Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Where did all my tools go?

Discussion in 'Release 27 Feedback Forum' started by Miracle Dragon, Feb 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Personally, I use bag-mode, and the tools just disappear from my inventory when they are 'equipped' and i can't find them anywhere on my person. Instead of existing in the real world of my character, they are attached as an icon in the skills menu.. this is very confusing. Don't these things have a weight? Why can't i see all my items i'm carrying and have equipped on the character sheet where all the other equipped gear is located?

People who use bag-mode are doing so because they don't like having to play the game with 'windows' that don't make sense while role playing as their character. Suffice it to say, I don't appreciate having to use these windows for most dialog, all skills, deck building, trading and transactions, tutorial tips, even money isn't in the game world, and is just a GUI point counter, and now even just using a tool for gathering requires it?

How do others feel about this? And who agrees that this doesn't feel at all like a living world when more and more of the interaction is being taken out of the 3D environment, and put into GUI windows with lists and icons?

HairballHacker, Lained and Duke Raas like this.
  2. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Confused me the first time I "equipped" one of the tools, because as you noted, the tool simply vanishes.

I got used to it eventually, and actually find it handy now as it keeps my bag-mode inventory clean (I used to store them all in a separate small bag to keep them out of the way, don't need to do that anymore), but yes it was disconcerting at first.

Frankly, I think we got the better hand this time around... The List Mode chaps still see the darn things listed (though in grey), which I would find annoying. :p

3. Miracle Dragon

Hmm.. I guess I just think we should be able to see the tools on our character sheet <c> with the rest of our equipped gear. I'm sure I'll agree I like the concept, maybe the skills window could be represented by a 'tool belt' which shows the various tool slots, which automatically tab to the proper skill.. i don't know.

Duke Raas likes this.
  4. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  5. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I don't care... An open bag is just a window to me, as long as I can use my tools, I don't care if "I" can see them or not... No one else could see them on my person, so why care?

6. Miracle Dragon

Just as an example, I have a problem where if I can't see things, I forget about them. I have to hang clothes up rather than put them into drawers.. I can't put anything in drawers, I need shelves and tables where things can be set and visible. Since these tools have durability and weight, and are actually objects (that we need to keep track of) they should be represented as such. Bag mode is perfect for that because when i put something in a spot in the bag, it's in that same exact spot the next time i open the bag. I'm not playing a card game, and i'm not playing a pen and paper table game.. a big part of the appeal of this game for me is the world simulation, and I'd like to make sure the interface is congruent with that concept.

SmokerKGB likes this.
  7. HairballHacker

HairballHacker Avatar

And I still don't like it. I expect to see an equipped item in my list of inventory items.

Also, when I have two weapon\armor sets that I can swap to, the items in the set that I swap away from go into my inventory and the items I swap to are removed from my inventory and become equipped. Very confusing even now. AND, far too often I have accidentally sold the items in my inventory that are part of one of my weapon\armor sets because of this weird behavior. Quite infuriating. Yet another way this game tries to be "realistic" at the expense of being convenient.

8. Miracle Dragon

Hmm.. in list mode they could just ear-tag all gear that is assigned to a set (or skill) to keep us from thinking it's loot.. in bag mode they should all leave the main inventory and be placed in, i guess, the character window. I haven't tried using 'alternate sets' because it doesn't make sense to me how i could be walking around with several sets anyways. I really don't ever open the skill windows or deck windows or any of that rubbish. Unfortunately, it seems the game requires quite a bit of micro-managing which I just don't do because it takes me out of the game world. I hope some solutions can be found.

9. HairballHacker

HairballHacker Avatar

They could, but they don't.

The only reasons (currently) I use "sets" is 1) to switch from a ranged to a melee weapons or 2) I just want different sets of skills for different reasons. "Sets", it seems to me, are just for convenience and as such have not yet riled up the ire of the supporters of "realism".

10. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I have to agree with you here, and I see we have a "belt" slot now on our portrait, and I know in the past we've had suggestions for a "tool belt", so maybe it's time for that container to be created... When opened, it would show all our tools, and we should be able to change them from there too... I know I'm spoiled by having all prosperity tools, which don't wear, but that's not the case for everyone... Perhaps, these belts can be specializations to add say a 10% bonus when a crafter specializes with just a harvesting ax, cubic measure and a carpentry hammer for a 10% woodworking bonus... Just some thoughts...

11. niteowl57

niteowl57 Avatar

For those who don't modify your deck much or use deck swapping, here's a suggestion to see something -- Press Y and click to Modify your equiped deck, and when you get there, click the Use Current Equipment button and watch what happens.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.