When will we see the massive advertising campaign?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, Jan 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

With launch 69 days away I kinda expected advertising to begin rolling out. I haven't seen much yet and i've been looking.

Has anyone seen launch specific advertising yet?

Other than the main website page, tv radio magazines etc.

gtesser, Salix, Ahuaeynjgkxs and 5 others like this.
  2. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

in my yesterday's livestream in twitch... I had a viewer who only learned about the game after reading Sword of Midras... he got the game right there and, hopefully, he's playing and enjoying the game right now...

my point is... the game is still somewhat unknown... there's still a lot of potential for success... :D

3. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

To be honest I really expected tons of advertising to hit before launch..

We do still have 69 days or so but you only have 1 commercial launch right?

Will we see a super bowl add? (Might need another seedinvest or 2)

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  4. Malimn

Malimn Avatar

Everyone has been talking about this big wave of people who they expect to show up to play the game when it is officially published. I for one do not see this happening and due to the "GRIND" this game requires I do not see the new generation of players sticking with the game... I have invited a lot of my friends 10+ to play and after playing for a couple of months they quit stating they already have one life they live and do not want to have to spend hundreds of hours in a game just to be able to be strong enough to go out and fight things in harder areas or be able to make something in game now that they have obtained the funds.

Those of us who have put in the time and effort do hope the game survives but right now I am one of the doubting Thomas' of this group.

FYI... I have spent over 5.2k on this game and I am now doubting this games long term viability

danjacobsmith, Ajivani, Arc and 10 others like this.
  5. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Yea me too, they have all quit and have much hate for the game. However the game has improved a lot i'm pretty sure more will stick now. They have fixed a lot of design flaws and have made massive improvments recently.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    Astirian and Numa like this.
  6. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Getting back on topic....

With ten weeks away, right about now is when i would expect stuff to start appearing.

I cant help but wonder how much budget is allocated towards marketing.

7. Numa

Numa Avatar

This is a massive understatement, I often get shocked about how little known SOTA is outside these forums. Hope it gets much better as we approach release :)

8. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

I play usually in a guild with 100+ members. A lot of them got SotA but didnt play due to lack of features for guilds and PVP. They all grinded in other games though. Playing the game becomes a grind if it has no purpose or goal. That is the problem SotA has.

9. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

It would be wise to wait a bit sooner to launch. Trust Portalarium that they know exactly when to strike when the iron is hot!!!

10. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I only recently got a few friends to join all of them are loving it. I did find that those I invited too early did fall off the horse for abit as there was not much fleshed out. Some have come back to check in and are loving it. the rest I tell to hold off until release unless they want to get ahead abit. I think most the negativity has more to do with people that joined early stages before the content was in, and players who have been around for a while that are beyond that content. Long term I think the game will do just fine and will continue to pull in new people. I think the new people coming will have a much better time then most of us had as testers for sure as it will be exciting and have a lot more to do at their levels and as they progress new stuff is still being added to keep them going.

Myself I have not don't much more then crafting just now starting to adventure a little bit, as my goal was to get GM's to make the top end gear on release. Its my business plan, not too much of a fun plan but in the end it will pay off I think :)

11. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

It's not like there is a requirement for a hard date to be the launch time. We're already live and chugging, so we won't be having a count-down to when the doors open. I expect that within a week of the launch date we'll start seeing Facebook ads and probably some on the websites that have come along for the ride the past four/five years. They'll be more of the "come now" type, not a "releasing soon!" There may be an in-game party that day and other events, but that's the only reason that day will be special. Anyway, that's my hypothesis.

Hornpipe and Mortanius like this.
  12. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

Was it not recently the Devs stated that on release there was a lot of things we have not seen that they were holding back in secret until release as they didn't want us to see or know everything. I swear that was stated in the last two telethons :)

13. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

That would be very underwhelming, I hope they do a better job than that. Kinda half the point of seedinvest was to help fund advertising and publication.

I want BIG and explosive, "Play SOTA"

K1000 and Mortanius like this.
  14. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

Me , too I have been getting my Town and vendors and buildings ready and planning lore and future events etc to bring to other players. I want to see a crowed puller as we call it in entertainment industry :)

Brass Knuckles likes this.
  15. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Sure, I suppose that would make the day more interesting, but like I said, we're not barring the door from entry in the week leading up to that. We're not going to turn down anyone before the official day.

Maybe they have bigger plans for the advertising. This is the digital age. They don't need to plan five months ahead to get that full-page ad in the gamer magazine. Where would you put ads for a game that already has a shaky relationship with half of it's target audience?

16. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I too.. have invited over 20 close friends and over 500 people on my mail list that I somewhat know who played on UO freeshards and were EAGERLY waiting for the next "spiritual sucessor to ultimas" especially if it had the Lord British name one it...

of my 20 close friends only one actually subscribed, he played around 10 hours and quit and told me never to speak to him again about Lord British... I did post about it on here but was ridiculed by people telling me "this game isn't for anybody" well I played all ultimas and UO with that friend, he had a VERY high opinion of Lord British. I actually cried that night... laugh at me if you want I don't care anymore.

of the 500 from the freeshards, not a single one subscribed and even felt insulted that I ever thought this could be interesting to them, I actually got banned from many forums for posting ads about SOTA (I was enthusiastic like @Sempiternal Dragon for the longest time). I thought it was ok to post ads there because I came here myself on the invitation of an amazing lead dev from the biggest freeshard.

He was even offered a free account here by portalarium, I am not going to repeat the rant he sent me by mail when he left after only a few days playing... it wasn't nice or shareable. He said the reason he posted the rant to me was because I'm the only person who asked him for feedback, he said he was ignored completely by the devs and community. Just like I am ignored by pretty much all devs who often say, if you have questions or concerns just IM us, we always reply. Well the only person who ever considered my input like a human and replied here is Lord British himself (props on not judging the nerd I am), that fact alone is worrying.

Never seen such a angry e-mail in my entire life... he was genuinely demolished to have sent this invitation e-mail to his whole shard mailing list.

Speaks volumes I think... this is all people that WANTED a lord british game, like badly, like I they were waiting for it, looking for it.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  17. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Hardly anyone has heard of the game imop, ive made lots and lots of gaming friends over 32 years of my gaming life and its always a what's that expirence every time I mention sota.

The game is not yet at but closing in on a state where ill recommend it again. Im still a bit embarrased I pushed it early to friends and family.

18. Numa

Numa Avatar

I'm still hoping to get my nephews and nieces hooked :). But I'll wait until release time when all the polishing is (hopefully) done.

Rada Torment and Brass Knuckles like this.
  19. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

My community has 400 members aprox, playing 10-15 online games (our biggest group in Albion, with 60+ active players). About 30-40 members bought this game long time ago, and we are only 12 player actives now playing. There is still a big room for a new audience but a good advertising is needed.

K1000, Numa and Ronni like this.
  20. TheBalance

TheBalance Avatar

Hopefully the delay isn't because they're realizing it's not ready for the last big PR push its going to get and are considering delaying it - thus not advertising with a date they'd only have to change. I've tried to find some coverage of the launch beyond mention of the official launch, tongue-in-cheek references included, to no avail.

I'm worried that, at this point, the advertising they have done is either WAY too little or, possibly, done in the wrong places to the extent that even people looking for it can't find it. Could we get a heads up on where we can even point our friends to, to show them that the game is for real and this is their "official" launch? Even just a link or two from a 3rd party covering it would go a long way. If anyone has them, please PM them to me and I'll edit this and insert them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.