What will you name your character?

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Robby, Dec 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robby

Robby Avatar

So... do any of you have a name that you will have for sure? Like a name that you had in UO or one that you ALWAYS have when you play an MMO or online game? I havent decided yet myself.
    What is your opinions on players who name their characters silly names such as "a chicken" or "PurePwNage" or... "SuperNoob". The way I see it, names like "a chicken" or "a magpie" are not neccessarily done for silly reasons, more to allow them to not be as noticeable out in the woods when they are grey or something.
    For those of you who do name their characters out of context off the wall silly names. Do you actually care about this character and really work hard developing them?
    Does anyone think that silly out of context names should not be allowed? Does our names all have to be unique or should it not matter if another player already has the same name? Im always annoyed by games that force you to have a unique name, because then you have to do weird things with the text or put a period at the end of the name..

I guess a lot of thought can actually go into something as simple as the character name.

Jivalax Azon and Time Lord like this.
  2. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

My current forum name will be my avatar's name. Much though went into choice for name. He has a last name, but that will be revealed at a later time. I was never much for silly names when you can only have 1 char on an account. Seems such a waste if you want to stay in character. After all how can you stay in character if your name is Chicken Lips? I suppose someone would like that name for the duration of the game, but thats just not my style.

In other games my main characters have proper names that align with the game and when there are more on the same account, then those tend to be silly names, or names to keep me straight as to what I created them for. Something like BotanyBabe whose sole purpose was to collect plants.

Each game I play has its own unique character name which keeps with the type of game. So never have had duplicate names.

3. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Emmerson Biggins.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Most likely I will be Umbrae, but I have yet to make any firm decisions of who or what I will play in SOTA. I am definitely NOT a fan of names that are not NAMES. If I ran the game stuff like "PurePwNage" would be an insta-ban before you even got to hit finish, but that is me. I don't mind that thing on Arena or Deathmatch type games, but it is a killer for RPGs which I think should require more thought and etiquette when it comes to creating your character. It most certainly should not be a way to allow you to insult or annoy people, which is usually why those names are chosen IMHO. I don't mind silly name themselves as long as they are appropriate to the atmosphere of the game and not obvious l33t sp34k. Things like "a chicken" or "a pig" I see as exploitation, especially since this is usually done to get around a game mechanic, so I would not like them to be allowed.

I don't care that names are unique, but there should be a way to avoid people impersonating others maliciously. Something like allowing for 3 names (first, middle, last) which together needs to be unique, or just making sure your player log in is very visible so at least there is an OOC/metagame way to tell people apart.

In the end though, we still don't know how naming and the rules therein will be setup, but I am definitely watching with interest. :)

5. Schwerganoik

Schwerganoik Avatar

I am Nimrod, the Mighty Hunter!

Actually, if space allows, I'll just go with my default name for my characters: Pimpmaster Slice. Yes, the name is ludicrous, but, in the end, it's a game. I'm almost afraid to make a character for Single Player Online, though, if we're allowed only 1 each for that.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Robby

Robby Avatar

I usually have one guy that has a decent name that fits the setting of the game and all, then the rest I just give nonsense names to. But... if theres only going to be ONE character this more than likely will not happen.

Jivalax Azon and Time Lord like this.
  7. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Great question.

I have a couple of names that I have always used online. I deliberately chose to not use them in this game. There will probably be a tombstone with one of those names on it. I feel I want to put the past behind me.

I intend to use my real name, because it fits with the premise of the story, and I don't see any reason I shouldn't use it.

I don't really care what name other people use, but when I see a clever silly name, I appreciate it. When I see somebody has taken the name of a popular fictional character I'm a little sad. Your name is Gandalf, and you're a mage. Great. Daenerys Targaryen, Mother of Dragons. Wonderful. Buy something or get out.

I like keeping names unique. In the real world, there are lots of folks with the same names and it sometimes creates a little confusion. In a game, it opens the door to grief, so I'd prefer we didn't allow duplicates. However, since the number of people in my world is going to be very limited, there isn't much chance it will be a problem for me.

Akeashar and Time Lord like this.
  8. Kell Frost Wyrm

Kell Frost Wyrm Avatar

I have several recurring names for older RPG games I played, most of which were randomly generated.

Kell for instance came from NWN2.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Last time they talked about names, I think they said we'd have [Title][First Name][Last Name].
    I think we can include spaces.
    Not sure about special characters (I hope not).
    The combination of First and Last names has to be unique.

Time Lord, Pendragon and Kuno Brauer like this.
  10. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

My forum name will be my character name. (Of course, depending on the length of the character field, it might be a tight squeeze.) Every character I've ever played in a RPG has been a member of the same NIGHTSHADOW clan, regardless of setting. Since I've played over 200 RPGs over the course of my lifetime (and do not use the same name twice), that makes for a lot of life experiences for my character. I've always considered him to be the same character reincarnated over and over again (as are his eternal love and eternal foe). Sort of like Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion ;)

Jambo, Akeashar and Time Lord like this.
  11. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

12. Robby

Robby Avatar

I actually think that there should be more room for naming characters than UO had. Ive had many times I wanted to make a certain awesome name and it didn't fit... If your name is too long to fit, there should be an option to type it in and ask for approval to keep the name. So that if you need say, 2 or 3 more letters you can have that awesome name that you wanted.

13. Sunsanvil

Sunsanvil Avatar

While being introduced to D&D in the early 80s, my brother rolled me a character and suggested Boromir as a name (as its somewhat close to my real name). Hadent read Lord of the Rings at that time so of course had no idea he lifted it. In any event I went on to use it in single player games for a couple decades, but of course its always taken online and haven't come up with a standard.

Until the format is set in stone I dont think I'll put too much thought into it. After Alpha we might all rethink anyway. :)

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Orladin

Orladin Avatar

Orladin duh. Kinda stole that from King's Field 2. He's a mage the protagonist has to hunt down for some stuff and then you come to find out he's been dead for several centuries. And set up all these crazy tasks for someone he'd never even get to see go through them for the simple fact he was known to be the equivalent of an Elvin Kingdom Archmage Trollking. You really just have to play it to understand. The further you get in the game the more dialogue the npcs throw at you to fill out the lore/legends of the kingdom. Makes you want to backtrack just to see because it all goes into a journal.
    It's an awesome series. I wish the devs would invest some time into it because it's more or less a cult following.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I will name him George. I will love him and pet him and squeeze him.

Where is that from?? Guesses?

16. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

So glad names don't appear overhead (or at least optionally appear) =)

I'll be Seir in some form or function.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

I am planning on combining names that I have used in games for ages. Kiron Maedun

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Dolnor

Dolnor Avatar

My "Walking in the Light" character will be Festoon Turnbuckle.

My "Thief of the Shadows" character will be Ishka Bibble.

Or just some other made up name.

I would rather not tell anyone my characters' names...I would rather you find out who I am in-game...or at least who you Think I Am in-game! -)

Plus, I don't like people stealing my avatar names and cause trouble for me. I've had this done in the past which required litigation and in-game sanctioning when it got out of hand.

TQQdles™

Time Lord likes this.
  19. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

[​IMG]

20. Pendragon

Pendragon Avatar

In the woods looking for a wandering healer.
    Mudd!

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.