Where do we explain what Runic is?

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by Poor game design, Dec 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Is there any place (early) in the game where we explain what Runic is? I don't remember seeing anything.

This seems like a very basic thing that we should be explaining to new people.

- What is Runic?
    - How do you translate it?
    - Where does it come from?
    - What's the historical significance?

2. Bulivyf

Bulivyf Avatar

A good part of a "student" questline, potentially. Finish it with a damn oral exam from the NPC :p

Very good points though.

3. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

Now where is that copy of my Futhark?

http://www.therunesite.com/elder-futhark-rune-meanings/

Not sure how to link this. If someone can tell me I will edit. RG did some changes (bobbit and balron anyone?), but it is the basis.

Would be a good book to find in the starting scenarios.

4. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

We do not yet have the technology to have runic and latin alphabets in the same book but when we do one of the first books you will find will be a runic dictionary with the aforementioned explanation.

5. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

I definitely think there should be a quest line in-game that educates new players on the language of Runic and having a translation book as the final reward would be great!

Perhaps the quest line could start by asking NPC's in the starter towns about "strange" <Font / Text / Letters / Language / Etc.> and any combination of those after "Strange" would make the NPC respond by sending you to speak to the local bookseller NPC about it. Then when you find the bookseller and ask about the Strange xxxx, you could be given a note with a few key letters translated, (perhaps those to spell out the name on the town sign, or some other sign that is close by) and then you have to make the translation and repeat that name/word back to the NPC to complete the quest and get the "Book of Runic Translation". :D

Or, in the meantime, you could simply direct the new player to http://sotawiki.net/sota/Runic so they could get the translated alphabet now and also learn a bit about the language too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.