Where Have All the Role-players Gone?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fireangel, Sep 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

*raises a pint* You all know where to find me when you have a thirst that needs quenching! *winks and smiles brightly*

2. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

Do NOT feed the trolls. Every point is not something to fight about. State your point of view and let the chips fall where they may, and drop it. If necessary, just *put your fingers in your ears to drown out trolls* and la, la, la...

3. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

I agree with Fireangel. Saying you are a Role Player is alike to saying that you are a raider or a PvP-er. Its a gameplay style. Noone who says that RP will kill the game and drive players away is right in their mind. Actually I know several games who survived BECAUSE of the Role Players. UO was one of them and I hear Europa still has some of the fond guilds there continuing to RP.

The game's core is based on the same principle that a role player adheres to: You are your character in a fantasy living breathing world. Thats why we have housing and decorating system and crafting and player cities. All these are integral parts of the game as well as role play.

4. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

I've found the "Ignore" button to be very helpful if you find yourself tempted to say something you shouldn't because of a troll ;)

5. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

Role Playing Game (RPG) - What the heck are you doing here in any RPG if you do not approve of role play? Just saying. *shrugs*

6. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

Looks down from her perch in the rafters upon a small group forming in the room below her. Tilting her head ever so slightly, she listens closer to what the fuss is all about.

"where is everyone?"

"What are these oddities in the way they act and speak?"

The conversation continues in this fashion. Having heard enough she leaps down from the rafters , landing softly on her toes near the edge of the enlarging group and asks but one simple, yet forward question.

"You ask where the people are. You say - they are this way or that but not the way I wish - My friends, I pose to you. What makes you think they are not what you claim they are not? Who is to say that the way they are acting in your presence is not a mask to cover who they truly are? Are you so observant to think that just because they are not acting in a way you think they should, that they are indeed not acting? I for one stand here, fully capable to tell you, I myself for most of my time in the church, in the taverns amongst the people, and most of the days in the moon tower. I am acting, and yet I am told I am not. Who says these others, are not also acting?

The man on the corner hollaring his wares to sell. The boy who just ran past moments ago with what could only appear to be full working knowledge of the troll language. The man who rampaged and acted a court jester during the ceremony this morning in the Church of the Dark Starr until most in attendance were flustered. Who is to say they were not acting in ways they would not normally act? Where are all the people? They are around you, you may just need to open your eyes a bit wider and see, they too may be acting."

She folds her arms, shakes her head as a flush of disappointment crosses her face.

Judge not, lest ye be judged. ((this includes ones ability to RP!))

7. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

Bravisimo!

8. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

A lot of players just fail to appreciate it. That's all. You could classify every game as a role-playing game in some way. Whether you are playing another personality or gender, or perhaps encouraged to be yourself in another world. No matter what you do, aspects of your real life character will be prortrayed in-game. Even full blown acting will have your influence.

Even if you don't get too in-depth with this, simply avoiding 'OOC chat' or any references to without the game is a form of roleplaying. And I'm glad this thread has provided us with a website and players who share similar idealogies because we're going to need these names for our friends lists! :)

9. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

The Shroud of the Avatar Role Player Community's purpose is just that Dean, to bring the role players closer through a portal that will contain all things role play. Ofcourse, at the moment RP isn't viable (not as much as we would like, at least) in the game yet, so basically it serves as a starting point for veterans as well as new role players. Check it out.

10. Ariella Shadowdancer

Ariella Shadowdancer Avatar

Been doing some training and some traveling.

11. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

Trolls will be trolls. Anyone who is 'disappointed' by old school role players can be whatever... I'm not affected or effected by their excrement/ manure/ shenanigans. I'm authentic. What you are is your business.

12. Amber Raine

Out of Character obviously - Disappointed by old school role players - I am one. I do not disappoint myself. Nor would I call myself a troll ~smiles softly~ My point was more in the focus of what makes one any more or less authentic then another? Or is there a written law that says "you must act your character in this manner in order to be considered a role player".

What makes the court jester any less a role player then the uptight, speak proper, follower of rules? What makes a chaotic wench any less a roleplayer then a by the book high fashion citizen?

If they stay to character, remaining true to what they first were and continue to be in that character, are they not all role players and therefore, all around you?

13. Greymarch

Greymarch Avatar

The is role-play going on in almost every game out there, you just need to look for it. I have had great RP in World of Warcraft, Warhammer Online, Guild Wars 2 and The Secret World. The only game it never really seemed to click in for me was Wildstar.

14. Amber Raine

I found some of the best in GW2 and TSW - playing with the illuminati was so much fun. Sadly as the game came closer to the end (finishing all quests and maxing out everything) it got slightly dull, but the interactions never did!

I shall always remember the one time in Guild Wars 2. I was standing at the marketplace, talking (in text, in character) to the vendor (yes an NPC) and a person came up to me and asked if i was a real person ~laughs~ I had to respond with "last time i checked". They thought I was an NPC of the game because of the continued conversation I had with the merchant. It was priceless! My acting must not be that bad, if it is convincing enough to look like it is a scripted part of the game ~smiles~

15. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

Disappointed in others and not in yourself? ok I'm authentic, meaning that I say what I mean, and that is the beginning and the end of it. Not that someone with other opinions has inauthentic opinions.

16. Amber Raine

Disappointed in how so many do not look around and see all the actors playing their roles that others are not seeing. This is an issue that has happened for as long as online gaming has been in existence, and was not directed at anyone in particular but all games, all entities, all over. I simply believe there are more out there then given credit for ~smiles~ Everyone has their role to play.

So no Miss Fireangel, not disappointed in others, disappointed in what is missed, the situation, and chance to embrace other players acting ability or helping them enhance what they might not have completely figured out yet. This, is my disappointment.

17. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

Ditto / truce, as always

18. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

19. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    *looks up from his grimoire* Ahhh to speak of what we are.......? I am that which many have come to despise, that which has been shunned. I may have been absent in my writings for some time, but alas, am still around....... Those that wish to exact revenge upon me are those that wish to meet my knife.....muhahahhahah. I do not understand the language of some, this role-play, what is this? I could no more act the part of a peasant cleric than try to deceive all that I am a king! I am this, what you see, what you smell.... I am a product of nature, not unlike any of you who assume to judge my intent, or my cause. I am possibly the greatest paradox in existence, having compassion, and incapable of love.......Having an urge, incapable to cure.....I am cursed, but seen as a curse........*looks back down at the grimoire* There must be an answer to this blight.........Muhahahahahaha

20. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Heres what you do (it is what i do most of the time!) I know there are certain people that will argue with me every chance they get! When they reply to anything, i laugh, because i know they will argue with it! I dont ignore anyone either, ive been reported quite often! Ive been banned i think around 2 times at a month time period each! Because i do speak from my heart, and mind!
    Sometimes i feed the trolls just to amuse myself at how ridiculous it can be, and how easy it is to get them riled up! Other times i just ignore it!
    There will always be one or more people out there that will just not bend to what others want and this is where they fail! I paid for this game, you paid for this game, everyone has paid something for this game! So you know what? play it how you want and play your character how you want! Its that simple!
    Am i going to follow the quest line in this game? Maybe when i get bored i will, but until then i will roll play my guy the way i want too, i will have my own individual RP character that i control, and i can care less what others may think of it! I took on this game to enjoy it! So i will! Everyone will have an opinion of everything, and that's their right as well as yours! My roll play is going to be as follows, cleric type, warrior if i kill someone in the game i had a reason for it! Whether that reason is good enough for them, or not! Will i just roll up and kill anyone for no reason, never! That is my roll play i would rather help someone out than attack them.
    Dont let other nay sayers ruin your game for you! play how you want, and enjoy it!
    Of course Portalarium will have differences amongst them, thats the way it is when your trying to develop a game, you look for what the majority wants and try to give it to them and the capabilities of the team, you also look at what the minority wants and try to give it to them also, so that everyone can be somewhat happy, you also want to attract more people because that equals more money! In the long run it is a business! I think Darkstarr put it well when he was talking to us on the video awhile back, "All players will be equally unhappy no matter what style they play" which goes back to the old saying. "you cant please everyone" no matter how perfect this game becomes there will always be someone that disagrees!

Torniquet dons his armor, slinging his back pack on his back, and drops his faceplate. Throws his cloak over his body, and lifts his two-handed warhammer to his shoulder and slides it into his custom warhammer hanger on his back. Climbs upon his valiant steed "Troll Stomper" then points off into the distance and says "Your destiny awaits you there!" and rides off towards the sunset, into the beginning of once again, another grand adventure!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.