Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Where am I? Where is my house? Which way is south.

Discussion in 'Release 2 Feedback' started by Mingo, Jan 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

--Is there an in game mini map? How do you know the compass directions? (I need to go south to find bandits). And I can't remember where my house is.....

Steve736, Time Lord and Miganarchine like this.
  2. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

It would definitely be nice to acquire a compass object which unlocks a user interface compass, as one can certainly get turned around quite easily otherwise. :)

3. Last_Crusader

Last_Crusader Avatar

I understand that some consider minimaps ruining immersion. But you can still have a minimap that shows you a compass direction. We don't need a minimap (like Diablo 3 or Guild Wars) that just gives us a big yellow arrow telling us where to go. But

What would be a good middle ground is a map that pops up when you hit a key "M". It shows you where you are at .. which direction you are facing .. and lets you edit it yourself .. add in your own highlights or notes ... WoW had some great addons (that let you do that and it was pretty fun).

As long as maps only show places you have explored .. that is fine.

4. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

One of the devs was showing off their idea of a map style in one of the chats: Where you would acquire a map object for the town, and then you could bring it up to get the general layout of the town.

There was also some discussion regarding whether you would be able to annotate it with notes and such.

I believe that is the concept for the future, though I'm not sure where in the implementation schedule it is currently.

Time Lord and Valice_Belgraham like this.
  5. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

If <P>eer at gem doesn't work, try alt-213.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

The optional mini-map was one of the stretch goals, so we should get one. That is just not part of the current test. Heck, we don't even have a full map to explore yet. :)

Time Lord and NRaas like this.
  7. Sir Mike Dragon

Sir Mike Dragon Avatar

In one way I'd almost prefer no map, that would be a real old school way of playing. You would eventually learn how to navigate by memory and landmarks and would make exploring more adventurous. But a compass wouldn't be a bad thing. Unless you want true hardcore exploring where you navigate by sun position. That would be kind of interesting.

8. Busukaba

Busukaba Avatar

Haha! i already did some sun navigation. For fun I was talking to NPCs and got on to a story to rescue someone from the Clink. Anyways, regardless of the Clink not existing yet I set about trying to find the west gate house using sun position. It's find for a grid based town, but if you're given vague directions for somewhere out in the wilderness and night falls or it's a rainy day, it could be really easy to get lost without a compass.

Personally, with work and family, I don't have a lot of time to play. I'm cool with a mini-map that reveals locations that you've been to only to keep some people's illusion of immersion or whatever keeps them happy. But it's a bit much to ask to do dead reckoning using the sun...

Steve736 likes this.
  9. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

--IF the sun was shining and IF I knew the local time I could navigate yes. And at night they could perhaps have a "North Star". But one quest giver told me to find the bandits to the south, which was kind of silly with no compass reference or map.

Time Lord and Steve736 like this.
  10. Maka

Maka Avatar

Mingo that issue could be worked around by the guard that says the market is north of him. :). At least till the impasse shows up.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Curt

Curt Avatar

Two spells i really would like to see is Peer and Xit from ultima 4.
    Has way to easy to get lost in mazes so a Xit to escape could be appreciated

12. Sir Mike Dragon

Sir Mike Dragon Avatar

You're right of course, it wouldn't appeal to the mass of players and would be frustrating for most. I just think it would be interesting. Even if I had a mini-map and compass that I could turn off, I probably wouldn't do it for long (if at all).

Steve736 likes this.
  13. Steve736

Steve736 Avatar

I'd like not only a mini map but a cruise control that will jog my avatar elsewhere on the minimap with a single click so I don't have 10 minutes of frustration bumping into things getting from here to there. Also please show the vendor locations on the minimap.

Sir Mike Dragon likes this.
  14. Valice Belgraham

Valice Belgraham Avatar

"I think it would be safe to say, most people interested in this style of game don't want any handouts, or information given to them for free. But, having the ability to craft your own maps, or buy your own town/local maps to gain the feature of having a limited mini map for the corresponding area would be vital. As well as being able to own a compass, or to find out enough information from locals to determine the cardinal directions based off of astrological sightings is a must.

It does me no good to know the guard house, where the clink is at, is located in the western part of town from an npc, if I have 0% way of determining where west is, since this world might not have the same representation of directions as Earth does"

Quoted myself from a R1 post.

Steve736 likes this.
  15. monxter

monxter Avatar

Welcome to Orienteering of the Avatar! :)
    We could have a compass though, but someone needs to craft it first...

16. 3devious

3devious Avatar

+1 for at least having a compass. My career as a cartographer of Britannia is on hold for the time being. Which crafting discipline will be able to make a sextant?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.