What would you have changed about Ultima IX?

Discussion in 'The Kingdoms of Old' started by Skaroxis, Nov 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Holy cow, that's a list too long to even try here. The Titan of Ether plot, certainly, along with the main Bob White storyline explaining the radical changes to Britannia, and referencing the Avatar's actions in Pagan.

But the BIGGEST thing was the complete disconnect, retconning, and blatant ignoring of the entire history of the Ultima series. They didn't even like halfass screw up certain things, they flat missed the broadside of the barn while standing right against the wall in terms of fan service.

Lastly, the character of Lord Blackthorn, his fall and redemption, everything about his backstory and connection to Lord British was thrown away and made into a laughably inept Scooby Doo cartoon villian that was incredibly insulting to the fans, writers, and the entire series.

How best to fix IX? Get it up to 88 miles per hour, so we can go back in time and see some serious Ultima lore. ;)

Cormac likes this.
  2. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Hopefully the mods will forgive me.

http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/when-this-baby-hits-88mph-you-re-gonna-see-some-serious-****.png

mike11 likes this.
  3. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Ultima 9 was in my opinion, at time, unplayable.
    That game was such a reduction in gameplay experience from previous Ultimas they were nothing like the classic ultima games at all...

It's really sad and too bad it didn't work out, there may have been some gems in there but it hardly seems like Lord British even had much to do with making Ultima 9 and partially Ultima 8.

At the time, around 1998 or so, my Ultima 9 was SOOOOO slow to load. Other games at the time completely stole the limelight as far as quality RPG or 3d adventure games like Stonekeep, Baldurs Gate, Diablo and even games like Unreal just ran smoothly so they were enjoyable to play.

Even Ultima Underworld 1 was a better game than Ultima 9 in terms of most all aspects that determine why a game is good or not.

I think the lessen to be learned is engine sucks=game sucks.

4. Curt

Curt Avatar

It was way to linear.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.