or less
    the overland map .. I think this was a piece of nostalgia done quite well and unique
    the fact that you guys manage to put some much into each monthly release still impresses me
    Ability to create some of our own items like books
    Effort at live events and time limited quests, mobs
    I could go on here, but please don't get rid of these things.

FrostII and Lady Kathleen like this.
  18. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

Tier 6+ thread

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.