When you build houses and lands and stuff like this - - -

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Weins201, Nov 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

you really need to get the lock down issues fixed.

[​IMG]

There are only 70 items left to be placed in this entire house, this table alone could take 200 to make it look like a feast is ready to be served. Seriously need to look at taking items like a table / Bookshelf / Rug / anything that can have items placed on them; and allow them to be combined. Once combined they move as a unit and will stay like that on hands - - - once placed in another container they separate back to ind items.

This house is HUGE and the effort to decorate for a Holiday party is AWSOME, When people see this they will love it.

It however is just another point of disappointment for players who purchase large (expensive) items like this and cannot do them justice.

You can add all the store items you want but when you cannot effectively decorate something like this????

Time / Money needs to be spent finishing things like this which have been "waiting for optimization" so numbers can be adjusted F-O-R-E-V-E-R. (not wasted making items for sale)

Sadly with every release you leave "small" problems like this alone and shrug them off. eventually there will be no one left to see you shrug.

Vallin Tregres likes this.
  2. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Yeah, the same issue has wrecked any desire I had to be a POT governor. Fallout 4 kinda ruined me before I got here when it comes to decorations. I like how some of the alchemy merchants have shelves outside their stores with potions and books and such on them I'd love to do that. But I can't with only five items for my row house. Not to mention, I couldn't even hang wall mounted shelves on the outside.

Then you see how much stuff Port decorates with in areas, and it's way more objects to render in the same space than even if they let row houses get ten outdoor objects. I feel sometimes like they figured that the largest lots get X stuff, and everybody else gets less because, well, they didn't spend as much money in the store.

3. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

One of the main reasons why "our" stuff costs more (performance) than NPC towns/houses, is because we can move/angle it in any direction at practically any moment. Now OP suggested a way to get around this (maybe) by fusing all the items permanently into "1" item. That might actually work, I don't know!

Nelzie likes this.
  4. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Ah, good point. Even so, the limit for exterior items on village lots, which are four times the size of row lots, is 400. I feel like a row lot limit of 10 or 15 is not unreasonable, absent other mitigating information. (Though, one exterior light source does seem right, even if two would be nicer.)
    Unless doing so actually edits the meshes, I don't think it would make much difference. The game would still need to deal with all those polys. Making them a group would only affect how they counted toward the lot maximum, which defeats the purpose of having a lot maximum if a player can designate thirty objects piled on a rug as one item. A bookshelf filled with thirty books turned into a single item by the player would still contain all of the polys and textures of the single items- I don't think it would be possible to have the software re-mesh and recreate UV maps and other optimizations that would make a "filled bookshelf group" a more lightweight object for the game engine to deal with than the bookshelf and thirty books. I may be wrong about that, as my 3d experience is all on the CAD and manufacturing side of things, but others in my department work in the irregular mixed-up world of quads and tris and meshes, so I've picked up a little where that stuff is concerned.

Nelzie likes this.
  5. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

Don't get me wrong, I own 2 Row lots... would LOVE more deco( as 5 is pretty stingy), especially for designing a storefront! Eventually it WILL come once more and more (and more) optimizations have been implemented by the devs.

Yea, I wasn't sure about the fusing items into one. I was hoping that once they considering the items no longer dynamic as in, unmovable ever again, it could maybe reduce the load somehow... but the way you explained it, probably not.

6. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

With every piece of furniture and every item, fully rendered, even when it can't be seen... because someone could walk by a window and look in... these hard limits they have set are just something we have to accept, for now.

If they work out a way to do something like Id did in Rage, wherein only the portions of something directly in view were rendered... that might help, but I doubt that is a possibility in the Unity engine.

It would be fantastic for that to be worked out though!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.