What kind of role-player are you.

Discussion in 'Roleplayer's Corner' started by Larawyn Skjaldmaer, Jan 8, 2017.

?

What kind of role-player are you ....

1. I am a role-player because I play an RPG. (I am playing a RPG therefore I am role-playing.)

17.4%
  2. I consider myself a role-player even tho I am playing myself. ex: I don't discuss game mechanics IC.

4.3%
  3. I play the game OOC, but write in character stories.

4.3%
  4. I imagine my avatar as being its own person while playing, but I don't interact w/others AS my char.

17.4%
  5. I flow back and forth from IC to OOC and it might be hard to tell.

21.7%
  6. Sometimes I'm in character, sometimes i'm out of character, and I clearly differentiate. Use (( ))

39.1%
  7. I stay in character a lot, but will break character if I feel its needed.

52.2%
  8. I never break character, what is this nonsense you speak of!

4.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larawyn Skjaldmaer

Larawyn Skjaldmaer Avatar

Terms:

RPer - Role Player

RPG - Roleplaying Game, like SoTa

IC - In character, speak as and about only things my character knows. i.e. the mechanics of the game are traditionally never ic.

OOC - Out of Character, usually represented by ((parens)) in local. Also guild and party chat.

Char - Character

2. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I played Ad&D and Rolemaster for years (20?)
    I did some LARPS too and i'm trying to roleplay in MMORPGS since 2000 when i begin to play on a RP Shard, but went to other games because of time and such.
    Now i could say i shouldnt do that, but well now we have SotA. To me it seems to fit my casual and RPers playstyle very well.

I am no one forcing into RP and learned to deal even with dancing Chars wearing a pink Unicorn mask (Tabula Rasa, thank you General British :p)
    I switch back and force and until now i mostly play ooc because of less people want to RP while Pve.
    There's nothing against Taverns, Events etc. but if this is the only RP it went boring for me.
    I'm used to roleplay even when exploring, and hunting and i sometimes create little adventures where i am the GM plus i play may chars role and use it to give hints or maybe want the group to fail.
    I use groupchat and whispers or /me for Infos to the group or single chars.
    My Character doesnt spoil or neccessarily help, but he can also give false Infos or makes wrong decisionns or consumptions.
    I try to think like him and forget about what the GM knows, although i know of cause ;-)
    It's fun, you can have really good RP with that and it's allways dynamic.
    GMs know that players allways can abuse the whole content or leid it to a Land what you haven't imagine already, nor written down.
    Improvisation over plannings ans Scripts.

3. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

My friends will tell that I drift into character (and stay there for sometime) then drift back out. Usually, I drift out again due to some mechanic discussion or administration (Guild etc) aspect.

When playing I tend to get distracted a lot. lol.

Stundorn likes this.
  4. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Stryker does have a definite RP backstory, but in day to day interactions, it is as others describe here, a drifting back and forth between out of character and in character due to the answering of technical questions or having been caught up in a current RL topic.

Then again, his character's initial background would be a genre mix of Blade Runner and the Humanx universe by Alan Dean Foster, so the higher technology quirks peak his curiosity.

5. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Almost Everytime, I was lost while my first epitaph and Hilt raids, because of that :D.

What I find difficult is to stay iC while others chatting ooc , it is like you want to speak local slang, but everywhere they speak common speech.

6. Larawyn Skjaldmaer

Larawyn Skjaldmaer Avatar

Just a bump to keep this thread moving in front of new role-players, this gives the rp community leaders an idea of what kind of events to plan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.