What is the state of the thief in SotA? 7/20/14

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Sold and gone, Jul 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Actually such guard dogs should start barking like hell if they find a person, and everybody in the whole place should hear that. They can bark and attack at the same time too which is a good thing.

2. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

What do you think about scaling walls with the use of a grappling hook and a rope? Climb a castle wall instead of waiting for somebody to open the gate. or enter an open window that would otherwise require a person to walk through the whole area.

This might make some of the people happy who wanted a stealing skill. Not only finding hidden doors, but finding hidden ledges or climbing up to the next level of a cavern that goes upwards inside of a mountain. also climbing to the roof of your house which might not otherwise be possible.

Climbing structures might be key to staying stealth. I could imagine rogues might like walking on rooftops across a city rather than creeping around down below. It seems the roof tops would be a much better vantage point, and much easier to remain stealth unless somebody is in the habit of looking up.

EDIT: Rangers with archery skill might really like traveling around on rooftops of a town that is under siege.

3. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Sounds like a good idea, also could be player crafted.

Time Lord and Isaiah [MGT] like this.
  4. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

so much to catch up on!! omg

5. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Yeah but it will help not to double up on ideas.

Time Lord and DavenRock [MGT] like this.
  6. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

However back to the pet thing for a moment. I like what you said about a sap or some kind of non-lethal way of handling those pets.

It seems more stealthy if a rogue were to throw a little dog biscuit laced with a type of tranquilizer or some reagent that causes the pet to be in a hypnotic state. That would be less detectable since the animal would still walk around and might even still listen to commands.

The detection on the part of the other player (the one with the pet) would be to notice the dog quickly eat something. If they miss that quick eating thing, they might be able to figure it out the animal is drugged after the pet fails to answer some simple commands it would normally follow.

1. we shouldn't be able to kill non-combat pets
    2. it is less obvious that an animal was drugged, because poison would cause it to spasm and die (which is sort of a "tell" if you ask me).
    3. There are ways a person who is paying attention can detect the doping.

7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I thought more about the sneak attack. Something bothers me about a throat slice just causing a silence for a mage.

Such a violent act should be an instant kill. Even though I like the ability to do something functional like silence or blind... those moves would bother me while I play.

Games where they have clearly killing moves like that, and the other person keeps on fighting always make me feel odd. Samurai Showdown left me feeling that way. Just one of those horrific moves should indefinitely cripple if not kill the opponent outright.

I always thought of Hitpoints or health as taking glancing blows until you finally get hit with a mortal wound and you go down bleeding.

I suppose any solid hit from any weapon could end a life. A backstab to the kidney is also fatal, but there is no mistaking how lethal a throat slice is. It bothers me just to think about it. That should be a finishing move.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I posted this in another thread an I thought it deserved to be posted here too.

STEALING SKILL ISSUES:
    Actually I thought the thieves were more annoying in UO than the PKs. The thieving system was a joke in UO. I know many thieves loved it, but I think only the thieves liked it. It was a good solution for the time, but the thieving skill needs to be totally revamped in this game when they add it, and nobody can steal a warhammer off of a person's back... Sorry NO that cannot happen. I know there was some weight taken into account in the UO system, but it was still totally wrong.

Thieves should only be able to steal light stuff. A pouch of gold for instance. cut the purse and go. Pick a pocket and take an important letter or some coins. Maybe even be able to steal a dagger from somebody's side. there's no way a thief can steal a throne of bone in a pack. No thief can steal a sword in a sheath that is securly strapped to a warrior. Tell me how without having Godlike powers can a thief steal a longsword!?!? NEVER EVER I don't care if you are the best magician in the history of the world, no person has that kind of slight of hand power.

I believe the stealing system will not be added to SotA in the first release because it will be a minor system. It might be fun to steal 50 coins from somebody that isn't aware of it, but you're not going to be a wealthy lord by petty theft alone. Petty theft is just not that profitable. AND I hope stealing never goes beyond petty theft in SotA (at least for slight of hand tricks).

ALSO: It is not possible to snoop somebody's pack and keep it open for like 10 minutes to sift through all the stuff and decide what to take. Take what you see. you see a small pouch, cut the leather strap with a sharp object and keep moving. Open the pouch later and see what you got. Or reach into a pack and take the first small object you can feel.

9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

It's only 6 pages. I'm use to the PvP threads. This is nothing to catch up on.

10. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I agree with you stealing does have to be revamped from what it was in uo. I agree that you should not be able to steal something really heavy from a pack. That does however open up a slippery slope. How does one carry a bone throne in a pack? Maybe the adventurer would have to have some kind of disassemble skill in order to take such a massive item. It may not weigh over the encumbrance, but it sure would not fit into a back pack hehe.

Harmony2 and Time Lord like this.
  11. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I think for large items they said they would add something so we can haul it off. So those open slots where we can put additional packs, can be used for ONE thrown of bone. Essentially we are carrying it strapped to our back so to speak.

I also added a little extra about snooping a persons backpack just now too. Snooping shouldn't be like UO either. A petty thief should be able to slip a hand into a pack if he is lucky, but they should take the first small item they feel they could slip out of the pack without being noticed. No more snooping for 10 minutes with a guy's backpack open and sifting through all his/her stuff. That is not realistic at all.

I can deal with the throne of bone thing, but not some petty thief robbing me of all my valuable objects one after the other. Let them take one gemstone, or one coal, or one bag of 50gp.

12. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

They better give us stealing. Once a thief, forever a thief, and if those types don't find anything to steal in SotA, they might switch to stealing accounts...or even kidnapping someone from the dev team. *winks*

Time Lord, DizzySol and Isaiah [MGT] like this.
  13. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

I know you were just being sarcastic, but depending on the moderation team this kind of talk, making fun of things that would be crimes in the real world, can have negative repercussions on you. I don't know what is the position of Portalarium's mods, but I would proceed with extreme caution when making jokes about real crimes against fellow players or the devs.

Time Lord and Isaiah [MGT] like this.
  14. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

lol

Time Lord likes this.
  15. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

lol x2

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

Actually being serious. I've seen trouble exploding with similar jokes in other forums, and it's something that is not pleasant for anyone involved. And, no matter how much I disagree with the player that made the joke, that kind of trouble is not something I would wish on anyone.Besides, I've been called for using a swear word I didn't even know was a swear word in this forum, without even having directed it at anyone. Moderation here seems tight.Well, interpret it in whichever way you want; after all, I'm not a moderator here.

Time Lord, Isaiah [MGT] and majoria70 like this.
  17. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

One of my posts was deleted cause "it might sound racist".

And I only posted in response to someone who posted pics of two guys fine gentlemen of african-american origin.
    I said "they' both are black and dangerous" .

Im not a native english speaker so there are things I dont understand about the modern language, so I dunno rly. But it was wierd.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I would rather just get back to the state of the thief. I don't want them to delete this thread because of some technicality hidden in between the lines of the forum rules that none of us were (thought to be) smart enough to figure out until after they explain their interpretation of the rules. That's all Im gonna say.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

What about an enhanced jump skill for rogues? I'm thinking about the climbing on rooftops thing. If you're running across rooftops where there is row housing then it would be nice to be able to leap to the next roof if one property is missing a house.

Then I guess a skill for breaking a fall, or making a better landing might be useful for some too.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Enfo

Enfo Avatar

Bunch of great ideas!

One view that I look at it from, is how would it be implemented to be the least amount of bugs and also how to make it a particular play style without becoming a "nessecary" skill.

Example: Improved jump height. If you are able to have every skill, it almost seems mandatory to take a skill like this especially if they put in areas that are exclusive to having the skill ( that is actually a pretty sweet idea, having grandmaster necromancy might get you into X, where as grandmaster blades gets you into Y.. HMM).
    If there is no limit to what you can have, what makes the theif unique to stand out? Maybe jump height with a special pair of boots? Stealing with a particular set of gloves? Disguise with a specific helm? Intimidation with a specific pair of pants? Maybe any of these with an enchantment on gear? If you just have the skill, along with everything, would it be the deck that seperates you from others? Do you need to hope the steal/jump/X skill comes up so you can use it? What are thoughts on the implementation.

I like most the ideas regardless, and a thief would definately be a character I could see myself having one of depending on the implemintation and the enteractions.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.