Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

What wrong with ranged ??

Discussion in 'Release 32 Feedback Forum' started by Spinok, Aug 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

@helm Try Ulfeim north of BEAR tavern, by Rifts End.

I was striking tons of zeros there. Wont really work on Spiders, they dont flee on initial contact. I noticed the wolves and Bears in Deep didnt seem to have the problem (as often).

FrostII, Fringe, helm and 1 other person like this.
  2. helm

helm Avatar

Thanks!

The "network congestion bug" prevents thorough testing as the connection breaks every half a minute or so, but I can confirm this basically - I too was striking a lot of zeros in Ulfheim. Very different to wolves of Deep Ravenswood.

FrostII, Time Lord and Oba Evesor like this.
  3. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

This is problem not about kind of mobs(wolf/elf/undead) or locations I get pretty same results in many 5 skulls locations with I think all kinds of mobs. This is a problem of maximum atacking range, it is very low.
    Of course we can counter this. But again its about atacking range and it is really stupid. I checked it with enemy archers, I engage them, run away from them, they are shooting me with real damage, but when I try to shot them from their shoting distance I make ZERO damage.
    1) For example you can check that aimedshot damage and chance to hit from 25 "m" to the target will be higher than from face to face, so general tactics for low level archer against powerful mobs is keep a disitance. Now this tactics is absolete. If I was young archer on level 10 and saw this zero damage range problem, I would be shocked.
    2) I have almost 600 points in ranged tree and I dont understand why any archer mob(even with 100 hp) has higher atacking range than I.
    3) Why game force us to use long range weapons in face to face range ??? If I want it I will choose sword/hammer/polearm isnt it ???
    4) Again why we need range innate if it is MOST USELESS skill of the game for now. And why we need HARD MAPLE BOW (it is most useless weapon of all SOTA for now) Lets just delete both.

4. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

There was a pebble between a wolf and I this morning. Shooting 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.

@Chris Latest fix makes ranged just melee without good armor.

5. helm

helm Avatar

By my own tests (mentioned above, admittedly short because of the network bug), there is something else at work. If it was merely an issue with max attack range, the difference between the wolves of Deep Ravenswood and the wolves of Ulfheim wouldn't be night and day. A range related issue would be consistent across different scenes, but it isn't. It feels more like those bugs a good while back, where an incorrectly baked navmesh would trigger "invincibility mode" quite unexpectedly (causing among other things the appearance of mere elevation difference being the culprit, which certainly wasn't the case). In this case the root cause appears to be related more to some kind of new "advanced" mob behavior, which triggers the mode in ways that are unexpected.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

my guess is it was an exploit fix that didnt play well with alot of maps. some people with ranged attacks see no issues but every where ive been its basically made me a melee fighter with a bow

7. helm

helm Avatar

New patch 455 is out, unfortunately both the network disconnect bug and this ranged issue are still persisting. So NO fix to those as of yet.

I can further confirm that the attacking max range as such is not the issue; after the mob is brought to "attack mode" the damage appears to be dealt normally at any range (within the designated max range).

Oba Evesor and Time Lord like this.
  8. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

I have absolutely opposite expirience so I cant say anything :oops:

Time Lord and helm like this.
  9. helm

helm Avatar

The mobs are probably more scared of you so they switch to 'evade' mode sooner ;)

Numa, Time Lord and Spinok like this.
  10. Study_Break

Study_Break Avatar

Having the same problem, worked fine yesterday before the patch. Now i have to be almost on top of the mob before it applies damage!

Leostemplar, Time Lord and FrostII like this.
  11. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I've noticed this as well, I'm well in range and there are no obstacles to speak of and I nuke nuke nuke for zero zero zero, unless I walk into melee range, which is counterproductive because I'm a long-range fighter.
    I can understand the need to prevent certain exploitation but I think this has gone too far in the other direction.

Leostemplar and Time Lord like this.
  12. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

I checked it today again in crag.
    Seems that maximum atacking range now = maximum awareness range of a mob. (Example: if wolf has 5 m awareness range then you get zero damage from any range more than 5, if elv has 20 than zero damage from any range more than 20(but if elf begin to nock on 19m range and you bllink out he will make damage anyway)
    I root mobs and run out of them while attack, I get different distances when zero damage appears(with different mobs) so I m pretty sure I`m right.

13. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

As it stands now I start nearly every fight at 1/2 mana. I spend the first half dropping 5 stacks for 0 dmg, until I run up and kick the monster, then the fight starts.

It seems like a compound problem. The 'fix' for auto-attack and the navmesh. There are times when you will have aggro and still strike zeros, if there is an elevation change.

Be nice to get a dev to confirm that this is either being looked at, or working as intended. @anyone :)

Spinok and Time Lord like this.
  14. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

From my point of view it doesn`t depend of elevation change at all, I fight on flat land with wolf and on 45 degrees slope. The range on what I begin to make zero damage is same it just look not same due to look geometry.
    Also some facts:
    1) Mob can be in agro mode but you will do zero damage.(I root wolf, blink out, as root fall down, wolf run to me to atack but I make zero damage on him, and begin to make damage only when it was very close to me)
    2) Every mob has their own range from what atack on him will make zero damage(and this range seems a constant) and as I said before seems that this range is same as awareness range of mob.

It also can be a nerf of such tactics too (which I use on red mobs few days ago - while mob was not in aggro mode he get huge damage and chance to hit on them was near 100%, so you can very very often get 100 dmg from 40 level aimed shot on orange and red mobs, make 2 steps behind to lose mob agro and hit again)

At the sum ranged combat completely destroyed and stupid, those nerfs are like carwash(yes our car need a carwash), but we used this type of carwash - look from 32 second :)

Absolutelly agree.

Leostemplar, Time Lord and Oba Evesor like this.
  15. mikedeathdealer

mikedeathdealer Avatar

Really HATE this new "bug"..... Nothing like trying to take advantage of our spell range and being nerfed to a 10 yard range... Such a waste of focus added to our already high focus cost of spells across the board... /sadface

16. Couldin

Couldin Avatar

I noticed this last night too. In certain spots my fire arrow hits the target, but does zero damage. It seems to happen on hill areas, but down where it's flat it's not as much of an issue. This problem seems to have been introduced within that last few patches.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

The only way I can fight against run mode animals is to set them on fire and then run into damage radius or run them down with gust/sprint.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Dytand

Dytand Avatar

I'm follow this post.

I have a lot of problems with range damage, But i'm a new player, so maybe some one can tell who it works, i have made i post in the welcome new players :)

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Welcome Dytand!
    I listen to these guys too :D

~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Dytand likes this.
  20. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

RANGED IT'S JUST TOO OVERPOWER !!!!!!!!

Im a melee PvP player, how can I deal with ranged without collision when bower's can backcritical and CC melee like a Child's play. They Sprint, Dash and have HP like TANK and Focus like MAGE ....

What wrong with GODLIKE mode ???

LoL

:D

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    Ravicus and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.