What to do with all those empty Shardfall PvP zones ...

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by addrox, Mar 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. addrox

addrox Avatar

Hosting a Periodic event in a Shardfall I guess is ... oooook? and it can be done now? maybe? but no one does anything in most of these zones.
    But there are so many PvP zones out there with nothing to do in them. Cant PvP, PVE, or even worthless to visit.

But I agree with you in that we need to make them exciting enough so that people who want to PvP ... will want to go to these zones and take risks. This also does not mean that people who dont want anything to do with PvP that their game changes.

Dhanas likes this.
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

theres other consequences that can be done besides ransoms. I am hoping to see other reasons and to get rid of ransoms. Things like titles, bounties, factions, quest completions, achievements with rewards etc.

edited corrected. I meant to mentions factions and we do need a raid system

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    Elrond likes this.
  3. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

Part of the allure for many current SotA players are the community led events. Even the focused PvP arena events. Really, if you are that passionate about it, there is nothing to stop you from planning and trying to organize an event to get people out to PvP.

You're right, in their current states, these zones have no allure. They are open zones (meaning not many, if any, canyon runs making it like a maze), and they are begging for some mechanics to bring people out. It would, IMHO, be quite fair to put the next big event "boss" in one of the Shardfalls just to see what happens.

4. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

There's that big pool of water/poison/stuff in the middle with the ridge of the crater all around.
    Might be a cool thing to set up to try and 'defend' it ...maybe obsidian chip nodes spawn in it for mining or something.

5. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

Can do all this stuff, or just fix the combat first so ppl want to PVP.

Once you have a decent PVP playerbase, then there is lots of potential for the shardfalls.

6. sotasota4

sotasota4 Avatar

@majoria70 that was only the subdivision of the areas, as it should be )) in this way we will also have zones for low level players and players that want to play pvp without looting )

7. redfish

redfish Avatar

I actually do go into Shardfalls and ruins all the time to PvE or to fish. And watch my back or hide or escape when I suspect a PvPer, because as someone primarily playing PvE I find I'm always unprepared for a PvP fight (I actually go around fighting in broken armor, because why not?), and unmatched, and the best thing I can do when I come across a fight is avoid it. If I'm killed, I just pay the ransom, because who cares, why not? Its not too much skin for me to pay. OF course, this is all why PvP is stupid in the game. Because its pointless.

Whether it's bad PvE depends on what you mean by "bad PvE." Yea, its grindy like most of the game is grindy, but its better than most zones for a solo player for a lot of things you want to grind. Its not UT, but not all PvE is about heavy XP grinding done by groups.

I honestly think the best PvP would happen if control points actually mattered and were open to PvP. But that's a done issue, in that like so many other things from Kickstarter, it seems to have been laid to rest by people complaining about the Kickstarter plans. The plan for Shardfalls was maybe to have some unique things in them, or semi-unique things. At one point, the devs discussed maybe adding in Blood Moss, and have it grow on grounds where players were killed. But then some players reacted and said you're forcing PvP if PvP zones had anything unique in them, or similar such complaints.

I don't know what else you can do. I've suggested deep-sea fish (thread) that could be found deep in some dungeons and maybe in Shardfalls, too, because they're monstrous and you would expect all the fish around Shardfalls to be mutated abominations. But if this is another case of a PvP zone getting semi-unique things, would we expect some PvEers to complain? I've also suggested weather events and unique weather events at Shardfalls like teleport storms.

And yea I'd like a bounty system and all that stuff @majoria70 is talking about, which I've talked about before, too.

But there's still going to be a lot more broken about the game.

Jaesun, Spoon, addrox and 2 others like this.
  8. addrox

addrox Avatar

Agreed ... i say before we or more so the (devs) go hundreds of days of coding crazy ... lets just make these zones worth going in with good hunting spawns (varied by location), decent loot drops (varied by location) and great forging (again varied by locations) ... Meaning some locations have x others y and others z ... Why do i have to mine inside a mine why cant there be a quarry for stone? or anything like that in a shardfall ... Just throwing out Ideas ...

9. Vodalian

Vodalian Avatar

Shardfalls should be equal in exp and loot to the popular PvE zones like The Rise, Ulfheim etc. Not better, just on the same level. That way no one is punished and no one is favored. Right now the shardfalls are way too empty. Only one enemy at a time with a decent sprint between is no good.

Dhanas likes this.
  10. oplek

oplek Avatar

Putting on my PVP hat (after first dusting it off), what'd interest me in the shardfalls, as forced-PVP, is if they were conquerable to some degree.

Fallout 76 has "workshops" that you can claim, set up a base, and defend. You can set up resource extractors (basically generate resourceXYZ in a container over time, which you can loot) which give extra incentive. Let us use the companion system to hire some mercenaries as guards. Let us train them to level them up over time. If you overrun someone else's claim, you can collect the resources, etc. Etc.

I'm trying to think in terms of using existing techonlogies - companions, traps, the building system (the base could be a lot marker you can plop down, then claim), etc.

Black Tortoise likes this.
  11. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Mother of gawd don't you dare to use this failed pseudo wannabe battle royal Bethesda slapped a fallout skin on as example of a good PvP mechanic!!11111222

Jaesun and devilcult like this.
  12. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Have you tried killing your friends? :eek:

P.S. Only kidding!

Cordelayne likes this.
  13. addrox

addrox Avatar

Why?

Risk vs Reward ... ???

I think each shardfall should have it own flavor, with mobs, bosses, loot, farmable and or PVP minigames ...

If you are a PVEer and want nothing to do with it ... it (having a fun pvp zone) does NOT change your game at all so dont poo poo on it ... since you DONT PVP ...

Since I dont craft much of anything ... i dont complain or take any time of my day to post on crafting, or craft so ... yeah ... I dont POO POO crafters and non pvpers and dance party persons ...

14. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I don't think risk vs. reward is the right way to look at shardfalls. There are some players who might venture into them if the rewards were substantially better, but not many. Most people who don't want to PvP don't want to because they don't want to PvP. Offering them better rewards isn't going to work- it's more likely to make them complain about PvP getting special treatment. Trying to get make more PvP'ers out of PvE'ers is a mostly doomed plan. The one thing that might work would be to give them control point/UT style areas, and make the attenuation cap higher. Since most people would need to party up anyway, they'd also have some protection against griefers. Though, that would probably also just encourage parties of griefers. And would likely still get a lot of PvE'ers to complain loudly that PvP'ers get better rewards.

15. Vodalian

Vodalian Avatar

I like PvP now and then although I don't usually seek it out. I don't see PvP and PvM as two separate playstyles, I want PvP to be a flavor of the world that happens in the "wild", not a game within the game like duels and arenas. That's why I want PvP zones to be worthwhile for both PvE and PvP. And it's not about risk vs reward, I don't ask for better rewards because of risk, just the same as other zones so it's not a waste to be there.

Helvig Ingvildsdottir likes this.
  16. addrox

addrox Avatar

Agreed well said. I just feel there are so many empty shardfalls we have opportunity for serious improvement ...above all ...

PvP

And getting an improved experience im pvp zones ... with more players wanting to go to one of these zones keeping one eye on the prize and one over their shoulder.

17. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

One good decision would be to grant SOLO Play in Shardfalls for those people who won't enter PvP zones. Also to do the questline undisturbed. This would be a great help for people following the storyline!

People crying for PvP CAN do it wherever they want. If there aren't enough PvP flagged people, may be they won't fear about to be slayn from behind?
    If this is a kind of "kick" for people - they can do it all the time all over the world.

I think if more people come into the game, PvP flagged people will raise also. So get ready for Episode 2 :)

And besides:
    watch special player driven (story related!) PvP events!!!
    Everybody can take part and organize those events - also in shardfalls ;)

For me it is very important to have a rule set, people respect ...

StarLord likes this.
  18. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

Nope!
    That leads to reduced resources, because of the zillions of private instances. They have already started reducing wood, i guess, due to the mass farming of private sieges.
    Play offline if you do not want to be disturbed by others in one or another way. The reason for private sieges was not PvP related.

In the shardfalls there is nothing worthwhile what can not be found elsewhere. So, there is no reason to take away PvP-Ground. Resources should be incrased in PvP-Grounds, since there are no private instances.

Dhanas likes this.
  19. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Sorry, I don't understand why amount of resources should depend on Solo or Multi Access? Normally those resources should be MORE in multiplayer mode and LESS in Solo mode. @Chris, can you tell something about this?

However: resources should not be a reason for preventing Access for other Player, especially referring on negative feedback from new players following the Main storyline. I think most of them wouldn't be interested in resources. And other PvE player in Solo mode would appreciate to explore those areas.

Besides, you are right:
    No resources should be cut in multiplayer mode because of the possibility to enter in Solo mode!
    If this would be the case, I see no problem anyways :)

20. Kelly O'Shay

Kelly O'Shay Avatar

The shardfalls are integral to the Shroud of the Avatar Main Story quest line. Every player who got their Shroud had the opportunity to explore about 8 of the shardfalls to proceed through the quest line. They could have chosen to take the alternative paths provided through the non-pvp zones if they were not interested in taking a chance in the shardfall.

There is nothing wrong with the shardfalls as they are. They are a great place to harvest resources. There are a lot of obsidian golems there for gathering obsidian chips. There are a lot of the terror flora that drop rare cooking reagents.

Since they are part of the main quest line they should remain there. I hope the main quest line for episode two is as well designed as the Shroud quest line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.