Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

When will we see the real death mechanics?

Discussion in 'Release 28 Feedback Forum' started by Poor game design, Apr 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

@DarkStarr

As we get closer to the final wipe, I can't help thinking that the real death mechanics have yet to be introduced. We can't seriously be thinking about using what's in the game now when we go live, can we?

If that's the plan, I don't find death to be meaningful at all. It's pretty much a joke at the moment unless you're in a few rare areas where ankh's haven't been placed and you're virtually trapped forever unless you log out and spawn on the overland map.

So what gives, what's the missing piece of the death mechanics that you still haven't added yet. How is death going to have meaning that prevents players from just respawning over and over again near their mob of choice endlessly gaining experience points?

Do tell.

2. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I think it's about right, personally.

But if one finds it too easy, remember that we can always impose our own death penalty on ourselves from a role playing perspective if the game is too easy. Just died? Drop and do 50 push ups. Go walk the dog. Do the laundry. Feed the kids. Then come back. No reason to be bound only to the penalty the game gives you.

Cirsee, CrazyPhil, Chatele and 3 others like this.
  3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'm pretty sure that the game is live right now.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
    Time Lord likes this.
  4. John Markus

John Markus Avatar

Usually those "real death mechanics" kicks in once we are all sucked into the game world.

"Gradual memory loss of home (earth)" is the usual pattern.

Of course, we cannot discuss this now. It will be too revealing, removes the fun out of the upcoming death game.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Better question is: when will Q2 be posted...

6. Mata

Mata Avatar

Ice Queen and Fister Magee like this.
  7. Culann

Culann Avatar

If memory serves me well, RG has said that death, in many instances such as dungeons, etc., will require you to return to your corpse to get your loot...sorry, can't remember the details, it's been awhile!

Leelu likes this.
  8. Alexandra Cornfellow

Alexandra Cornfellow Avatar

I was under the obviously erroneous assumption that one suffered accelerated equipment degradation upon untimely dirt naps. I have always tried, with debatable success, to avoid death because of this. Perhaps this is another game I'm thinking of.

'What a drag it is getting old' -Mick Jagger

Leelu likes this.
  9. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Morning... before I leave to work I would like to say for the record that last time we talked about this I went completely nuts about how can we talk about meaningful death in a sims.

Of course we were going for convenience, again.

How can we do anything else in a game where we get feedback like :"I got 30 mins of play a day so yea, why would I want to walk on the overland map". So on and so on...

"Why would I want to lose a precious part of my equipment which I am ENTITLED to"

"why would I want to have stats penalty, I'll just log off and stop playing"

Make sure you know there WERE NOT FROM ME.

10. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

The death mechanic as originally described was that you would die and your ghost would appear at some point in the scene ( I suppose where ankhs are now).
    Then after some period, if nobody resurrected you, your corpse would be pulled to the same location and rejoined with your spirit.

But I don't remember it ever working that way.

11. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I could handle a small hit to the xp pool on every death.. a % based on the size of it perhaps? I agree, and would like to see a little more incentive to NOT die and repeat an attack to overpower a stronger enemy(s).. we aren't highlanders... yet...

12. Drocis the Devious

I really like the idea of corpses being able to be pulled (by other players). This happened in Gemstone III and it was AMAZINGLY fun. People could try to steal your corpse and put it out in the middle of no where.

I would love to see some kind of mechanic that allowed for this type of interaction (balanced of course to avoid over the top grief).

Leelu, HoustonDragon and Fister Magee like this.
  13. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Which is, of course completely different from the universe bringing your corpse and spirit together so you couldn't lose it.
    I don't want any new features that continue to delay the game.

14. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Man, I miss Gemstone III. I loved playing a cleric in that game, and especially being a Follower of Voln :p

15. Drocis the Devious

One of my characters was a Sorcerer that knew Voln Fu. That was the last character I ever had there. Good memories.

Leelu and HoustonDragon like this.
  16. Crazy Phil

Crazy Phil Avatar

I wouldn't mind if death stayed the way it is currently. It's a fairly minor inconvenience, sure. I am okay with that though. I'd rather not be severely punished every time I die.

While we're talking about death though, I'd still love the ability to walk around and see other ghosts! Dance with other ghosts. Perhaps ghosts could give off a similar effect to the living as stealth does... only during the dead of night! That'll make nighttime a lot more frightening, especially in PVP. ;)

Leelu and Fister Magee like this.
  17. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Ehhhhhhh...... No.

18. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

This is one of two reasons I never did much fighting at all in UO. Hated dying and having to retrieve loot from a corpse that was likely in the middle of a spawn that would just kill me again and again with no hope of retrieving my stuff. So very frustrating that I stopped fighting anything but easy stuff where I didn't die.

(other reason was the hopeless search for a wandering healer - never around when you needed them!)

Mata, Leelu and Rhiannon like this.
  19. Womby

Womby Avatar

Sophi makes a valid point. If death is too punishing then rather than adding an extra level of excitement, the death mechanic will teach people to avoid risk. That will make for a very boring game. Finding the right balance will not be easy.

20. Drocis the Devious

Yes, agreed. But I don't think what we have now is anywhere close to the right balance. That's the point of this thread.

This being an iterative process, I assume the devs have additional mechanics planned to make death more meaningful than just floating over to an ankh and magically fighting again at full health. Currently, this death system is quite redundant.

What I would prefer is to have people go back to their bind points when they die. This would help the regional economy GREATLY. As it stands right now, players can die on purpose just so they can run through a control point and use an ankh at the other side. There's no sense of loss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.