What would be the downside to doubling the ore in Serpent Spine?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scoffer, Apr 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

My solution is to have them buy them up exactly the way they do now but also offer experience and/or gold for completeing an order to promote a higher demand for on-market materials without a need to go kill things for gold.

Currently there is no return on investment for low end crafters and thats whats forcing them into grinding mobs or nodes (and by association, mobs) for the materials, gold to get more materials.

Another solution would be to create more profitable (and desirable per cost) consumables crafters can create to fund themselves

Zader likes this.
  2. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

Okay, so you do that 1000 times, assuming you keep one for yourself, you now have 999 to sell, before you start leveling the skill itself: that's just to build up your pool, and just for one person. There's nowhere near that much demand, so the price will never hold for flooding the market with that much.

I fear you'd have to get the bonuses to the point where it's either cosmetic and/or is so small it's not worth the durability hit, which is a de facto removal from the game.

The problem with this is by making NPCs buy them at prices they can be produced at (mind you, I'm not even saying PROFITABLE prices, just break-even ones) you're going to be creating a such a large influx of gold it will make the Zimbabwean dollar look like a nice stable currency. It creates more problems than it solves.

NPCs can't give them that: attempting to do so will only cause rampant inflation. The majority of the problem is the system rewards "banking" your xp then "spending" it in bulk. Without that aspect, it just becomes a "normal" grind, rather than an "expensive grind." People may still decide to mine their own resources, but at that point they are doing it for the resources rather than for the xp.

That's something they've already been trying to do. It's why we have all the new potions in the last few releases.

3. Lace

Lace Avatar

This is absolutely false. It is diminishing returns.
    The more you refine, enchant, mw, create the same item the xp you get less and less xp each time, this is also true for exceptional xp you get.. I get 20xp most of the time from making items. The only viable way to get crafting xp for the long haul is to harvest, mine etc.

4. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Thats why i suggested the NPC orders. And theres no need to "build up a pool" as you will be using the skills your trying to raise, leveling the skill as you fill orders.

You can get 3000 xp for crafting an exceptional bronze, meteoric, etc sword. And 800 form refining an exceptional bronze ingot. Exceptional items yield 5x the XP and provide great Xp. The only thing that prevents it being better xp than gathering is the cost.

You get 20 xp for a basic low end ingot and 100 for exceptional .

Advanced materials give you far more experience and exceptionals yield 5x more. At high refining skill you get exceptionals often by crafting 1 item at a time.

Since this wealth of xp already exists in thr crafting skills without having to gather to get it, the only thing forcing crafters into the fields is money.

So i was suggesting NPCs submitting buy orders to crafters with a set time limit to prevent afk farming but give theoption to run a shop rather than becoming a mighty hero for the sake of crafting alonen

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  5. Lace

Lace Avatar

Again
    IT IS DIMINISHING RETURNS meaning the more you do it the less xp you get each time till it bottoms out therefore not viable for long haul

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  6. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

It resets To full xp Daily. Making it less efficient if your playing multiple hours, but still very viable if your supply can be sustained. If it did not give full xp again every day ghen it would not be viable, but it does. The main problem is that its not financially sustainable, which is also the same thing that drives people to build massive pools of XP before they begin crafting.

A sustainable crafting income would eleminate massive xp pools AND gathering/fighting as absolute neccessities.

7. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

If you do that, your conversion is going to be abysmal. You can get away with it at lower levels, but at least around 80 it's easily apparent the difference between a pool in the 10s of thousands and one in the 100s of thousands.

You also still haven't dealt with the inflationary nature of introducing massive amounts of currency into the economy.

8. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Cost is the only reason to pool xp before you craft. Its always better to raise your desired skills while your getting the xp at the same time. If you pool xp first, you spend a huge gap of time not training your skill, whereas if you got the xp while crafting you would remove that time gap. In both situations your applying the same ammount of xp to you skill. The only reason to pool xp first is to lower financial/material costs in training.

And the inflation issue is probably why they havent done this system, but there is also a "gold from nowhere" situation present in crafting, it just isnt enough to make crafting without farming fully viable yet.

Unless.....you have land to actually FARM farm on i guess? Hmm.

9. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

No it's not. Once you've build up a large pool, it's easy to keep it up. If what you were saying is true, then people wouldn't keep their pool high when working on gathering skills. They do, because if you don't, conversion remains abysmal.

10. Elfenwahn

Elfenwahn Avatar

+1 to "I like the new mine but small ore count increase would be fine."

11. Whitestag

Whitestag Avatar

One of the things I think will happen is a balance of the mines where players will not just go to the best one and ignore all the rest.
    The changes you are seeing will have to be about the same with all mines in the game.
    Raise or lower ore in one and you will have to raise it in all of them, raise or lower mobs in one you will have to in all of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.