What is the best RPG game youve ever played on the pc and why

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by blaquerogue, Jan 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Ultima 6
    Quest for Glory 3
    Ultima Underworld 1
    Quest for Glory 4
    Skyrim
    Champions of Krynn
    Neverwinter Nights
    EverQuest 2

2. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

My favorite all time: U7 P2

Others I enjoy:
    Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
    Oblivion (Morrowind and Skyrim were fun but never quite grabbed me like Oblivion did)
    Arcanum (WHY ARE THERE NOT MORE FUN STEAMPUNK GAMES!!!!!!! *mutters bitterly for a few hours* Also, so much fun to have dialogue options based on int... wish more did this)
    KOTOR 1
    Quest for Glory 4 (love the head of the thieves guild)

Non-computer RPG:
    Dragon Quest 4
    FF6
    Legend of Dragoon

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    smack and blaquerogue like this.
  3. mass

mass Avatar

This one and Arx Fatalis have been on my 'to do' backlog list forever. Both look interesting.
    I thought both of these were great games, and more than that, the best star wars stories from anything produced by that IP.

blaquerogue and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  4. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

ive just been playing the 2016 Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (free this month for PS Plus members).

It is an amazingly deep RPG with fantastic mechanics, gorgeous visuals, and an excellent storyline.

Can't recommend it enough.

5. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

U5 is easily my one answer for this. Soooo much love for that game.

smack, Timmy Vortex and blaquerogue like this.
  6. Puuk

Puuk Developer Emeritus

Not in any particular order (single player):
    1. Planescape: Torment (best and most unique RPG world, imo)
    2. Fallout (not the Bethesda versions - decisions matter and not everything is black-&-white)
    3. Elder Scrolls: Morrowind (never finished the main story, didn't care. Was there a main story?)
    4. Ultima III: Exodus (first intro to CRPGs. Played on my girlfriend's brother's Apple IIE. Couldn't afford my own PC, then)
    5. Diablo
    6. Deus Ex
    7. KotOR
    8. Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
    9. Tyranny
    10. Ultima VI
    11. Dragon Age: Origins
    12. Baldur's Gate 2

MMOs
    1. Dark Age of Camelot (Troll Thane ftw)
    2. UO
    3. City of Heroes/Villains (I miss my villain Kaptain Kommie)
    4. WoW
    5. ESO
    6. Secret World (for the quests, combat sucked)
    7. Final Fantasy XIV (I hate anime, but I still play this once in a while because it's well done, imo)
    8. Warframe
    9. Elite: Dangerous

Looking forward to playing:
    1. Divinity: Original Sin 2
    2. Witcher 3 (this one is hard for me because I can't create my own character, but I'll get around to it)

7. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I hear ya on this! I actually avoid the main story line until the very end. It's the icing on an already delicious cake! ;)

8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well this game is a new discovery for me. It is a dungeon crawler called Grimrock 2. I like Grimrock 2 better than 1 but the first one is good too just that I felt a little confined being in the dungeon the whole time. The puzzles really keep you guessing. So if you like that type of game you may want to try it. I am bad because after a while of trying I just look up puzzle answers online. ;) I started to play Legends of Grimrock too and stopped after a while. I usually like more to my game than the dungeon crawl which Grimrock 2 handled very well to do this.

"Legend of Grimrock 2 is a dungeon crawling role playing game with a modern execution but an old school heart. A group of four prisoners have shipwrecked on the secluded Isle of Nex. The island is filled with ancient crumbled ruins, myst."

smack likes this.
  9. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

"Offline" games?

Ultima 7 - best open world game Ive ever played, with a freaking awesome story, and really moving/intriguing sidequest stories. Countless things to discover not related to the main questline, and even such a living world as to make the main questline (mostly) completely optional - you can just work, live, sleep, build, and play in that world forever.

"Online" games?

Ultima Online

Similar to above, though lacking a lot in terms of quest story engagement, though making up for it in capacity for RP. A great sandbox-like open world, where consequences matter, intelligence and awareness are always required, and cunning always triumphs over force. It has a feeling of freedom no other game has ever given me, and its why I still play it after 20 years. Plus competing against human intelligence is vastly more engaging and rewarding than repetitive, predictable, and press-button-until-win PvE stuff (note: I love PvE, and rarely directly engage via PvP - I just need its presence to make the experience real). The friendships and bonds formed in Sosaria outweigh all other gameworlds, as its toughness makes the acts of compassion, kindness, and honor far more meaningful.

UO was once best described as, "a free and open game with no goals and objectives except for those you invent for yourself."

smack likes this.
  10. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

RPG -- DD Original Sin 2 because the game just has real bite. Not only does it provide a huge number of options to work through a story, it requires some real thinking to survive it well too. Its replaced Baldur's Gate as RPG king.

MMORPG - LOTRO for its true depth of story. It is hard to beat the game's main story quest lore as well as the epic feeling of entering Moria (then the sheer elation of leaving from the other side). There was never an area of LOTRO that I didn't relate to the story.

SOTA has great potential to combine what made both of those games great. The gaming options are there and keep coming. We just need to drive the story even further through each scene in the land.

smack likes this.
  11. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Helvig Ingvildsdottir Avatar

Offline:
    Baldur's Gate and all of the Might & Magic RPGs (I started with V, then played all up till X). Always awesome story, and multiple paths to choose, non-linear storyline. Good!

Online:
    Ultima Online. For me as a RPvPer it was just the right thing. It was kind of a more violent Second Life for me. I lived in Sosaria, loved, plotted and schemed in Sosaria, and solved conflicts with violence where necessary. And it was challenging to create your own storylines and plots and involve other guilds and individuals, as little official content was offered. The game catered to a generation that had been playing outside as kids and was still able to invent things, make up games and stories on the go and entertain themselves versus the nowadays always present need to -be- entertained and consume content offered on a silver platter.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    smack and Montaigne like this.
  12. Armitage_

Armitage_ Avatar

Offline games:
    Ultima 5
    Baldur's Gate

Online games:
    Star Wars Galaxies - I loved the crafting system and the fact that it was a 100% player driven economy.
    Ultima Online - omg I spent a lot of time in Sosaria.

smack likes this.
  13. smack

smack Avatar

So many great games listed...brings back fond memories. Ultima games, the many titles from Black Isle Studios, Interplay, Obsidian, Sir-Tech, SSI Gold Box series, etc...but I'll go with something more recent:

Skyrim

Can't wait for Elder Scrolls 6 when it launches sometime in 2025...maybe.

14. dp_dropout

dp_dropout Avatar

The 2 Ultima 7 games with expansions. Not even the TES games come close to the atmosphere, freedom and storytelling.
    I was hoping for a new U7 when SotA development started but sadly we all know where that idea went...

15. rpgmaniac82

rpgmaniac82 Avatar

baldurs gate series
    neverwinter nights series
    ultima 6&7
    ultima online
    divinity original sin 1&2
    final fantasy series

not particularly in that order but i consider the baldurs gate series as my top 5 most beloved games along with ultima ofcourse:)

16. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Yeah, that game was actually really amazing. I remember talking with the taxi driver at the end for like ten minutes and going "Are you kidding me, this dialog hasn't looped yet?" And like a good taxi driver, he helped me figure out what to do.

But nothing will ever beat Deus Ex I think. I WAS JC. And the world was so reactive to my whims of how to deal with it. Like a great GM, I threw it curve balls and it hit them out of the park. There was one time I thought for sure I had broken it with a decision I made out of anger, but it just kept on rolling.

mass likes this.
  17. Hazard

Hazard Avatar

Here's a few that gave more lasting impressions over time for varying reasons:
    Zork [I remember my aerospace dad bringing a teletype or something that spit out paper as you played. Captured the imagination and killed some trees, no doubt. Played later on a pc]
    Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves [Stuart Smith; Would play this turn based game with my cousins in TX for hours as a kid. You could play 17 different characters over a wide map.]
    Adventureland [Scott Adams released this text based game in '78 and I played years after as a kid. Climb tree. Get key. Read web. Chop tree. Likely a spinoff/clone of Adventure]
    Return of Heracles [Stuart Smith; A sequel of sorts to Ali Baba above, also played constantly with a buddy. You assumed role of many different greek heroes and attempted quests]
    Ultima IV (Virtue system left a lasting impression, system melted when I entered Stygian Abyss) U][ stood out for some reason, esp. robbing the McDonalls. Atoned later in UIV.
    UO (Involved in a wide variety of projects here, set the standard and met quality people across shards) ps- Wasn't interested in UO2 when they announced as I was already being satiated.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  18. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

Eye of the Beholder 2 and Might and Magic 6... never played any of these Ultima games... :D

19. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Tsk.
    If you already fell to this rather medicore clones I recommend you play one of the REAL fallout games :p

Jokes aside, you should really try 1,2 or NV.
    NV has the best story telling and the biggest amount of different choices and consequences of the new fallout games (e.g. ehhh...nvm I don't know if you finished 4 so I am not going to risk spoilers).
    And 1 and 2...what's left to say? They are by far the best old school RPGs out there. The dialogues, the amount of choice and different approach to solve issues and quests... it's incredible. Even 99% of today's rpgs aren't able to offer you so much to do in so many different ways.
    I wish someone would remaster both for today's junger audience. That would show 'those kids' what a real RPG should be like.

20. Max Bennis

Max Bennis Avatar

Offline :
    Final Fantasy VII - First RPG game I've actually finished
    Dragon Age : Origin - Loved the visceral atmosphere, and OMG Morrigan!!
    Ultima IX - Call me crazy, but I actually had fun with it

Online :
    World Of Warcraft - Original Only
    Shroud of the Avatar - Yea, well, I'm here. What more can I say?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.