Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

What wrong with ranged ??

Discussion in 'Release 32 Feedback Forum' started by Spinok, Aug 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:eek: Abydos...
    Isn't ranged combat where we went wrong and began this targeting thingy to somehow improve ranged o_O?'
    I'm still not a happy camper with those things... It causes me to think back on where all this started from...
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Abydos likes this.
  2. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

I turn around and I kill him by eating chips and drinking a cola :D

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    Time Lord likes this.
  3. Braelyn

Braelyn Avatar

This is making a nightmare for my leveling too. A banish undead with over 40 yards range can't hit anything until it's aggroed already running at me. Hitting 0s constantly :(

Leostemplar and Time Lord like this.
  4. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Yes, still a problem....
    Now in addition to making all my spells cost three times as much I now must cast them from melee range!
    Is the point for us just to all be melee? Should I just stop fighting it and go put on platemail?

5. mikedeathdealer

mikedeathdealer Avatar

Still waiting for a fix for this... Maybe we could get a post by a dev that they would look into it? ... Or wait "Working as Intended" -.-

Leostemplar, agra and Time Lord like this.
  6. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Ranged is currently the #1 most broken thing a new player can encounter.

2nd place are invisible walls on the overland.

Leostemplar, agra and Time Lord like this.
  7. Dantuin

Dantuin Avatar

The "Ranged" bow is almost like melee for me, having to get 4 steps away from a mob before you can register a hit that is more than zero. Might as well use the bow as a club at that point.. sux .. If the target is red let us register a hit with damage not .. hey you hit for zero...YAH - wasted another arrow. Don't get me started on how many arrows this current system is wasting... I would be better off throwing rocks at the mob than try to pull with the bow the way it currently is.

I usually love playing a Ranger but this is not fun.... Why have the Oracle exclusively recommend the ranged (Love) path if it is totally broken...Really!!?

Please fix this @DarkStarr, @Chris, @Attenwood and thank you for your consideration.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
    Time Lord likes this.
  8. Scrambler

Scrambler Developer Emeritus

The intended functionality you should expect (at this time) - a creature must be able to be in awareness distance for you to do damage. A mob never has a chance to see/target/react to a player that is outside its awareness distance. This is a critical exploit fix.

The feedback is good, I'll pass it along.

Time Lord, NRaas and Fister Magee like this.
  9. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Alright then, how about when we are not in this certain mob's awareness range and try firing off a shot, instead of 0 being shown can we get some notice, or at least a 'missed'? It would lead us to think at least that the system is not bugged, and cause a lot of us to reposition. A 0 implies we hit the target.

10. Scrambler

I have a fix for this issue that may make it for the next patch.

KuBaTRiZeS, Time Lord, Spinok and 2 others like this.
  11. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Uhm...

I'm very confused about this issue. Because my experience - upto yesterday night at 3am! - is that I'm fully able to "pull" mobs without any problem.

Sara Dreygon is whirlwinding/buzzsawing in the middle of DRW, and I go around sneaking on unsuspecting large reds/elder wolves, ping them with a well placed full-charge shot at some distance (definitely afar, but solidly within the deep-red reticle area), provoke them into following me - even half a dozen of them at a time - into the Meatgrinder of Death(tm) that is Sara.

Works like a charm.

margaritte, helm and Time Lord like this.
  12. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

:)
    You are talking melee in a range discussion I think? Melee works fine!

13. agra

agra Avatar

The problem with this: (aside from no QA testing and using a hammer to kill a fly, and throwing out the baby with the bathwater, etc, etc)

TODAY, You can't damage any creature unless you're in melee range
    All ranged abilities are now pointless or near pointless, because you get to cast them once, and then you're in melee with the target.
    There are a whole bunch of innates that increase ranged distance. Both magical, and on the bow. What would be the point of all of these, if we can't attack any farther away than 10m?

Most other games handle this in a variety of ways. The first is: If the creature cannot PATH to you, you cannot do damage to it. It has nothing to do with perception. Once you damage a creature, it must know about you and must path to you or be invulnerable.
    In the rare cases that a creature loses a path to you after engaged, it will go invuln and return to it's spawn point, or if it's a boss, it will teleport you to it.

This has worked well in other games, despite the immersion breaking nature of the mechanic. What is in place now in Shroud is not working well, at all. Currently, as of build 458 ranged combat is broken.

And I'll say it again, so there's no mistake: If there are particular encounters that are being exploited, remove the encounters or remove the exploiters.

Finally, if the perception distance IS the pathing distance, and this is a performance issue to expand it? You need to seriously consider the elephant in the room, and shooting it in the head (dynamic scene lighting). If there isn't enough performance overhead to allow spawn-to-leash pathing along the default navmesh in any scene, currently? You need to steal that from somewhere else where it's purely a visual benefit, and not affecting core combat mechanics.

14. Katrina Bekers

I'm ranged.

Sara is melee.

I bring mobs from afar into @Sara Dreygon obliterating 2H sword prowess.

I pull. She kills.

15. Deiniak

Deiniak Avatar

That's was i'm afraid of... those skill having no purpose if you do no damage on a mob until he see you.

16. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Ahh ok I understand :) Hmmm.. well it certainly isn't happening to me all the time, more so if there are trees or rocks near the line of sight.. they are within range, and usually should take damage, but instead take 0, they don't even aggro on you.. so pulling is hard for myself unless I get a great wide-open view of my target. Then it works all the time...

Dantuin and Katrina Bekers like this.
  17. agra

agra Avatar

That's because the way it works right now is, if ANY PC-controlled entity (player or pet) is within melee range, then you can attack and harm the target with ranged damage.
    If you can convince your pet to attack a creature first, then you can range-damage it.
    If there are two players (i've tested this extensively with my brother) as long as one is melee'ing, the other can attack at max range (whatever max range is for that ability, be it fire/obsidian/ice arrow or aimed shot)

Dantuin and Leostemplar like this.
  18. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Hehe that sounds more exploitable than whatever they tried to fix with this range bug. :)

19. Katrina Bekers

I have no pet.

I'm the closest player to the unsuspecting/unaggroed mob. The avantgarde, the scout, the puller. The closest entity to a wandering mob. Nobody else is near me the rest of the group is happily meleeing behind me.

My first shot is the opening attack, that draws mob's attention - otherwise oblivious of my presence.

Then it's just dashing toward the meleeing companions and see the XP pool skyrocket.

We passed around three hours between Deep Ravenswood and Twins Foothills doing so, yesterday.

Acred and Fister Magee like this.
  20. Scrambler

"If the creature cannot PATH to you, you cannot do damage to it. It has nothing to do with perception"
    You wouldn't be able to do damage to a ranged mob while he's attacking you from a platform for instance. He can't path to you, but he can attack... you would take damage, but he would be immune.

"Once you damage a creature, it must know about you and must path to you or be invulnerable."
    Sounds like what we are doing. For ranged, there's an extra check to allow for them not pathing to you, but able to attack. If that happens we allow the damage.

"In the rare cases that a creature loses a path to you after engaged, it will go invuln and return to it's spawn point"
    Also sounds like what we are doing.

KuBaTRiZeS, Fister Magee and NRaas like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.